New Rotel RSP-1576 mkii / Apple TV Sound Delay

C

Chrispy1328

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone!

I recently upgraded my Marantz AVR/preamp to a Rotel RSP-1576mkii. The sound is phenomenal with my RMB 1555 and B&W 5.1 setup.

But there are a couple glitches/bugs/quirks, most noticeable with the Apple TV (which is what we use 90% of the time). Wondering if anyone else has these issues and if anyone has any suggestions?

1) When I start a program (regardless of which app or service I’m using), there’s a delay of several seconds before any sound comes on. Sometimes, after a commercial break too, the sound goes out for a couple seconds.
2) Sometimes, after I hit play on a program or when I finish one program a move to the next episode or a new show, the sound goes off entirely.
3) When I power on the system (regardless of whether I’m using Apple TV or another input), it takes upwards of a minute for the blue power light to stop blinking and the unit to complete its startup.

Very much appreciate any thoughts you might have!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like the Rotel is defective....do you still have the Marantz to see if its the ATV or not?

ps You might try a factory/microprocessor reset on the Rotel, too.

C

Chrispy1328

Audiophyte
Thanks — I’m afraid I don’t have the Marantz anymore, but I’ll try a factory reset.

Also good to know that I’m not crazy, and that’s not normal!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is the one minute warmup time mentioned in the manual? Could be severe hdmi handshake issues I suppose, too....

C

Chrispy1328

Audiophyte
Is the one minute warmup time mentioned in the manual? Could be severe hdmi handshake issues I suppose, too....
Yeah, I thought maybe it could be the HDMI cables — replaced them with Audioquest Cinnamons, but alas no effect.

And no — I didn’t see anything in the manual about the startup time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I thought maybe it could be the HDMI cables — replaced them with Audioquest Cinnamons, but alas no effect.

And no — I didn’t see anything in the manual about the startup time.
Don't know what Fraudioquest would solve/prove :) Friends don't let friends buy Fraudioquest! HDMI handshake issues are generally not a cable thing, more the hardware involved.

C

Chrispy1328

Audiophyte
Don't know what Fraudioquest would solve/prove :) Friends don't let friends buy Fraudioquest! HDMI handshake issues are generally not a cable thing, more the hardware involved.
Thanks and thanks! That actually makes more sense than anything else I’ve come up with…

Are there interconnects or HDMI cables you suggest? I was afraid that may be the case — felt a little snake oil salesman, but I didn’t know better! ‍♂♂

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I source cables from Monoprice generally, and have a Mediabridge one, too. Fraudioquest is dripping in snake oil.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks and thanks! That actually makes more sense than anything else I’ve come up with…

Are there interconnects or HDMI cables you suggest? I was afraid that may be the case — felt a little snake oil salesman, but I didn’t know better! ‍♂‍♂
Audioquest is very good at convincing people to spend more money than they need to!! I would never spend more than $20 for a 1 to 2 meter HDMI cable. As HD suggested, Monoprice's are fine.

Amazon.com : hdmi 2.1 cable

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks — I’m afraid I don’t have the Marantz anymore, but I’ll try a factory reset.

Also good to know that I’m not crazy, and that’s not normal!
Yes, try up to three hard resets.

We get these sorts of posts pretty regularly that feature boutique brands with HDMI issues. This comes down to the fact that these brands do not have the resources to implement HDMI successfully. The problem is that HDMI and its associated HDCP codes are just ridiculously complicated, and totally defeat smaller outfits.

I had a Rotel pre/pro some years ago, but did not own it long. It has a list of issues.

I think basically your choice of reliable pre/pros comes down to Marantz or Yamaha. Even my latest Marantz 7705 was initially buggy, but quite a number of firmware updates over the first few months resolved the issues.

Let s know how you get on, but I'm fearful these issues will not resolve. If reset does not solve the issues, then if you are in the return window I would drop that Rotel like a hot potato.

J

Jazzy16

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone!

I recently upgraded my Marantz AVR/preamp to a Rotel RSP-1576mkii. The sound is phenomenal with my RMB 1555 and B&W 5.1 setup.

But there are a couple glitches/bugs/quirks, most noticeable with the Apple TV (which is what we use 90% of the time). Wondering if anyone else has these issues and if anyone has any suggestions?

1) When I start a program (regardless of which app or service I’m using), there’s a delay of several seconds before any sound comes on. Sometimes, after a commercial break too, the sound goes out for a couple seconds.
2) Sometimes, after I hit play on a program or when I finish one program a move to the next episode or a new show, the sound goes off entirely.
3) When I power on the system (regardless of whether I’m using Apple TV or another input), it takes upwards of a minute for the blue power light to stop blinking and the unit to complete its startup.

Hi Everyone!

I am experiencing similar issues with my RSP-1576MKII. My processor takes a long time to boot up. I experience a signal delay when switching from one audio format to another (Apple TV included). I am also having Dirac issues. I can load Dirac filters into the processor just fine but they later disappear and all of my slots are empty. Sometimes it happens after switching inputs, sometimes it happens after turning the processor off and on again. Have you setup Dirac? If you have, have you experienced this? And if you have, have you checked your Input Settings to verify that the Dirac filters are still loaded in the relevant slots? The Canadian Rotel distributor is looking into this for me - waiting to hear back from them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am experiencing similar issues with my RSP-1576MKII. My processor takes a long time to boot up. I experience a signal delay when switching from one audio format to another (Apple TV included). I am also having Dirac issues. I can load Dirac filters into the processor just fine but they later disappear and all of my slots are empty. Sometimes it happens after switching inputs, sometimes it happens after turning the processor off and on again. Have you setup Dirac? If you have, have you experienced this? And if you have, have you checked your Input Settings to verify that the Dirac filters are still loaded in the relevant slots? The Canadian Rotel distributor is looking into this for me - waiting to hear back from them.
Obviously the software is not up to snuff.

Rotel gear has long been suspect in my book. My first pre/pro was a Rotel and it had significant shortcomings, including an internal ground loop.

Rotel is a family owned Japanese company. They had a strong alliance with B & W for many years. In 20/20 B & W and associated brands like Classe were purchased by Sound United. They did not pick up Rotel and ended the association.

In my estimation, Rotel does not have the resources to competently develop a reliable pre/pro or receiver. This applies to other boutique brands.

Life is now over complicated in large part forced by HDMI and its HDCP codes.

The other complexity is this auto Eq. I know from my experience that this auto Eq is not necessary, and attempts at global Eq are doomed to failure.

What is required are reliable units that have switching, reliable HDMI, and preamps that are "hair shirt" wires with gain.

I rate you prospect of success solving your issues as remote.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic

Rotel gear has long been suspect in my book. My first pre/pro was a Rotel and it had significant shortcomings, including an internal ground loop.

Rotel is a family owned Japanese company. They had a strong alliance with B & W for many years. In 20/20 B & W and associated brands like Classe were purchased by Sound United. They did not pick up Rotel and ended the association.

In my estimation, Rotel does not have the resources to competently develop a reliable pre/pro or receiver. This applies to other boutique brands.

The other complexity is this auto Eq. I know from my experience that this auto Eq is not necessary, and attempts at global Eq are doomed to failure.

What is required are reliable units that have switching, reliable HDMI, and preamps that are "hair shirt" wires with gain.

I would disagree with you on Rotel's ability to develop a preamp. My P5 is as good as any on the market. However, one of the reasons I did go with the Anthem A/V receiver was that I did not see that as a Rotel sweet spot.

Last edited:
J

Jazzy16

Audiophyte

Fair to assume that your comments don't apply to the RSP-1576MKII in particular. I have owned a variety of Rotel pieces over a 30 year period and have always had great success with them. True that things are much more complicated these days. I should also say that, thus far, the Rotel distributor in Canada has been great about addressing the issue.

Z

Zenzi

Audiophyte
Hi guys. I have exactly the same issues as Chrispy 1328 with my Rotel RSP 1576 MKII. I took it to Homation for a firmware upgrade. That didn't help. Seems to me its a hardware issue. I’ve changed HDMI cables, did a factory reset and nothing seems to work. Is there anything else that you guys can recommend.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi guys. I have exactly the same issues as Chrispy 1328 with my Rotel RSP 1576 MKII. I took it to Homation for a firmware upgrade. That didn't help. Seems to me its a hardware issue. I’ve changed HDMI cables, did a factory reset and nothing seems to work. Is there anything else that you guys can recommend.
Yes, ditch that Rotel. That is your only solution. Get a Marantz pre/pro. I think all round they are the best out there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to imagine the quality differences between Marantz and Rotel are significant.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hard to imagine the quality differences between Marantz and Rotel are significant.
Well the Rotel is buggy, my 7705 is not. My first pre/pro was a Rotel. That was not a good experience. I have now owned for Marantz pre/pros, and they do their job.

I honestly would avoid boutique brands for units requiring complex software and hardware.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Well the Rotel is buggy, my 7705 is not. My first pre/pro was a Rotel. That was not a good experience. I have now owned for Marantz pre/pros, and they do their job.

I honestly would avoid boutique brands for units requiring complex software and hardware.
LOL. Rotel is hardly a boutique brand any more than MacIntosh is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis