NEW RSL Speedwoofer 10E Subwoofer - $300 Shipped!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Would I love to see an 18” RSL? Yes. Yes I would like to see another large format subwoofer to beat the overpriced pb16, and really establish RSL as an endgame company.
I do not think the PB16 is over-priced. Its 16Hz-40hz performance is what you would expect from a good 18", and the build quality is insane. It also has all the modern DSP tweakability with its app. It's a really good sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I do not think the PB16 is over-priced. Its 16Hz-40hz performance is what you would expect from a good 18", and the build quality is insane. It also has all the modern DSP tweakability with its app. It's a really good sub.
Well we’ll have to agree to disagree.
For the nearly 3k of the ultra IMO, there’s better performance out there. I use minidsp and rew so the app doesn’t mean that much to me. It’s cool, but not a deal clincher.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well we’ll have to agree to disagree.
For the nearly 3k of the ultra IMO, there’s better performance out there. I use minidsp and rew so the app doesn’t mean that much to me. It’s cool, but not a deal clincher.
There is better performance for the money, but the PB16 gives you the whole package: great build quality, good industrial design, excellent post-purchase support, and tons of features. It's a well-rounded sub. Nothing else hits all of those notes quite like the PB16.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There is better performance for the money, but the PB16 gives you the whole package: great build quality, good industrial design, excellent post-purchase support, and tons of features. It's a well-rounded sub. Nothing else hits all of those notes quite like the PB16.
Well again, I respectfully disagree. I do value your opinion, even if I don’t always align with it.
IMO I can still get the whole package somewhere else.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Betcha those will sell well!
Agree they’ll probabuy sell out as soon as they’re available. Great to see companies making quality affordable equipment. Hope the reviews show they test well.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Might order one in the next few days. My only concern is living in a condo with neighbors on both sides and above. Plus, my Infinity towers already go down to 38db. But if I lived in a house, I'd order 2 of them. :)

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Just got the email that they are available to order. Get ‘em before they’re gone!

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Two of those, 600 bucks, like the specs, 40lbs plus looks like the port is Elongated in the back bottom?
300 watt D Amp. Get a lot for just 3 Benjamin's. Interesting sub. Yep just waiting on Shady J test and review. Two 10" subs to replace one 12" 150 watts sub. Seems to be a good budget sub.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
They sell as fast as they make them. Received a message that they should be back in stock mid-July. My Mirage 12 inch sub bit the dust today after many years, so I’ll be ordering one as soon as it’s available.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Waiting for the full review to see if his initial thoughts stand up to rigorous review…
There has been a lot of delays in being able to test subwoofers this year. Hopefully the measurements get done this week, but it will still be awhile before the review is complete. It will get done though.

Slykingoh

Slykingoh

Audiophyte
Now they just need to build an 18” Speedwoofer that is a Dayton UM18-22 killer.
Shouldn’t be hard to do.

Then I will take them seriously. ;)

Right now I merely respect them. :D
I don’t understand why the fascination with 18” drivers. A well designed 15” will perform just as well and cost less. The cabinet for an 18” is substantially larger than the corresponding 15”. The parameters that matter are excursion, power and lastly driver size. Port design is incredibly important.

A complete lack of understanding of specifications seems to also exist.

One user writes his speaker is good to 38db!

Clearly, that user meant 38hz but that’s a specification in a bottle. We need an output level with it. So 38hz +/-6db @ 93 db means that the speaker will be down no more than 6 db at any point in its frequency response. Without that data the frequency response is useless the output could be 84db SPl barely a whisper. Even the 93db number is wimpy. My subwoofer does 125db SPL at 34hz. It pounds! My mains hit 136db SPl down to 80hz. They mate perfectly with my subs. Additionally I time aligned the subs to the mains. Phase errors are so important to eliminate.

This is quite a diatribe. I hope it brings some understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Slykingoh

Slykingoh

Audiophyte
Buy 4 of them for 1200 dollars and you get 1200 watts rms and it’s 400 dollars less then 2 12s woofers and 200 watts rms more. You could do 2 stacks to save space or spread them out for better sound.
Or you could just buy a dual 15” from JTR and be done with it.

Slykingoh

Slykingoh

Audiophyte
Giant subs just aren't big sellers on the whole. It's an inherently niche product.
Well somebody is buying them. I have giant tubes from SVS that are as tall as my wife! Great output for the dollar until I have a room that will handle the JTR.

The SVS are a great design with high output and low distortion.

Slykingoh

Slykingoh

Audiophyte
Might order one in the next few days. My only concern is living in a condo with neighbors on both sides and above. Plus, my Infinity towers already go down to 38db. But if I lived in a house, I'd order 2 of them. :)
38db? That’s below a whisper. Better order 12 of them with that spec!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don’t understand why the fascination with 18” drivers. A well designed 15” will perform just as well and cost less. The cabinet for an 18” is substantially larger than the corresponding 15”. The parameters that matter are excursion, power and lastly driver size. Port design is incredibly important.
All other things being equal, an 18" woofer will have 44% more displacement than a 15". It is also easier to use a larger spider in an 18" that allows for higher excursions. I would have to agree that 15" is the sweet spot. A ported 18" is just way too big to be used outside of a dedicated space.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis