Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I took advantage of the Black Friday sale to upgrade my subwoofer from a Klipsch RW-8, to the SVS PB1000. Delivery this Saturday 12/1/18.
I am expecting a system changing experience.
Should I run both subs or only one?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Klipsch will not really add much and may hold you back IMO. I'd run just the PB1000 and see how it goes. For sure it will be a world of difference.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Never a good idea to run a wimpy sub with a powerful one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As J, and Wayne said, no. You don’t want to run them both for a number of reasons. I would sell the little one and use that money to buy another 1000.
FWIW, yes, you will have a transformative experience. Congrats on the new sub!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
As J, and Wayne said, no. You don’t want to run them both for a number of reasons. I would sell the little one and use that money to buy another 1000.
FWIW, yes, you will have a transformative experience. Congrats on the new sub!
I never considered selling the small sub. How would I go about establishing fair market value? Is there a “blue book” for used stereo equipment?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Search ebay and or craigslist and see what others are selling them for.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely not a blue book. DP has it right. I hit eBay and it looks like between 75-110. If that’s not enough to make a difference, you could repurpose it in the bedroom or other small listening area.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Btw, how big is your room?the pb1k is gonna be a big upgrade. I’m wondering though, if it will be enough. Sometimes when we are exposed to real bass, we want more!!!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Btw, how big is your room?the pb1k is gonna be a big upgrade. I’m wondering though, if it will be enough. Sometimes when we are exposed to real bass, we want more!!!
The room measures 8’ high, 16’ wide, 20’ long or deep. Seating postion is 15’ from the screen. No surround sound.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have been trying to type this for 6 hours. Hooked up the sub to the Onkyo 6.5, B&W setup. No comparison to the Klipsch! Clean sound no booming effects. Wife even noticed.

On the Onkyo the:
sub is calibrated at +2
Speakers set to large
Crossover is 40
Double bass is on
EQ is off
Decoder set up on Dolby Digital LFE can be 0db, -10db, or sideways 8(is that reference?) I don’t know how to set that.

Each output has an adjustable volume, I had them all set at +8db, but I turned them all to zero. I normally listen at 57, now 60.

The volume on the sub is at 12 o’clock.

As much as I like it I am wondering if I am getting the most out of the sub. How can I tell how hard I am working it?

Is there anything obviously wrong with how I set it up?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have been trying to type this for 6 hours. Hooked up the sub to the Onkyo 6.5, B&W setup. No comparison to the Klipsch! Clean sound no booming effects. Wife even noticed.

On the Onkyo the:
sub is calibrated at +2
Speakers set to large
Crossover is 40
Double bass is on
EQ is off
Decoder set up on Dolby Digital LFE can be 0db, -10db, or sideways 8(is that reference?) I don’t know how to set that.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

On the Onkyo the:
sub is calibrated at +2
Speakers set to large
Crossover is 40
Double bass is on
EQ is off

Each output has an adjustable volume, I had them all set at +8db, but I turned them all to zero. I normally listen at 57, now 60.

The volume on the sub is at 12 o’clock.

As much as I like it I am wondering if I am getting the most out of the sub. How can I tell how hard I am working it?

Is there anything obviously wrong with how I set it up?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Congratulations on the new sub! As you noticed they are a beautiful product. Just outstanding bass. I must warn you they can be addictive. I went from subs like BIC and Klipsch to these and it started with dual PB 2000's and ended with dual PB 4000's! Aww we I'm so hooked now.

As far as the digital LFE have you noticed that you can only move down but not up? Don't touch that keep it at 0 that's the reference level. You start dialing it down you'll kill your bass because it turns the bass down.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks Danville, I am already wishing I ordered two of them! I am kicking myself for not upgrading before I retired.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. That’s a pretty good sized room for a little pb1k, even as good as it is. As far as telling how hard your working it, I guess you can pull the grill and watch the driver during certain scenes.
I think maybe since your wife has even noticed the difference, you might be able to make a case for trading it in for a pair of pb/pc 2000’s. The reason say that is because, as @danzilla pointed out, once you find true bass you will likely want even more, or even better bass. No I don’t mean that trunk rattling kind of crap you find in car audio lol. I mean real quality bass(like you’ve found now) with depth and power, and linearity. My gut says it’ll be less than a year before upgraditis starts to swallow you. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing either as long as you can accommodate it.(I mean reasonably of course)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Update:
I was going to send this one back and upgrade to the 2000, however when I called SVS to place the order the service advisor walked me through all the settings and I mentioned I wasn’t getting white noise from the subwoofer channel when calibrating so he had me run s test to make sure the sub was working. It is.
I got the white noise and was able to calibrate the sub
This thing screams! I had to turn everything down and the walls literally shake when eatching Rampage.
The service representative’s name was Ted T.
SVS fan for life.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Update:
I was going to send this one back and upgrade to the 2000, however when I called SVS to place the order the service advisor walked me through all the settings and I mentioned I wasn’t getting white noise from the subwoofer channel when calibrating so he had me run s test to make sure the sub was working. It is.
This thing screams! I had to turn everything down and the walls literally shake when eatching Rampage.
SVS fan for life.
All of the major ID sub companies offer great CS, but I think SVS is probably the best of the best for CS!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Update:
SVS fan for life.
Did you order another? :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Update:
SVS fan for life.
Man I'm happy they got it worked out for you! Yeah they're customer service is why I'll be buying a lot of my stuff from them for life!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis