New stuff finally arrived.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Some new images. Started setting up my gear to mount the ATS this weekend.

View attachment 48914

View attachment 48915

I'll post more pics later of the mounted screen. Also, I wanted to raise the L/R speakers. Couldn't find any speaker stands that were capable of handling the weight (none that I could get easily and quickly anyway), so I started building my own. 5/8" MDF 12" w × 15.75" d × 20" h. I'll fill them with sand:

View attachment 48916

View attachment 48917

There is a lid with a 2" hole and a 3mm rubber mat on top. I'm going to sand and paint them as well as add some kind of feet to the bottom. I'll also post pics of the finished product once I'm done.
I like it I built sand boxes for my towers and subs I think it does wonders for improvement in the deadening of vibration for large towers and especially subs . I believe it completely decouples them from the floor my sub boxes finished out at 80 lbs and the boxes for the towers are around 35 lbs . That’s a great looking setup you got .

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments and input.

The center is high, but in relation the the seating positions with my 2 rows of seating, it sits just above ear level for the front row and just below ear level for the back row.

Just need to get the L/R risers/stands finished up to that level now. I built the first one last night. Pieces are cut for the second, just didn't have time to assemble it last night. Still need to sand and paint, and fill with sand. Should have that all done before Thursday when my new Epson 5050 is supposed to arrive. Just in time for Black Widow on Friday night :cool:

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Second box built now. Went and got some sand to see how much it would take to fill. Holy crap. There is about 150lbs of sand to fill the box. Yes, 150lbs. It took 2 × 25kg/55lb bags, plus about 80% of a third one.

20210705_204524.jpg

Pics of the mounted screen:

20210705_183934.jpg

20210705_183955.jpg

I still have to attach the bottom of the screen to the brackets. I needed another steel bar for that, but Home Depot only had 1 in stock. Had to run to Lowes tonight (where I got the sand) and grab another one. I'll post pics of the bracket system I rigged together to mount the screen once I take it down to put on the bottom bar on.

Then I have to get those crazy risers/stands painted and put in place...........o_O

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Second box built now. Went and got some sand to see how much it would take to fill. Holy crap. There is about 150lbs of sand to fill the box. Yes, 150lbs. It took 2 × 25kg/55lb bags, plus about 80% of a third one.

View attachment 48935

Pics of the mounted screen:

View attachment 48934

View attachment 48936
I still have to attach the bottom of the screen to the brackets. I needed another steel bar for that, but Home Depot only had 1 in stock. Had to run to Lowes tonight (where I got the sand) and grab another one. I'll post pics of the bracket system I rigged together to mount the screen once I take it down to put on the bottom bar on.

Then I have to get those crazy risers/stands painted and put in place...........o_O
Ya may want to paint them with out the sand in them I thought mine were insanely heavy at 80 lbs I can’t imagine moving them bad boys into place . Nice work by the way your efforts near my tweaking approval ;-)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Why so much sand?
If you are worried about resonance issues, use cross braces.
I get making certain the stack isn’t insanely top heavy but you should be able to successfully balance that need with a half bag of sand. :)

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Why so much sand?
If you are worried about resonance issues, use cross braces.
I get making certain the stack isn’t insanely top heavy but you should be able to successfully balance that need with a half bag of sand. :)
I definitely didn't plan on that much sand, it was just a function of the size that the boxes ended up being. That being said, I'm not worried about it. They'll be nice and stable anyway.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I made some small risers for my towers I use as surrounds and filled them with sand, took 50lbs each and that didn't quite fill them....and I did it for raising them up primarily, the sand more for stability as I compared to a hollow box and made no difference to my ears (but have rubber feet on the speakers, too). The next riser I built for my center I didn't bother with sand but it's not in a place where it's likely to get knocked into compared to the surrounds....

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
More pics of my madness :eek: speakers are now ~20" off the ground.

20210706_203303.jpg

I decided to install the stands/risers tonight before I paint them. Due to my upcoming schedule, it's going to be a minimum of 6 weeks before I'll have time to paint them. Couldn't wait that long to install them.

20210706_195703.jpg

2nd pic gives you an idea of my mounting system I made. 4 × 20" wall brackets, with a piece of slotted steel 8' long to mount the screen to. Each bracket can hold 250lbs when installed into a wall stud (which I did). So my ~40 ish lb screen is secure lol.

20210706_202055.jpg

I might actually cut the boxes down. But for now, I'll leave them be.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Watched the 5th episode of Loki on Disney + tonight. It's amazing how much different (IE better) my front sound stage sounds now with my Paradigm Speakers, and even how much better it sounds now that I've got them all elevated. Amazing.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Watched the 5th episode of Loki on Disney + tonight. It's amazing how much different (IE better) my front sound stage sounds now with my Paradigm Speakers, and even how much better it sounds now that I've got them all elevated. Amazing.
Awesome! What eq did you need to do for the screen being in front of the speakers if any?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, so those weren’t the world’s deepest litter boxes?:D I pictured some kind of Frankencat.:eek:

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Awesome! What eq did you need to do for the screen being in front of the speakers if any?
I haven't done any EQ/room correction yet. I was talking to a guy on the AVS Forums, and he said to give the speakers a 40~80 hr break in period before doing any kind of tweaks. I've probably only run them for ~20 hours so far. Plus, I still need to replace my YPAO microphone that I can't find, to be able to run that room correction.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't done any EQ/room correction yet. I was talking to a guy on the AVS Forums, and he said to give the speakers a 40~80 hr break in period before doing any kind of tweaks. I've probably only run them for ~20 hours so far. Plus, I still need to replace my YPAO microphone that I can't find, to be able to run that room correction.
Eh, break in is one of those nebulous claims without a lot of actual fact behind it. Most would say your speakers are as broken in as they're gonna get after the first few minutes or seconds even. The exception, maybe, could be subwoofers with thicker surrounds and heavier drivers.

A few of us have a theory that the whole break in thing was started so folks would give their speakers more time before deciding whether or not they like them. More to do with the listener breaking in to the new sound. Doesn't hurt if those break in periods just happen to take you outside any return windows too.

Your setup is looking really good tho man! I'd love to check it out in person.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The only thing getting "broken in" here are your ears :) Enjoy the new setup, though minor suggestion, If I'd go with AT Screen, I'd go with a vertical center speaker.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
The only thing getting "broken in" here are your ears :) Enjoy the new setup, though minor suggestion, If I'd go with AT Screen, I'd go with a vertical center speaker.
I was originally going to go with 3x 800F, but at the time I ordered the speakers I wasn't sure when, or even how, I was going to get an ATS to work in my room. So I opted for the 600C instead.

I'm still a complete noob to this whole HT/audiophile thing, so it's a learning process. Thus far though, I'm ecstatic about the way things are turning out. My new Epson 5050 Projector arrived yesterday, so I'll be hooking that up tonight.

Next upgrade will be an AVR, but probably not until later this year/early next year.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Next upgrade will be an AVR, but probably not until later this year/early next year.
Wait, if you can. At least until later this year to see how the new ones (actual 2021 models) are working. I, however, am firmly in the school of waiting until 2022 before I consider upgrading.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was originally going to go with 3x 800F, but at the time I ordered the speakers I wasn't sure when, or even how, I was going to get an ATS to work in my room. So I opted for the 600C instead.

I'm still a complete noob to this whole HT/audiophile thing, so it's a learning process. Thus far though, I'm ecstatic about the way things are turning out. My new Epson 5050 Projector arrived yesterday, so I'll be hooking that up tonight.

I'd say Bored's suggestion is a pretty minor nit. That 3 way center you have is a very good center so I wouldn't give it too much thought. Plus if you ever change it up and ditch the AT screen you're flexible enough with placement for other alternatives.

I think you should be ecstatic! You're picking really good gear and following a lot of good advice. I'll bet right now it sounds pretty awesome in there! Just keep doing what you're doing. You've made some great choices. Ride the wave and keep having fun!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait, if you can. At least until later this year to see how the new ones (actual 2021 models) are working. I, however, am firmly in the school of waiting until 2022 before I consider upgrading.
I've been leaning this way myself more and more. The whole HDMI DRM situation is a big flaming pile of poo right now. Ima sit tight and keep squeezing my SR6011 for all its worth. I have absolutely no reason to update what I have now anyway.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd say Bored's suggestion is a pretty minor nit. That 3 way center you have is a very good center so I wouldn't give it too much thought. Plus if you ever change it up and ditch the AT screen you're flexible enough with placement for other alternatives.
In this specific situation where 600C is already well designed horizontal center (at least James likes its smaller brother - 500C) the difference isn't that big to be concerned but in many cases, vertical orientation beats horizontal.
I recommend reading these two articles:
As Pogre correctly said, a horizontal center would be useful if you ever find yourself in a none-AT screen situation.

As for the next upgrade, you may want to consider a subwoofer upgrade. don't get me wrong, dual X12 are force to be reckoned with, but they are a bit weaker in lower bass (below 40hz). It really depends on your typical usage and how much of a bassaholics are you :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I've been leaning this way myself more and more. The whole HDMI DRM situation is a big flaming pile of poo right now. Ima sit tight and keep squeezing my SR6011 for all its worth. I have absolutely no reason to update what I have now anyway.
Also best to wait an additional year to get the close out deals to save money on an AVR purchase…. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis