New Line Cinema Backs Blu-ray

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
If the war ends, player prices will drop because the next hurdle will be to combat SD DVD - that seems like a larger task to me unless studios stop producing them.

Blu-ray is already outselling HD DVD, even with theoretically less players in consumer hands.

The A3 is not comparable to the lowest price BD players. Take a look at the specs. The A35 is the lowest comparable model and it is $247. The lowest cost BD player I just saw on Amazon was $337, though it was selling for under $300 previously. A number of companies are introducing lower cost BD players as well, announced at CES; at least one is expected to be below $300 street price. Phillips is also showing a $349 BD player

i hope your not referring to the 1080i output of the A3. i thought we all beat that discussion to death.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
It took over 3 years for DVD players to drop below the $100 mark, and almost 4 years for them to surpass VHS as the standard. I posted most of these details in another thread so I'll see if I can find it. But anyway, Blu Ray was released in May 2006- 5 months after HD DVD was released- and after just about 18 months you can find players for around $300 and content that costs only 40% more than SD counterparts (I used a couple of new releases to get that number). Where do you think DVDs were after 18 months against VHS? Plus, from a rental perspective things are much different than they used to be. I remember DVDs costs more to rent than VHS under the old brick and mortar Blockbuster model- now you can rent from Netflix and costs are the same.

I don't think Blu Ray, or even HD DVD for that matter, has followed a path much different than when DVD was initially released. The format battle hasn't helped, but I see the format moving out of just early adopters and starting to pander to the "wait and see" crowd- and should get a lot more sales.
Good Information. I guess we'll have to wait to see how things turn out.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
i hope your not referring to the 1080i output of the A3. i thought we all beat that discussion to death.
I think he's just trying to get to an Apples-to-Apples comparison. You cannot say that the A3 is the same thing as the BDP-S300 since they have different specs. Even Toshiba is trying to sell the difference between 1080p/i otherwise they'd be offering the A30 or 35 for much cheaper than they were.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think he's just trying to get to an Apples-to-Apples comparison. You cannot say that the A3 is the same thing as the BDP-S300 since they have different specs. Even Toshiba is trying to sell the difference between 1080p/i otherwise they'd be offering the A30 or 35 for much cheaper than they were.
That is correct.

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
well if your comparing fruit yes... but shouldn't we be comparing PQ? Everyone in this forum is smart enough to look past the fruit. HD dog poop at the end of the day is still dog poop.... im not sure how that relates, but i think it proves my point...

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Most people spending close to $2000 or more on a TV are very willing to buy a HD player at $300-400. Icing on the cake if you will. The fact remains that people want content to show off their new HDTV, and now since WB, New Line and HBO have joined the exclusive BD ranks it only strengthens consumer adoption of Blu-ray.

(It wasn't until the late 90's that a good VCR could be found for less than $300and people were buying them.)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Keep an eye on the economy, that will be the litmus test of where the formats will end.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
well if your comparing fruit yes... but shouldn't we be comparing PQ? Everyone in this forum is smart enough to look past the fruit. HD dog poop at the end of the day is still dog poop.... im not sure how that relates, but i think it proves my point...
Thus far, more BD titles have impressed me than HD DVD titles in terms of video, though there are titles that are just as good as the best ones on BD to my eyes.

Nobody is saying the media is the problem, and as with ANY format, the quality of the mastering/original will have a big effect on the end - result good or bad. I do have to say I am less impressed with the A2 from a hardware standpoint than the typical $200 DVD player though.

P

parkerbender

Audioholic
maybe bill gates will just buy warner brothers, that'd make a good story :cool:

...sorry to spam, it's just what i thought when i read the headline a couple of days ago... :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis