New Oppo BDP S83 Blu-Ray player!!!

itschris

itschris

I just got an email from OPPO stating they will be bringing the Blu-Ray player to the public by thanksgiving. I hope this is correct...

That's great news. I'm licking my chops on this one. It's a bit boring on the looks side, but that's okay. I like the industrial no nonesense look.

C

cosoundman

Audiophyte
Thnx Highlander

I have a question being a newbie...I want to upgrade my old 755v Sony because it doesn't do 24/192. Plays some DVD-A's, but not all. All hook-ups are cable(s) as needed. Plays SACD great! My question is, do I need an HDMI cable and matching reciever (I have a Denon 1802(old) to make use of the OPPO's SACD/DVD-A capability or can I reuse all my "old" analoge cables?
:) The video up to 1080p would work just fine on my Sony 40"XBR(crt) and I have viewed alot of Blu-rays etc and they're great but the dif between what I have and what I've seen isn't worth putting "big" money into the upgrades.

C

cutter

Audioholic
is this player going to onboard decode all HD audio?

just curious if this oppo player is going to decode all the HD audio within the player itself? And have analog outs? If so, it'll be the player for me! I started buying blu- ray discs on amazon-- I have about 20 now, and just waiting to get a player....hard to wait!

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
just curious if this oppo player is going to decode all the HD audio within the player itself? And have analog outs? If so, it'll be the player for me! I started buying blu- ray discs on amazon-- I have about 20 now, and just waiting to get a player....hard to wait!
That's correct, sir. It will decode all the Blu-ray audio tracks and send them over the 7.1 analog outputs. I think this is going to be the player of choice for many on this forum. Especially if it's reasonably priced. I'm going to say it'll be $599 (complete guess :D)

itschris

itschris

That's correct, sir. It will decode all the Blu-ray audio tracks and send them over the 7.1 analog outputs. I think this is going to be the player of choice for many on this forum. Especially if it's reasonably priced. I'm going to say it'll be $599 (complete guess :D)
At $600 I think it positions itself in a bad place. For me, I'd right away either consider spending a bit more and choose from a couple of other top tier players, or I'd consider spending less and go with the Sony 350 or 550.

I think they ought to put it out right at the $400-$450 mark and really market this player hard.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I think they ought to put it out right at the $400-$450 mark and really market this player hard.
That would be really close to the DV-983H @ $399. I can't see them doing that. Unless they plan a price drop for the 983...

$400 also seems awfully cheap for a player that can decode everything (including SACD and probably DVD-A), is an excellent upscaling player, and plays BRs? We're at PS3 territory, and the PS3 is sold at a loss.

itschris

itschris

At a heftier price, I think the only ones buying it would be the more involved set like us. If the average consumer who stumbles across Oppo has the option to buy them or spend less for a Sony - which of course they know really well - then I see the sale going to the Sony.

I don't know... I think I might even consider the Elite over the Oppo. At that price point, you're not just paying for peformance. There's other factors that have just a big of influence.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I don't think many J6P buyers are buying Oppo's anyway. It's not like their a giant electronics company to the general public. J6P buys Sony, LG, Samsung, etc....he's never heard of Oppo, or AV123 or any such company. I don't think that's their intended demographic with this player. Don't get me wrong, I hope it's $400-$450! I just don't see that happening.

I'm not sure what you mean by "other factors". What other factors are there besides performance??? Looks? That's a pretty distant second, no? Not trying to start a fight here....but you're wrong. :D;):)

itschris

itschris

I don't think many J6P buyers are buying Oppo's anyway. It's not like their a giant electronics company to the general public. J6P buys Sony, LG, Samsung, etc....he's never heard of Oppo, or AV123 or any such company. I don't think that's their intended demographic with this player. Don't get me wrong, I hope it's $400-$450! I just don't see that happening.

I'm not sure what you mean by "other factors". What other factors are there besides performance??? Looks? That's a pretty distant second, no? Not trying to start a fight here....but you're wrong. :D;):)
Well... when I start to spend over a certain amount for anything... looks certainly play a big part for me. If all I wanted was bd performance, I'd already have a PS3. For me, there's just other things I consider. If I decide to pay $700 for a player, then I might as well just pay a few hundred more and get the one I really really want.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Well... when I start to spend over a certain amount for anything... looks certainly play a big part for me. If all I wanted was bd performance, I'd already have a PS3. For me, there's just other things I consider. If I decide to pay $700 for a player, then I might as well just pay a few hundred more and get the one I really really want.
I definately understand where you're coming from. Putting it at $400, or even $500 would by necessity kill their DV-983HD, which hasn't been out that long.

Those $700 players still won't play SACD & DVD-A's, and probably won't contain the Anchor Bay ABT2010 chipset, won't pay PAL movies, won't play DivX, won't have USB 2.0 ports. They may look pretty, but they'll never match the feature vs. price ratio that Oppo has always seemed to master. Ah well, we can only hope that it'll be <$500.

itschris

itschris

I definately understand where you're coming from. Putting it at $400, or even $500 would by necessity kill their DV-983HD, which hasn't been out that long.

Those $700 players still won't play SACD & DVD-A's, and probably won't contain the Anchor Bay ABT2010 chipset, won't pay PAL movies, won't play DivX, won't have USB 2.0 ports. They may look pretty, but they'll never match the feature vs. price ratio that Oppo has always seemed to master. Ah well, we can only hope that it'll be <$500.
Alright... we'll call it a tie... I can agree with that! :D

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a good price for Oppo's first BD player. Other companies sell to stores, who mark it up and sell it to the public. We avoid that mark-up altogether by buying from the company directly. That should theoretically save us a few bills, no?

cheers,
supervij

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Compare how cheap Oppo's other products are to the market norm, and you should be able to figure out how much this will cost.

BTW, the second pricing information pops up, flood the forum. It's between this and a PS3 right now, and I'm waiting for a price.

SheepStar

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Compare how cheap Oppo's other products are to the market norm, and you should be able to figure out how much this will cost.

BTW, the second pricing information pops up, flood the forum. It's between this and a PS3 right now, and I'm waiting for a price.

SheepStar
Sheep, I am on the fence too. Just wished Oppo would release it right now...........LOL!!! :p:p I also am considering the PS3. There are a few others that look promising. I will be making my decision very soon.

Cheers,

Phil

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
IMO, I still do not have a bluray player I am waiting for a Oppo bluray, but if it cost more the $500, I will pass, I will buy a Sony ($300), what I need is a good bluray player, for sacd and dvd-audio and even DVD movies I will use my oppo dvd player. I do not need another sacd and dvd-audio player and I guess 90% of the people won't neither (do anyone listen this formats that much? The media is almost inexistent, and with this level of player the difference is not that far from cd's anyway... If the problem is that it will be price similar to the 983, they should discontinued it, $400 for a dvd is two much too spend this late in the game for a Dvd player for many of us IMO. (And I guess that most of the sells for Oppo are either the 980 or 981)

M

Martiad3

Audioholic
In my search, it's between this player and the Pioneer BDP-51FD. They both seem to have the same features and will probably come at the same price. I guess the biggest difference is the video processing, but I don't know what the Pio is using. Not sure if I want to wait another couple months to get a BD player.

Anyone think of any more advantages the Oppo might have?

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I do not need another sacd and dvd-audio player and I guess 90% of the people won't neither (do anyone listen this formats that much? The media is almost inexistent, and with this level of player the difference is not that far from cd's anyway...
I have to disagree with you on the DVD-A and SACD thing. I use those formats alot and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 titles. There are a TON of classic SACD's.
Not sure what you mean by "difference is not that far from CD's at this level??? Two points: CD's aren't produced in multichannel audio, and SACD's and DVD-A's are typically mastered better (check out some of AIX's releases if you don't believe me).

I personally want a player that will replace both my PS3 (BR duties) and Oppo 981 (DVD, DVD-A, SACD) in my HT. I have other plans for them. :) I'm not sure if i'm in the same boat as alot of the other members, but for me SACD/DVD-A is pretty important, and will remain so.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I have a question being a newbie...I want to upgrade my old 755v Sony because it doesn't do 24/192. Plays some DVD-A's, but not all. All hook-ups are cable(s) as needed. Plays SACD great! My question is, do I need an HDMI cable and matching reciever (I have a Denon 1802(old) to make use of the OPPO's SACD/DVD-A capability or can I reuse all my "old" analoge cables?
:) The video up to 1080p would work just fine on my Sony 40"XBR(crt) and I have viewed alot of Blu-rays etc and they're great but the dif between what I have and what I've seen isn't worth putting "big" money into the upgrades.
The Oppo BR has 7.1 multichannel analogs as outputs. See specs, under "Connections":

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/players.php?id=105&show=specs

S

swestbom

Audioholic Intern
I have to disagree with you on the DVD-A and SACD thing. I use those formats alot and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 titles. There are a TON of classic SACD's.
Not sure what you mean by "difference is not that far from CD's at this level??? Two points: CD's aren't produced in multichannel audio, and SACD's and DVD-A's are typically mastered better (check out some of AIX's releases if you don't believe me).

I personally want a player that will replace both my PS3 (BR duties) and Oppo 981 (DVD, DVD-A, SACD) in my HT. I have other plans for them. :) I'm not sure if i'm in the same boat as alot of the other members, but for me SACD/DVD-A is pretty important, and will remain so.
Just don't count on using this player for its analog outputs for SACD and DVD-A, it will probably have the same sort of barely adequate DACs the 983 has (just an 8 channel instead of a 6 channel all in one DAC). I am still hoping for DSD pass through with HDMI but not counting on anything more than 88.2/24 LPCM like the 983, still good but will require a good HDMI 1.1 or greater receiver to use it (still got iLink and analog here).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis