New SongTower speakers

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Greg
Yes, its Friday, and I am now at work! There are several pressing matters I must get off my desk today before I leave.

There are 3 boxes that DHL says they'll deliver today. Two are now with the delivery courrier, and the 3rd is off in DHL land somewhere. I'm going on the assumption that DHL, like UPS or FedEx, usually does all its deliveries to business and commercial sites during working hours, and saves its home deliveries for late in the afternoon or early in the evening. I'm checking the website once an hour.

John
That's a great testimony to how good the SongTowers are, you listened once and bought them immediately. Where you expecting to buy some speakers that day, or did they take you by surprise?

I've heard the prototypes at Dennis Murphy's house 3 times since he first started working on this general design. I was hooked last May, but they didn't become available thru Jim Salk until August.

oldgoalie33

oldgoalie33

Junior Audioholic
Swerd,
Well, Jim told me he had a pair left that weren't yet spoken for, and said I could take this pair if I liked them. I was hoping I'd like how they sounded since it's about a 3 hour drive from my place to Jim's but yes, my intention was to buy them if I liked them. Turns out that wasn't a problem...their sound literally blew me away! The only issue for me was the finish, but Jim said if I got home and my wife didn't like it he would take them back and build me a pair in another finish (where else can you find that kind of customer service!!??). My wife is happy with the honey locust finish though. I actually prefer the piano rosewood pair he built for himself, but my wife doesn't care for it (too dark for her). The cherry finish you're getting is pretty nice too. BTW...Jim told me when I was there he was finishing up 2 more pair...those must have been yours and the pair he built for himself.

John

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Any trucks in front of your house yet? I sure hope they are in better shape than my Credenza that arrived earlier today!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think Swerd's speakers may have killed him!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Brief SongTower update

I got two out of three boxes last Friday. One had a speaker and the other had the bases, hardware and grills. The other speaker was somewhere between Michigan and Maryland. I think DHL screwed up :mad:. After learning that DHL doesn't deliver on weekends, I decided I had a choice between pitching a fit and being patient. Patience won.

So I unpacked the speaker, screwed on the base, and played it. It's wonderful, but it was frustrating not being able to hear it in stereo. I'll wait until I can hear them in stereo before I comment on their sound.

I'm extremely impressed with the build and finish quality. The appearance of the veneer is MUCH BETTER than the photos. I'll try to take better pictures myself. The grill frames attach to the front baffle with buried magnets, so when they are not on there is no visible grill mounting hardware.

Also the speaker was extremely well protected for shipping. It was wrapped in two layers of carboard and 1.5" styrofoam board on all six sides.

It's now Monday afternoon. The other speaker arrived today about an hour ago. I had gone home for the delivery (again), but I haven't unpacked it yet. The outer box looked OK, and considering how well the first speaker was packed, this one will be fine. I'll hear them both tonight :D!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Awesome; let us know what you think and take a lot of pictures.

I got two out of three boxes last Friday. One had a speaker and the other had the bases, hardware and grills. The other speaker was somewhere between Michigan and Maryland. I think DHL screwed up :mad:. After learning that DHL doesn't deliver on weekends, I decided I had a choice between pitching a fit and being patient. Patience won.

So I unpacked the speaker, screwed on the base, and played it. It's wonderful, but it was frustrating not being able to hear it in stereo. I'll wait until I can hear them in stereo before I comment on their sound.

I'm extremely impressed with the build and finish quality. The appearance of the veneer is MUCH BETTER than the photos. I'll try to take better pictures myself. The grill frames attach to the front baffle with buried magnets, so when they are not on there is no visible grill mounting hardware.

Also the speaker was extremely well protected for shipping. It was wrapped in two layers of carboard and 1.5" styrofoam board on all six sides.

It's now Monday afternoon. The other speaker arrived today about an hour ago. I had gone home for the delivery (again), but I haven't unpacked it yet. The outer box looked OK, and considering how well the first speaker was packed, this one will be fine. I'll hear them both tonight :D!

oldgoalie33

oldgoalie33

Junior Audioholic
Swerd,
Glad you finally got them! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine!:D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
more SongTower pics

I recently took a few photos of my SongTowers. Browse the 10 photos at photobucket

This one is my favorite

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis