ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
2019-07-17 20.40.03.jpg

I brought this up ages ago when I was still in the planning stages but now I am well into it. The image is the current state of the room.

The general room size is 28'8"L x 12'1"W x 7'8"H.

The plan is to have 7.(x).4 atmos theater in this room.
TLS guy mention designing a pair of TL subs for the room, I will pester him later :D He seems to be 'busy'
There will be two couch seating positions, one on a riser
An acoustically transparent screen and hidden front channels

My thoughts;
I originally thought about er18 ribbons for the 7 channels but I don't think I have the width for the side channels. I have also looked at the options from DIYsoundgroup. Not sure where to go at this point, I am more worried about wiring and setup...
For right now I am not concerned about the specific projector, I will simply wire in the position above the rear seating position. The screen I am looking at a DIY Seymour screen.
The ceiling speakers I have thought about RBH and VOLT speakers.
The heart of the system (AVR, player, HTPC) will be in a closet just outside of the room, the workhorses will be in a utility room.(more airflow and no concern about noise)
I don't know if I want to bother with a fully separate system or use the avr to power the surround channels, I am leaning toward 7 channels of amplification.

Any thoughts, questions or suggestions are welcome. I would love to hear all the ideas, I like looking at new ideas. The simple framing will be completed tomorrow and then I will have time to consider and adjust plans for a while as I will have to move on to other areas of the house. My wife doesn't have the same drive to finish this area over the rest of the house!!! I don't either but this area will have significantly more planning :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like it could make a great room for a home theater. I think you might as well go fully separate amplification for the speakers and maybe just get a processor instead of an AVR. You might also consider maybe using self-amplified studio monitors, so you don't have to worry about buying outboard amps. There are lots of great monitors that would make great home audio speakers as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 30185

I brought this up ages ago when I was still in the planning stages but now I am well into it. The image is the current state of the room.

The general room size is 28'8"L x 12'1"W x 7'8"H.

The plan is to have 7.(x).4 atmos theater in this room.
TLS guy mention designing a pair of TL subs for the room, I will pester him later :D He seems to be 'busy'
There will be two couch seating positions, one on a riser
An acoustically transparent screen and hidden front channels

My thoughts;
I originally thought about er18 ribbons for the 7 channels but I don't think I have the width for the side channels. I have also looked at the options from DIYsoundgroup. Not sure where to go at this point, I am more worried about wiring and setup...
For right now I am not concerned about the specific projector, I will simply wire in the position above the rear seating position. The screen I am looking at a DIY Seymour screen.
The ceiling speakers I have thought about RBH and VOLT speakers.
The heart of the system (AVR, player, HTPC) will be in a closet just outside of the room, the workhorses will be in a utility room.(more airflow and no concern about noise)
I don't know if I want to bother with a fully separate system or use the avr to power the surround channels, I am leaning toward 7 channels of amplification.

Any thoughts, questions or suggestions are welcome. I would love to hear all the ideas, I like looking at new ideas. The simple framing will be completed tomorrow and then I will have time to consider and adjust plans for a while as I will have to move on to other areas of the house. My wife doesn't have the same drive to finish this area over the rest of the house!!! I don't either but this area will have significantly more planning :D
You mean like this.

Yes, I'm a bit busy right now, I'm building a whole house.

I don't know if you have been following that thread. If you are ready for a TL sub I will design one for you.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
For your other speakers you should take a look at Triad. www.triadspeakers.com

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

I would be happy to help you select a Triad system for your room. Let me know if we can help.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Dennis has a couple of different bookshelf designs. I have the MB27's as surrounds with Ribbon SongTowers and they sound ridiculously similar. The CAOW1 might be the better option for you as the drivers are better.

... for your surrounds ... when you get there.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Yes, I'm a bit busy right now, I'm building a whole house.

I don't know if you have been following that thread. If you are ready for a TL sub I will design one for you.
Yes I have been following that thread, hence the sarcastic comment :)
As we discussed, I would like to use the dayton HO driver that I already have and you suggested I use a couple 8" drivers to balance out the sound but I will leave those details to you to advise. I would like to make the second sub into the rear riser if possible, otherwise I will put it up front or at the back.
I think I will drywall the room first and build the subs in to the space after so there is no rush.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Dennis has a couple of different bookshelf designs. I have the MB27's as surrounds with Ribbon SongTowers and they sound ridiculously similar. The CAOW1 might be the better option for you as the drivers are better.

... for your surrounds ... when you get there.
I have looked at Dennis' designs and I like them for two reasons; the speakers that I have (designed by Dennis) sound spectacular and they don't generate ear splitting SPL like some other options I have seen. "These sound great up to 745dB!!!" Great so I can hear nice sound until I can't?....

I like these designs, I wonder what to do about the atmos speakers.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
For your other speakers you should take a look at Triad. www.triadspeakers.com

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

I would be happy to help you select a Triad system for your room. Let me know if we can help.
I spent some time perusing Triad site and I do like what I see but I am most likely going with a DIY approach, I don't value my time that much when working on my HT :)

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Anyone have some suggestions for in wall/ ceiling speakers? I will need to worry about any boxing in I will need to do in those spaces shortly. These are not spaces that require audiophile sound, just something durable, sounds good(great not required),and reasonably priced. Canada btw

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Take a look at Triad. www.triadspeakers.com

We use Triad speakers almost exclusively. Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

If we can help let me know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis