New stuff finally arrived.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
In this specific situation where 600C is already well designed horizontal center (at least James likes its smaller brother - 500C) the difference isn't that big to be concerned but in many cases, vertical orientation beats horizontal.
I recommend reading these two articles:
As Pogre correctly said, a horizontal center would be useful if you ever find yourself in a none-AT screen situation.

As for the next upgrade, you may want to consider a subwoofer upgrade. don't get me wrong, dual X12 are force to be reckoned with, but they are a bit weaker in lower bass (below 40hz). It really depends on your typical usage and how much of a bassaholics are you :)
I'm more than happy with the amount of bass they're pumping out right now lol. My wife would say that it's way too much. So there is a bit of a WAF to work around as well.

And since I literally (within the last 3.5 months) just bought both X12s, I'm not looking to upgrade them any time soon. Also given the size of the room (18.5' × 10.5' × 7.5' about 1460 cubicfeet), I'm not sure I need more bass TBH (though I'm going to possibly try sneaking a 3rd X12 in there at some point).

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Comparison of the old Espon 8350 vs the new 5050. Wow. The size difference is massive:

20210708_202738.jpg

20210708_202745.jpg

The picture quality is amazing compared to the old 8350.
20210708_213617.jpg

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Also, the WAF went way way up last night. She had been kind of meeehhhhh about the whole upgrade to the HT room, until I finished hooking up the new Projector last night. She hadn't been in there yet since I'd moved the L/C/R higher. She went and sat in the front row and played a few different movies to try out. She turned around and looked at me with this huge grin on her face, she looked like a kid on Christmas day. She said that the way the sound came through the screen made it seem like the voices were coming directly from the actors mouths. And the picture quality was incredible. She's a fan now. Before we went to bed last night, she even asked me what my next planned upgrade was :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, the WAF went way way up last night. She had been kind of meeehhhhh about the whole upgrade to the HT room, until I finished hooking up the new Projector last night. She hadn't been in there yet since I'd moved the L/C/R higher. She went and sat in the front row and played a few different movies to try out. She turned around and looked at me with this huge grin on her face, she looked like a kid on Christmas day. She said that the way the sound came through the screen made it seem like the voices were coming directly from the actors mouths. And the picture quality was incredible. She's a fan now. Before we went to bed last night, she even asked me what my next planned upgrade was :D
Ha! Congrats on that! My wife has changed her tune also and lightened up mightily after the last upgrade when she heard her music sounding so good. She went from a death stare every time I mention anything audio, to "how much better will it sound?".

Once you get the wifey won over the rest is gravy man. That's awesome.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya the WAF sometimes revolves around the picture but once they are onboard it’s going to be the movie spot. I let my GF control the picture settings on my 4K TV and surprisingly she dials it in perfect. (Well I do the adjustment under her direction). As far as the sound, that center channel is always key. I swear my GF can tell if I need to increase 1 or 2 dB on the center speaker every time. LOL :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'd say Bored's suggestion is a pretty minor nit. That 3 way center you have is a very good center so I wouldn't give it too much thought. Plus if you ever change it up and ditch the AT screen you're flexible enough with placement for other alternatives.

I think you should be ecstatic! You're picking really good gear and following a lot of good advice. I'll bet right now it sounds pretty awesome in there! Just keep doing what you're doing. You've made some great choices. Ride the wave and keep having fun!
I must say you are right about that center channel being excellent BUT considering how much of the load goes to the center channel in a home theater. There is nothing like 3 identical towers on your front 3. Once I went to 3 towers in the front I've never gone back. I do realize this isn't always a realistic option for some

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Now that my good sir is a WIN.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
More pics of the new subwoofer isolation stands I built. Back subwoofer:
20210711_093335.jpg

Front subwoofer:

20210712_175520.jpg

I also moved the screen up 6" higher as it was a bit too low for the back row. I put rubber washers on the screws holding the brackets that hold the screen up as it was rattling due to the vibrations. Much better.

Except for the problems I detailed in my other thread about the Dolby sound modes, I'm extremely happy with the way its all coming together.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are you insulating from? Sympathetic floor vibration? Sure hope that surround mode issue gets sorted out....

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
What are you insulating from? Sympathetic floor vibration? Sure hope that surround mode issue gets sorted out....
Floor and walls. The house isn't old per se, only built in 2004, but it was definitely not built for the kind of HT room system I've now got installed in there. Stuff rattles around in there. This has made a big difference already.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Floor and walls. The house isn't old per se, only built in 2004, but it was definitely not built for the kind of HT room system I've now got installed in there. Stuff rattles around in there. This has made a big difference already.r.
What stuff particularly makes noises? Not that unusual with decorations/bric-a-brac stuff or even poor construction. Sometimes you need to insulate those from what they sit on rather than mess with the speakers/gear....but can't imagine those things doing much one way or the other

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis