Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looks like Tom V. has a few new subs to show off over at PSA:

S1500
V1500
S3000
S3000i
T18

The big change for most of the line appears to be more power courtesy of US sourced ICE amps from SpeakerPower. The T18 is an update of the Triax with 18" drivers vs the old 15" models.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. I'll definitely be talking to Tom when it is time to upgrade :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Pulse response (courtesy of Jman) of the PSA XS15se sure looks like a tight, musical sub (especially if you can cross it 60Hz or lower!) beating out many more expensive options! I hope their new sealed subs can perform so well!

PSA XS15se

For reference, here is the SVS SB-13Ultra:

and JL Audio E112:

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
That T-18 looks like it could be a game changer at that price point. I really need to win the lotto.

DJ

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
The specs on the S3000i are mind blowing for that price point.

I have an XS15se, and couldn't be happier... Well, maybe if I had a second.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not quite sure on what's with the commotion and salivating. New Hsu-vtf3 mk5 hp and vtf15h mk2 have nearly identical performance s3000 and s3000i and cost less

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Any new sub release will always garner some sort of stir or commotion. Like you said.... they look comparable in performance. The higher costs of the PSA units can be attributed to them being sealed designs...which usually increase the overall cost due to design goals & higher amplification requirements. Personally fall into a category of wanting more sub but not necessarily a bigger/or larger sub so...to hell with the cost....I think both the s3000 or 3000i will deliver the goods...aamof...I might speak with TV and see how much more I would benefit with the added ICE power modulus... if I was to upgrade.

Last edited:
ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Not quite sure on what's with the commotion and salivating. New Hsu-vtf3 mk5 hp and vtf15h mk2 have nearly identical performance s3000 and s3000i and cost less
Couldn't possibly disagree more.

The HSU VTF 15 mk2 better compares with the PSA V1500 which is basically the same price. Comparing a VTF ported sub with a true sealed design (S3000/3000i) is a poor comparison to say the least, but the 3000i blows it away, as it should at it's price point.

CEA 2010 (1M, ground plane)
Freq HSU 15 mk2 V1500 S3000i
16-25 115 116.6 115.5
31-50 125.4 124.5 130.4
63-100 126 126.4 136.3
16-100 122 124.3 129

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
whatever blows or not we shall yet to see, but as for comparing VTF design to inefficient sealed one - I think you way off mark here

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
To put the claimed performance of the S3000 and S3000i into perspective...
Snap.jpg

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm hoping Ricci will have the time and they pay him enough to review/test all these new subs. I don't think they'll have nearly identical performance except for output at some frequencies. I would expect the ported HSU subs to have more output around their tuning point. The sealed PSA subs would have more output below the ported subs' tunes and probably have more output at higher frequencies. The sealed subs are generally smaller if you care about size. I think they are all good subs though and most people would be happy with any of them.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
whatever blows or not we shall yet to see, but as for comparing VTF design to inefficient sealed one - I think you way off mark here

“whatever blows or not we shall yet to see,”

What’s this supposed to mean? The CEA 2010 numbers are pretty clear on the output of the subs in question. CEA 2010 limits come into effect long before if a sub is about to ‘blow.’ The CEA 2010 data for both subs was provided.

“but as for comparing VTF design to inefficient sealed one - I think you way off mark here”

Wait, you’re the one comparing a VTF to a true sealed design, and what exactly am I off mark on? I’m calling such a comparison poorly advised and basically apples and oranges. But, even when you do, the S3000i outperforms the other VTF 15 mk 2 in all respects according to the CEA 2010 data- and by a sizeable measure (justifying the cost difference). You said it didn’t. The data says otherwise. But, if I wasn’t clear before, comparing a sealed design and a sub with vent(s) shouldn’t be advised. But, like I said the V1500 was a better comparison and basically the same price and performance as the HSU VTF 15 mk2.

Also oversimplifying a true sealed design as inefficient is rather obtuse. There's a lot more to the sealed vs vented conversation, such as personal goals, and system set up. I chose a sealed design, because according to the data available (speakers and room size), and my goals, that was the best choice.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I wish manufacturers would post their test results with output measured at specific frequencies, rather than frequency ranges.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I wish manufacturers would post their test results with output measured at specific frequencies, rather than frequency ranges.
Many of the old Power X line of PSA subs are on Data-Bass. But, yeah, it'd be nice if they all just gave a complete graph.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From pure performance stand point it's VTF-15H MK2 easily compares to S3000 (not i) - while still costs less.
Greater Output above 80hz is nice, but not huge advantage imo. If there a small advantage to S3000 - yes there is, but it's not blow out of water difference. Sub needs to be able to deliver sub 20hz at high level. High output above 60hz is called midbass module - not a sub.

As for sealed vs ported - i think you might be obtuse as for failing to understand basic principle of sealed sub are by design less power efficient. It's fact, not my opinion. I'm NOT calling ether design as best (unlike you).
Vented vs Ported is a matter of preference. Properly designed vented subs could be as linear and distortion free just as they sealed brethen. The difference is VTF COULD be used as sealed if so desired, but PSA sealed subs couldn't be magically ported.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
From pure performance stand point it's VTF-15H MK2 easily compares to S3000 (not i) - while still costs less.
Greater Output above 80hz is nice, but not huge advantage imo. If there a small advantage to S3000 - yes there is, but it's not blow out of water difference. Sub needs to be able to deliver sub 20hz at high level. High output above 60hz is called midbass module - not a sub.

As for sealed vs ported - i think you might be obtuse as for failing to understand basic principle of sealed sub are by design less power efficient. It's fact, not my opinion. I'm NOT calling ether design as best (unlike you).
Vented vs Ported is a matter of preference. Properly designed vented subs could be as linear and distortion free just as they sealed brethen. The difference is VTF COULD be used as sealed if so desired, but PSA sealed subs couldn't be magically ported.

“From pure performance stand point it's VTF-15H MK2 easily compares to S3000 (not i) - while still costs less. Greater Output above 80hz is nice, but not huge advantage imo. If there a small advantage to S3000 - yes there is, but it's not blow out of water difference. Sub needs to be able to deliver sub 20hz at high level. High output above 60hz is called midbass module - not a sub.”

Well, you said both originally, and were very definitive about it. But, again a sealed design and a vented design should never be compared and I’ve already gone into that. That said the S3000 will have a gentle roll off that can take advantage or room gain down to single digit frequencies. You can’t hear these, but you can certainly feel them. A vented design has little effectiveness past its tuning frequency, in this case about 20hz. The S3000 has about 3 db more head room at 31-50 hz, which is double the SPL (and we can agree all sub sound), and about 7 dB more in the 63-100 range. Since LFE tracks are at 80hz, and the THX recommended crossover is 80hz, you’ll still be getting material rolling off from 80-100 hz in your sub. You’ll enjoy about 4 times the SPL head room with the S3000 in this area. More to your point I'd consider the S3000i as a better deal than the S3000

That said, I still think this comparison is really dumb, and I’m tired of repeating myself. The V1500 is the better comparison.

“As for sealed vs ported - i think you might be obtuse as for failing to understand basic principle of sealed sub are by design less power efficient. It's fact, not my opinion. I'm NOT calling ether design as best (unlike you).”

Where did I call sealed best? I said it was best for me for sure, but that’s after I properly evaluated both designs as it pertained to MY set up. Where did I fail to understand that sealed designs are less efficient? I simply think that disregarding them on this single principle is a hasty generalization, and as stated vastly over states the efficiency downfalls of a sealed design.

“Vented vs Ported is a matter of preference. Properly designed vented subs could be as linear and distortion free just as they sealed brethen.”

Yes preference as it pertains to your set up. If your room is under 4000 cu ft, then a sealed design can better take advantage of room gain, and provide super deep frequencies. I’d argue that distortion in a vented design lower than its tuning point is something unavoidable. I wouldn’t approach any sub (sealed or vented) without a decent linear frequency response. Most ID subs qualify. A vented sub will have more head room at it's tuning frequency point. If you have a very large room this is a wise trade off, if not a sealed sub might be better for you.

"The difference is VTF COULD be used as sealed if so desired, but PSA sealed subs couldn't be magically ported."

I think you’re overstating the ‘magic’ of VTF. A VTF can never be exactly tuned for sealed and all ported modes. Tradeoffs have to be made for it to work. It can be close but never exact. Also, I’d imagine that 95% of all VTF 15 owners will want to get the most out of their sub and go one port and call it a day. Josh Ricci attested to this in his review of the mk1, and by the looks of the data, this hasn't changed. If your set up calls for a sealed design, I’d suggest going that way, and if it calls for a vented design then I’d suggest vented of VTF. The VTF 15 mk 2 in sealed mode is a really bad sealed sub. While the V1500 and VTF 15 mk 2 (one port) compare well, the S1500 absolutely smokes the VTF 15mk (sealed.) You also have increased impulse delay so that the VTF can be utilized as a vented sub, one thing that many desire in a sealed design to be super tight. The VTF 15 mk2 makes a very good vented sub however, and the comparison to the V1500 shows that they are very close, and priced very close as well.

Bottomline. You might get the idea I don’t like HSU, or the VTF 15 mk 2 in particular, but this isn’t true. I just think your comparison of the VTF 15 mk2 to the s3000 or 3000i is ridiculous, and the data simply doesn’t back up your claims. It's like you're saying that the PSA subs are rip offs, and that's very disingenuous.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
3db bump is certainly noticeable, but hardly critical. Vented subs also benefit from room gain, while sealed designs need it much more.
In my case - the living room is open to whole house and I would get room gain of exactly nil.

It's like you're saying that the PSA subs are rip offs, and that's very disingenuous.
Please don't put words in to my mouth.
No one, not even me calling PSA subs rip offs, just different in perceived value - and in my option it's a bit less than Hsu at the moment. Early on PSA subs were indeed amazing value, but for various reasons (and that's manufacturer right to do so) - the prices went up considerably. If PSA doesn't want race to the bottom and serve only higher end customer (ala Funk/Seaton) - totally legitimate option for them.

As for comparing vented and sealed subs - I do disagree with you - both subs can produce linear bass output without must distortion - it's apples to a slightly different apples (not oranges) - end result of both designs is same, they just get there differently - so yeah - I feel like such comparison are legitimate.

We could argue back and forward, but we both going to stick to our own opinions. This is my last post on this subject matter and if you feel you need to rebuff - you're welcome to do so. It's free country and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including me - I do admit that I don't know everything, but common sense has rarely let me down before.

As for PSA's honesty:
Image below stretching facts a bit - VTF is 1.0 DB higher in crucial 31-50hz range.
Then it's loosing only 0.6DB to V1500 in much less critical 63-100hz range, yet PSA decides that it would take 1.1 VTFs to compare to V1500... I only wonder how they got to this conclusion. Same goes for in room extension - Who's room? The tiny 4x6 ft of tiny New York apartment or more typical open concept room in (lets say) 6000 sqft home in Texas. Without knowing room size - this spec is meaningless.

Lets price V1500 $100 below VTF-15H MK2 and I will start salivating myself, but $40 more? What for?
Country of Origin USA - I mean do we have a concrete proof that 100% of V1500 is indeed built in US of A? Down to every single resistor in amp circuit? What makes it "USA origin" ?
It's never that simple. All Apple hardware is made in China, yet I don't know anyone who might not consider they as premium product.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would agree that the VTF15h mk2 is more properly compared to the V1500, however there are plenty of points about which you are mistaken.
But, again a sealed design and a vented design should never be compared and I’ve already gone into that. That said the S3000 will have a gentle roll off that can take advantage or room gain down to single digit frequencies. You can’t hear these, but you can certainly feel them. A vented design has little effectiveness past its tuning frequency, in this case about 20hz. The S3000 has about 3 db more head room at 31-50 hz, which is double the SPL (and we can agree all sub sound), and about 7 dB more in the 63-100 range. Since LFE tracks are at 80hz, and the THX recommended crossover is 80hz, you’ll still be getting material rolling off from 80-100 hz in your sub. You’ll enjoy about 4 times the SPL head room with the S3000 in this area. More to your point I'd consider the S3000i as a better deal than the S3000
There is no reason why you can't compare a sealed design to a ported design. After all, Power Sound Audio does it. As for sealed designs taking advantage of room gain down to single digit frequencies, well yes and no. You need a huge amount of output at that level for any sensible bass at all, and that mean more than one S3000 sub. A single 15" sub isn't going to make much of an impact in deep bass. You will need a lot more air displacement. Even with a lot of room gain, a sealed sub will be lucky to match a ported sub for significant deep bass, and even then ported subs can benefit from room gain as well. Sealed doesn't have that much advantage here unless you have a lot of them.

Furthermore, 3 dB more headroom is not double the SPL in the sense anyone in the industry would talk about. It could be considered double the power intensity, but in audio when people talk about doubling SPL they mean amplitude. A 3 dB gain would be considered a 50% increase in amplitude. A 7 dB gain is certainly not widely regarded as four times the SPL.

A for a S3000i being a better deal than a S3000, from the available CEA measurements and looking at the specs, it really doesn't look like it. In your concern is linearity, the S3000i pretty much only gains you upper bass, so basically what you are buying is more compression. I am betting one reason for that is because the sub becomes driver limited at that point, and the sub gets driven well past any reasonable distortion threshold. These drivers can only take the extra power for upper bass output. With the S3000i, you would probably gain more distortion than clean, linear bass. Not that any of that matters to PSA or its customers, who seem to be only interested in an SPL drag race.

I’d argue that distortion in a vented design lower than its tuning point is something unavoidable.
A sealed sub is more subject to audible distortion in deep bass than a properly designed vented sub. A good vented sub will roll off very fast below its tuning point, and so whatever proportion of the sound is distortion, it will not be as offensive because the overall output at that point would be very low anyway. A sealed sub with a normal 12 dB/ octave slope, on the other hand, can be generating significant output well below its Fs, and in doing so runs into a lot more distortion relatively speaking. This can be seen in any of Ilkkas and Josh's measurements.

You also have increased impulse delay so that the VTF can be utilized as a vented sub, one thing that many desire in a sealed design to be super tight.
I don't know about the mk2s, but the impulse delay looks very good for the VTF15h mk1 in any of its operating modes, perhaps as a consequence of its relatively low Q driver. It is comparable to many of the higher-end sealed subs on data-bass.com.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Obviously all rooms are different, but sealed subs can definitely benefit a great deal from room gain. Check out the few in-room measurements on data-bass w/mic @ head position. I think I read that ricci has a ~4000 cu ft room. The PSA XS-15SE did not have a 10hz passing result on the outdoor GP measurements, but in room, it was able to output 101.5 dB. The RA PS-15X also did not have a 10hz passing result outdoors, but passed in room with 91.6 dB (amplifier high pass limited).

There are a few other subs with in room measurements available to compare to the outdoor GP measurements if you'd like to compare some of them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis