New Outlaw Model 7220 7- CH Amplifier!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I assume the big board on top is the HDMI board. I would like to know how many circuit boards does it have? Hopefully nowhere near as many boards as the AVP-A1. :eek:

One quick thing I noticed was that the CX-A5100 operates about 200% cooler :D than the AVP-A1 and any Denon AVR I've ever seen.

The CX-A5100 chassis temp is similar to the ATI AT2005 amp.

The CX-A5200 (I assume that's the official name) should be coming out this Nov-Dec. Hopefully it doesn't have 13.2 CH like the Denon 8500 and doesn't have SIX sets of RCA, 4 sets of Component, 2 Coax, 2 Optical connectors, and the kitchen sink like the 8500.
May be there's a fan or two down below blowing up the rear half. Class A (I doubt the CXA would use class AB, at least high biased AB I hope) preamps are going to produce a lot of heat, combined with several DSP processors and video processor there is no way for it to run cool without fans or very well ventilated. The Denon AVP has more channel, fully differential amps input to output, stacked DACs, much more I/Os including legacy types, and the pre-amps are most likely fully class A and capable of voltage high enough to drive any power amps so it is expected to run hot unless very well ventilated. That thing really is probably not designed for heavy HT use, and suitable mostly for avphiles.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not trying to scare you, but there are really a lot more electronics in the most recent high end AVRs and prepros that can go wrong. My point is, some people think that's why AVRs are much more like to fail early because of too many things jammed in one box, not realizing the contribution of the power amp section is marginal, after being offset by the typically more complexity and parts count in AVPs than those in a comparable AVR. The increased probability of failure due to the heat generated by the power amp section can be eliminated by the use of external fan(s).

As an example: SR8012+fan = $3020 + ext amp, or another $1000 less if substitute the SR8012 with the SR7013
Marantz AV8805 = $4499 + ext amp

I bet no one can hear the difference between the two set up, balanced or not.

For Yamaha fans, they are in luck, because the CX-A5200 will likely be listed at around $3,000.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
If the 5200 comes out this year, and I've yet to see anything other than speculation, then it will undoubtly support 13.2, eARC and if they ever finalise it in time Hdmi 2.1.

Also on the list is likely the AI nonsense modes from the current Adventage series, possibly different DACs and a few other tweaks.

It's far more likely Yamaha will hold off release until Hdmi 2.1 is confirmed. Most people haven't even got to 7.1, let alone 7.1.4 or 7.1.6.

I am not aware of the 5100 having any fans, it only uses 65W max, 35W with no signal. It has never even been slightly warm for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If the 5200 comes out this year, and I've yet to see anything other than speculation, then it will undoubtly support 13.2, eARC and if they ever finalise it in time Hdmi 2.1.

Also on the list is likely the AI nonsense modes from the current Adventage series, possibly different DACs and a few other tweaks.

It's far more likely Yamaha will hold off release until Hdmi 2.1 is confirmed. Most people haven't even got to 7.1, let alone 7.1.4 or 7.1.6.

I am not aware of the 5100 having any fans, it only uses 65W max, 35W with no signal. It has never even been slightly warm for me.
The Yamaha Rep said the replacement for the A5100 is due this Nov-Dec. He seemed very sure about that. :D

When I say "Rep", I mean the REP directly from Yamaha who instructs/trains distributors, not a SALES rep! :D

So this (A5200) news is not gossip from another forum like AVS; it came very confidently directly from a Yamaha Rep.

Regarding heat, yeah, I was really surprised of how cool the A5100 remained after hours of use. It was night-and-day (cooler) compared to the Denon AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI.

BTW, I always used fans atop the Denon AVP-A1.

W

WhiteCoatGeek

Enthusiast
How does this compare to Monoprice Monolith 7-Channel Amplifier?

V

VanScott

Audiophyte
I noticed the price on 7220 jumped to $2,799. Was that big of a jump expected after the intro pricing? I was considering this as an option, but am now back to looking at the Monolith 7 channel amp.

Also, isn't the newer version of the Monolith with XLR connections considered fully balanced?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I noticed the price on 7220 jumped to $2,799. Was that big of a jump expected after the intro pricing? I was considering this as an option, but am now back to looking at the Monolith 7 channel amp.

Also, isn't the newer version of the Monolith with XLR connections considered fully balanced?
No, fully balanced would be advertised.

- Rich

P

pitchinwedge

Audiophyte
They both sound equally great.
Equally? Even if it's a very small difference, I believe every amp each has it's own sonic signature, or character. Some warmer and sweeter, some more neutral, some dryer and brighter. This is just my observation and opinion, so I'm not looking to debate the point; however, if anyone's listened to more than one of the amps I'm interested in, I'd love to know what sonic differences were perceived. So then, has anyone been lucky enough to compare (or at listen to) Emotiva XPA Gen3, Outlaw 2200, Outlaw 7220, and Monolith?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Equally? Even if it's a very small difference, I believe every amp each has it's own sonic signature, or character. Some warmer and sweeter, some more neutral, some dryer and brighter. This is just my observation and opinion, so I'm not looking to debate the point; however, if anyone's listened to more than one of the amps I'm interested in, I'd love to know what sonic differences were perceived. So then, has anyone been lucky enough to compare (or at listen to) Emotiva XPA Gen3, Outlaw 2200, Outlaw 7220, and Monolith?
If an amp has a sonic signature, it's not a good amp, Period. A good amp is acoustically transparent so it does not change the character of the source signal. It should sound the same as any other good amp within its limits..

I know at least one expensive audiophile amplifier company that published that kind of BS info in their ads. When I see this, I totally ignore the brand and switch to products from more professionally managed companies. That's why I usually prefer pro audio stuff with excellent and conservative detailed specs over more expensive audiophile electronic products.

With regard to the Outlaw 7220 amp which is the topic of this thread, it is a good product at a very good price, but heavy.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Equally great and exactly equal aren't exactly the same thing :) I find the differences among good amps to be not worth "classifying". Plus they're expensive and difficult to compare properly. I don't bother "listening" to amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the Monolith sounds like it has been on a low dextrose, low lipid, high amino acid diet, yet still meets its basal energy requirements. There’s a tinge of flowery flavor to the treble, the midrange is sugary, and the bass very filling.

The EMO sounds like it has been on a high dextrose, high lipid, low amino acid diet, and actually exceeds its basal energy expenditures. I could have sworn I sense that the treble has been through carbonic maceration. The midrange seems a tad bit pasteurized. And the bass seems a bit combusted.

The Outlaw 7220 sounds like it has been a 20% Dextrose, 5% AA, 2% Lipid nutrition with standard electrolytes which meets the exact basal expenditure. The treble exudes butyl butyrate aroma, yet is fully oxidized. The midrange exudes selenite. The bass is pure atomic.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the Monolith sounds like it has been on a low dextrose, low lipid, high amino acid diet, yet still meets its basal energy requirements. There’s a tinge of flowery flavor to the treble, the midrange is sugary, and the bass very filling.

The EMO sounds like it has been on a high dextrose, high lipid, low amino acid diet, and actually exceeds its basal energy expenditures. I could have sworn I sense that the treble has been through carbonic maceration. The midrange seems a tad bit pasteurized. And the bass seems a bit combusted.

The Outlaw 7220 sounds like it has been a 20% Dextrose, 5% AA, 2% Lipid nutrition with standard electrolytes which meets the exact basal expenditure. The treble exudes butyl butyrate aroma, yet is fully oxidized. The midrange exudes selenite. The bass is pure atomic.
Can i get some of that fentanyl too?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nothing like a speaker manufacturer wishing for amp manufacturers to add some signature to the sound.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
All amp prices are going to go up due to component costs rising substantially of late.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Nothing like a speaker manufacturer wishing for amp manufacturers to add some signature to the sound.
Well said everettT” the only amps I know of the could possibly do something like that would be Tube amps to some point and than only when over driving, what’s that saying? Oh yeah they Distort gracefully. :rolleyes:

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can i get some of that fentanyl too?
Funny you mentioned that because we put plenty of people on fentanyl IV this last weekend I worked. :D

I’m sure they’re hearing all kinds of things from their amps. :eek:

F

Floyd-Pink

Audiophyte
Looking for a cool new amplifier with enough power to blow you away? The new Model 7220 seven channel amplifier from Outlaw Audio may be your answer. This class AB, fully balanced, differential design is rated to deliver 220W per channel into an 8-ohm load with ALL seven channels driven. Outlaw Audio teamed up with ATI Audio technologies to develop a powerful linear amplifier into a moderately heavy unit without the use of massive heat sinks. Read on to find out how this amplifier stays cool enough for Mr. Freeze.

View attachment 25277

Read: Outlaw Model 7220 7CH Amplifier Detailed Info

Outlaw wants us to bench test it, but I'm really backlogged right now so this will have to wait until next year. However, I spent considerable time reviewing the design specifications with ATI/Outlaw to get some important design details.

This amp looks like the real deal! Emotiva stop quaking :)
No benchtest yet?
I can't believe this amp isn't getting that much attention.
Thanks for all your posts, very informative.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis