New Monoprice Monolith Amp Models

T

Tmnt1000

Audiophyte
Sure thing. I'm just looking at going with a 5 channel now instead of a 2 channel so I didn't want to trade off 5 channels with inferior sound just to go from 2 channel to 5. Thanks for the help

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Sure thing. I'm just looking at going with a 5 channel now instead of a 2 channel so I didn't want to trade off 5 channels with inferior sound just to go from 2 channel to 5. Thanks for the help
You wouldn't get inferior sound with any amp built by ATI, either the Monolith or the Outlaw. These products are well designed. As a matter of fact, you wouldn't be able to hear a difference between these and your OCM in a well organized double blind test.

T

Tmnt1000

Audiophyte
I've also been looking at the emotiva xpa5. Any thoughts on this for comparison on monolith vs xpa5. I know the xpa5 uses type H topography and is a different design than your classic a/b

T

Tmnt1000

Audiophyte
Price per channel makes more sense getting a 5 channel. + The wife factor with 2 huge amps. I'm going to be running a 20 amp outlet for the amp. That is also why the emotiva sounds intriguing as it not only offers more power but is also more efficient. However because the tech is new I'm worried about performance compared to the a/b monolith. Been waiting for audioholics to review one of these emotiva amps

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I for one never could understand why they discontinued that line of amps in the first place.

Mike
My thinking at the time (which I still believe) was they realized they were under-cutting their own XPA sales.
I'm not sure where else you would look for a good amp for $900 or less!
They followed the UPA-5 with the UPA-500 which is not nearly as capable as the UPA-5, thus distancing sales from the XPA series!
Hey KEW I
20181001_201750.jpg
20181001_201801.jpg
20181001_201801.jpg
just bought off of someone local the Emotiva UPA-7. And Man KEW this thing is a beast. 67 lbs still runs perfect the fella only wanted $350 for it. He kept it in immaculate condition too never even ran 2 of the channels. But after I lugged it home and took a look at it man the build quality of this thing is just INSANE. I don't know how they got away with selling this thing for those prices back then. I'm hoping since he kept it in such great shape I'll be able to squeeze the life out of it for a couple more years till I'm really ready to go after something. But after looking it over tonight I can totally see why you miss the old days of Emotiva.
20181001_201750.jpg

T

Tmnt1000

Audiophyte
I for one never could understand why they discontinued that line of amps in the first place.

Mike
My thinking at the time (which I still believe) was they realized they were under-cutting their own XPA sales.
I'm not sure where else you would look for a good amp for $900 or less!
They followed the UPA-5 with the UPA-500 which is not nearly as capable as the UPA-5, thus distancing sales from the XPA series!
Hey KEW I View attachment 25990View attachment 25991View attachment 25991just bought off of someone local the Emotiva UPA-7. And Man KEW this thing is a beast. 67 lbs still runs perfect the fella only wanted $350 for it. He kept it in immaculate condition too never even ran 2 of the channels. But after I lugged it home and took a look at it man the build quality of this thing is just INSANE. I don't know how they got away with selling this thing for those prices back then. I'm hoping since he kept it in such great shape I'll be able to squeeze the life out of it for a couple more years till I'm really ready to go after something. But after looking it over tonight I can totally see why you miss the old days of Emotiva. View attachment 25990
Nice grab! Can't beat that deal! And even if you upgrade down the road, you have a great amp for some surrounds and Atmos speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hey KEW I just bought off of someone local the Emotiva UPA-7. And Man KEW this thing is a beast. 67 lbs still runs perfect the fella only wanted $350 for it. He kept it in immaculate condition too never even ran 2 of the channels. But after I lugged it home and took a look at it man the build quality of this thing is just INSANE. I don't know how they got away with selling this thing for those prices back then. I'm hoping since he kept it in such great shape I'll be able to squeeze the life out of it for a couple more years till I'm really ready to go after something. But after looking it over tonight I can totally see why you miss the old days of Emotiva.
Like I said, I think the old UPA-# series cut into Emotiva's sales of the XPA-# series! Likely, people bought them as a step up, but, then, realized there was no need to upgrade any further to the XPA!
The only complaint I have with my UPA-5 (which also applies to the XPA series is the ~20" depth does not really fit my cabinet well. As long as you can work around that, I would not get rid of it. I suspect you'll get at least another 10-15 years out of it, and it is very likely to drive your speakers quite nicely without needing replacement (but I forget what speakers you have)!

Here is Gene's review of your UPA-7:
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/emotiva-upa-7

The 140W X 2 is not much better than one of the more powerful AVR's , but the 238W X 2 at 4 ohms (70% increase into 4 ohms) reflects a better power supply than a normal AVR would have (which are typically closer to a 50% increase into 4 ohms),so if you split the load between the AVR and UPA-7, you are better than doubling the amount of power you have available!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Like I said, I think the old UPA-# series cut into Emotiva's sales of the XPA-# series! Likely, people bought them as a step up, but, then, realized there was no need to upgrade any further to the XPA!
The only complaint I have with my UPA-5 (which also applies to the XPA series is the ~20" depth does not really fit my cabinet well. As long as you can work around that, I would not get rid of it. I suspect you'll get at least another 10-15 years out of it, and it is very likely to drive your speakers quite nicely without needing replacement (but I forget what speakers you have)!

The 140W X 2 is not much better than one of the more powerful AVR's , but the 238W X 2 at 4 ohms (70% increase into 4 ohms) reflects a better power supply than a normal AVR would have (which are typically closer to a 50% increase into 4 ohms),so if you split the load between the AVR and UPA-7, you are better than doubling the amount of power you have available!
Cool this amp if I can keep it alive will eventually be for the surrounds and ceilings. I'll get a much stronger amp for the Front 3 towers. Right now I'm getting ready to fire it up I'm just gonna have fun with it using it for the front 3 towers. The avr will handle the surrounds and back surrounds. I know the extra juice won't make it louder per re I don't need that but I'm looking for better dynamics headroom and just taking the strain off my avr. Plus for 300 bucks it's a bargain oppurtunity to learn how to use power amps!!! Emotiva told me since I'm only using it for 3 front 3 that I'll be getting a lot more power to the front then the 125 so I'm fixing to enjoy the experience!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Another 10 or 15 years sweeet! I got 3 SVS prime towers up front. You aren't kidding about the size I could barely fit it into my rack!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Another 10 or 15 years sweeet! I got 3 SVS prime towers up front. You aren't kidding about the size I could barely fit it into my rack!
I know you are talking depth, but give it room to breathe or put a couple of the AC Infinity fans on it.
Also spread the heat out! Instead of 1, 2, & 3, use channels 2, 4, & 6 or 1, 4, & 7 so there are not two channels right next to each other making heat.
I know this is getting a little anal, but if you are only planning to use 3 channels for a couple of years, you might ask Emotiva how hard it is to pull the boards for the 4 channels you won't use as that would open up the interior for better circulation. Just store them someplace safe so they are there when you need them!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know you are talking depth, but give it room to breathe or put a couple of the AC Infinity fans on it.
Also spread the heat out! Instead of 1, 2, & 3, use channels 2, 4, & 6 or 1, 4, & 7 so there are not two channels right next to each other making heat.
I know this is getting a little anal, but if you are only planning to use 3 channels for a couple of years, you might ask Emotiva how hard it is to pull the boards for the 4 channels you won't use as that would open up the interior for better circulation. Just store them someplace safe so they are there when you need them!
Yeah I have em in a av rack open on all sides with 2 fans blowing on it. I have also have the middle channel driving the center and the far left and far right for the left and rights so they got space between them and the center. I'm gonna buy those tiny fans you mentioned and out an in there blowing right over it just to be safe!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Just got done taking this baby for a test drive KEW. All I got to say is WOOOOOOW. The boost it gave my system was very very noticeable. What a great amp man. I lucked out with this one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis