New Monoprice Monolith Amp Models

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Nice looking amp. I'm guessing it's made by ATI. It looks like it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Glad to see the return of amps with more power for the front speakers and less for the surrounds/atmos!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Why do you say stomping?
Umm, anesthetics look much better, when was the last time EMO posted up slew specs? Umm never! Not that I have ever seen. Now not saying EMO gear isn’t good their monoblocks the top dog is still a beast of a amp. Their lower end amps, umm good value, but still not what they use to put out. I’ve owned many EMO amps liked them a lot, anesthetics not so much. I still have their XPA5 1st gen it’s going one 6 years old haven’t had any issues with it.

Mike

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Umm, anesthetics look much better, when was the last time EMO posted up slew specs? Umm never! Not that I have ever seen. Now not saying EMO gear isn’t good their monoblocks the top dog is still a beast of a amp. Their lower end amps, umm good value, but still not what they use to put out. I’ve owned many EMO amps liked them a lot, anesthetics not so much. I still have their XPA5 1st gen it’s going one 6 years old haven’t had any issues with it.

Mike
Well, aesthetics seems a bit subjective to say they're stomping them. I'm not convinced slew rate is of utmost importance, IMO I think there are more important specs, especially as far as dynamic output is concerned.

I've never been impressed with emotiva amps enough to invest money in one, but at the same time I think they do deliver solid performance. I also think monoprice is offering some great amplifier products and I never get tired of seeing ATI made amps available for reasonable prices. They're taking two different routes to accomplish the same goal and it will be interesting to see whether Monoprice/Outlaw Audio/ATI can steal some of that marketshare from Emotiva.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Well, aesthetics seems a bit subjective to say they're stomping them. I'm not convinced slew rate is of utmost importance, IMO I think there are more important specs, especially as far as dynamic output is concerned.

I've never been impressed with emotiva amps enough to invest money in one, but at the same time I think they do deliver solid performance. I also think monoprice is offering some great amplifier products and I never get tired of seeing ATI made amps available for reasonable prices. They're taking two different routes to accomplish the same goal and it will be interesting to see whether Monoprice/Outlaw Audio/ATI can steal some of that marketshare from Emotiva.
Oh most definitely EMO is still very competitive and I don’t see them going away anytime soon. Was just saying since Monoprice started offering amps made by ATI that EMO has some competition now. Outlaw amps Crown amps to me are the best value on the market. But I wouldn’t count Dan out with EMO, he has been known to put amps out with really good specs. I can say this owning EMO amps the one I have now is very dynamic I have tried to get that Multi channel amp to clip out never could. I even tried to get it to run hot never could. Back in 2012 I paid 899.00 new for their XPA-5 1st gen. It was the best amp for the money at the time.

Mike

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow! Nice specs! They even posted up Slew rate! Man Monoprice is stomping Emotiva.

Mike
Man I'm pretty excited about this one I've been looking for a good all in one amp for when I go to separates next year. I'll be really looking forward to reviews on this product it's definitely on my radar

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Back in 2012 I paid 899.00 new for their XPA-5 1st gen. It was the best amp for the money at the time.

Mike
Today's XPA-5, 3rd gen. will run you $1600, that is a 77.8% increase in price over 6 years. These have been predominantly low inflation, stagnant income years (I can only fantasize my income had increased by 78% over those years).
I am not up to speed on the new generations of EMO, but I believe the XPA-5 gen 3 is more equivalent to the gen 1 than different.
At $900 they were untouchable, but at $1600, ATI/Monolith/Outlaw have room to capture a good chunk of their market!
In the budget market, aside from the Outlaw 5000, there is not too much competition for EMO's less expensive products. It will be interesting to see if Outlaw or Monolith (or anyone else) enters the fray for that market!

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to see the return of amps with more power for the front speakers and less for the surrounds/atmos!
Hmmmm I cant find them on the website but I can find them on an upload on the internet maybe it's because they're only releasing specs? Or I could just be looking in the wrong area. Still can't wait to see if and when these come out if they live up to they're potential!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Today's XPA-5, 3rd gen. will run you $1600, that is a 77.8% increase in price over 6 years. These have been predominantly low inflation, stagnant income years (I can only fantasize my income had increased by 78% over those years).
I am not up to speed on the new generations of EMO, but I believe the XPA-5 gen 3 is more equivalent to the gen 1 than different.
At $900 they were untouchable, but at $1600, ATI/Monolith/Outlaw have room to capture a good chunk of their market! Aside from the Outlaw 5000, there is not too much competition for EMO's less expensive products. It will be interesting to see if Outlaw or Monolith (or anyone else) enters the fray for that market!
KEW, That’s the point I was making, with the price increases on the Emotiva amps XPA line. Their UPA line back in the day to me anyways where a better build. Their “ budget line” all though a good value the build of them are in no way what the UPA line was. I did read a Thread on EMO’s site some of the members where talking about Monoprice amps, and Dan the owner of Emotiva jumped in saying and I quote “ Game on” lol. So who knows, maybe Emotiva will bring back the UPA line. I for one never could understand why they discontinued that line of amps in the first place.

Mike

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I for one never could understand why they discontinued that line of amps in the first place.

Mike
My thinking at the time (which I still believe) was they realized they were under-cutting their own XPA sales.
I'm not sure where else you would look for a good amp for $900 or less!
They followed the UPA-5 with the UPA-500 which is not nearly as capable as the UPA-5, thus distancing sales from the XPA series!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My wallet likes the price point of Model 5000 but 3 Outlaw monoblocks might be another idea... :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
KEW, That’s the point I was making, with the price increases on the Emotiva amps XPA line. Their UPA line back in the day to me anyways where a better build. There “ budget line” all though a good value the build of them are in no way what the UPA line was. I did read a Thread on EMO’s site some of the members where talking about Monoprice amps, and Dan the owner of Emotiva jumped in saying and I quote “ Game on” lol. So who knows, maybe Emotiva will bring back the UPA line. I for one never could understand why they discontinued that line of amps in the first place.

Mike
We have seen Emo release and seemingly discontinue prematurely several different items over the years.

I just don't understand the short life cycles for some of their products, even some good products weren't available for very long. Seems a bit wasteful of engineering resources to me.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I for one never could understand why they discontinued that line of amps in the first place.

Mike
My thinking at the time (which I still believe) was they realized they were under-cutting their own XPA sales.
I'm not sure where else you would look for a good amp for $900 or less!
They followed the UPA-5 with the UPA-500 which is not nearly as capable as the UPA-5, thus distancing sales from the XPA series!
KEW, their UPA line was a awesome value! Their monoblocks UPA-1’s if I remember right where 499.00 each 200 @ 8 Ohms. I picked up two of them up at 349.00 each, good lil amps. I don’t believe they have anything even close to those unless you jump up to the XPA line. Than back in 2014, I had pick up a UPA-2 for 499.00,
150 X 2 @ 8 Ohms another great lil amp. After that they went to their BassX line smaller a lot less in build and power but prices went up. They put fans in them less Caps less power trans at the rail smaller power supplies. As of right now Monoprice and Outlaw is King on the block so to speak. Now throw in Crown amps, cause a lot are using those in home audio and loving them for price and power. So maybe EMO shot their wad, they couldn’t keep those amps in stock they sold out fast as they would get them in.

Mike

T

Tmnt1000

Audiophyte
New here, I'm looking at selling my OCM 500 amp to get the the monolith X5. I'm just wanting to make sure that I'm making in a good choice, any input would be great. I was very interested in emotiva however I found these a month ago and these monolith amps look legit.

T

Tmnt1000

Audiophyte
Appreciate the response. The brand of amp I have is Ocm. Model 500. It's a 200x2 amp. That is a Mosfet design. It was a good amp back in the day and still is. I just don't want to sell it and end up with an inferior amp.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Appreciate the response. The brand of amp I have is Ocm. Model 500. It's a 200x2 amp. That is a Mosfet design. It was a good amp back in the day and still is. I just don't want to sell it and end up with an inferior amp.
If the amp is performing good, keep it. Unless you move to 400w per channel you want get any more SPL. All ati amps are built well, and measure extremely well. If yours sounds good I doubt you will gain much noticeable difference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis