new monoprice thx certified atmos speakers

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Never tried these but my beef is with the whole built in atmos thing. I think with the weird angle on top, it would be impossible to place them where the atmos playback would be effective while also performing well as L/R mains or surround speakers. Way to many factors involved, and it kinda pisses me off. Manufacturing crap like this that DOES NOT do as advertised, or at least without complicated setup procedures that most normal people that would buy these for the simplicity have no idea of, then say “meh, atmos is dumb” sucks.
IMO? Junk...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Those cabinets look very similar to the old Pioneer Elite units. Drivers are not the same configuration but I'd swear they are the same cabs

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There are plans to run a review of these, but it won't happen for a little while. My hunch is that the speakers are fundamentally good, and they do have to have some solid engineering to obtain THX certification. I don't really care about the Atmos part of the speaker, I'm not too interested in that, more in the base performance.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
There are plans to run a review of these, but it won't happen for a little while. My hunch is that the speakers are fundamentally good, and they do have to have some solid engineering to obtain THX certification. I don't really care about the Atmos part of the speaker, I'm not too interested in that, more in the base performance.
ok ive had these a few days. the mini towers and center. im novice and imo these are pretty bad ass speakers.
loving the tweeter most of all. my first time listening to 3 way speakers with midrange woofer so im not sure if thats contributing to my liking. they sound very clean. a tad bright but i like bright. i owned klipsch rp series.
they sound lively and fun with movies. using with hsu vtf2 mk5 and denon x3300
the clean sound reminds me of my upgrade from a bic f12 to the hsu.

every center channel ive owned ive had to up the levels 2 or so db, not with these. dialogue is very clear and easy to understand. i should test interstellar this weekend.

i think they look great and i like the magnetic grills.
only con for me is (or maybe im doing something wrong, but there is no manual) banana plugs dont go in all the way. about 1/3 of the plug sticks out and im not sure if that affects performance.

i think these are going to sell

Attachments

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
ok ive had these a few days. the mini towers and center. im novice and imo these are pretty bad ass speakers.
loving the tweeter most of all. my first time listening to 3 way speakers with midrange woofer so im not sure if thats contributing to my liking. they sound very clean. a tad bright but i like bright. i owned klipsch rp series.
they sound lively and fun with movies. using with hsu vtf2 mk5 and denon x3300
the clean sound reminds me of my upgrade from a bic f12 to the hsu.

every center channel ive owned ive had to up the levels 2 or so db, not with these. dialogue is very clear and easy to understand. i should test interstellar this weekend.

i think they look great and i like the magnetic grills.
only con for me is (or maybe im doing something wrong, but there is no manual) banana plugs dont go in all the way. about 1/3 of the plug sticks out and im not sure if that affects performance.

i think these are going to sell
The banana plug things will not affect performance. That is a killer system you have there.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
The banana plug things will not affect performance. That is a killer system you have there.
forgot to mention, with music in direct mode, bass was extremely lacking. i had to use stereo mode with the hsu and they came alive. not sure if thats a con because im sure they were probably designed that way.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
forgot to mention, with music in direct mode, bass was extremely lacking. i had to use stereo mode with the hsu and they came alive. not sure if thats a con because im sure they were probably designed that way.
They were designed that way. They are sealed speakers that are intended to be used with a subwoofer. They will not have much bass, but they are designed to make for better integration with a sub than typical speakers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
They were designed that way. They are sealed speakers that are intended to be used with a subwoofer. They will not have much bass, but they are designed to make for better integration with a sub than typical speakers.
I think that @bradymartin thought that you were referring to the bass performance of those Atmos speakers when you were as a matter of fact most interested in their basic performance. :)

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
any estimated time frame when these will be reviewed here?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis