New Home Theater setup 5.1 - Speaker Suggestion needed 5K-8K budget

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
Hello - :)
So finally, the time has come for me to set up my home theater. A dream that started almost 17 years ago . I happened to attend a Audio Video Expo and heard big speakers for the first time - Avant Garde , Sonodyne ,Wharfedale , Jamo , JBL, Bose are the few names I remember. Since then I had this dream of setting up my own home theater. I have come a long way from not able to afford a decent life to make my dream come true. Finally, I am moving from my apartment to a single Family home in Indiana ( no more shared walls with neighbors :D)

I have been reading a lot here and trying to start with a small list to begin with. Thank you for all wonderful people who volunteer and share the experiences and knowledge.
I did not decide on budget yet but don't not want to go beyond 8K.
Following are the few setups I am considering in order of my preference

I am planning to setup in the Basement, Pic is shown for reference. The finished section is of T shape with rough dimensions 28X24 .The height is 8ft, I will use this for 70% movies and 30% music. Not very specific on music my taste has changed with age.

Few background on my sound preference.
I had Harmon, Burmester, Bose speakers in different cars I owned. I liked Burmester followed by Harman and then Bose. I find Bose very artificial.
I have JBL portable speaker and they are good to my ears.
I have owned Altec Lansing ATP 3 and Logitech Z623 as my computer speakers and loved both.
I have Polk Magnifi Mini sound bar, I find it great for price. I don't know if any of these helped to give my audio profile.
I did order Audioengine A2+ speakers but returned it as it lacked Bass.

LCR:
1. Emotiva T2 L/R (1000), C2 Center (400) , Either B1 or E2 as surrounds (250) = 1650
2. Chane A5.5 L/R (1000) , A2.4 Center (250) , Either A4.5 or A1.5 (350) = 1600
I am open for Chane 752 and 753 Pair. The problem with Chane is wait time.Is it worth the wait?
3.JBL 590 L/R (1000) Infinity RC263 or Emotiva C2 Center (400) JBL Studio or A series (200) = 1600
4.SVS Prime Pinnacle Surround Setup= 2000
5. Kef 750 L/R(1600) , Emotiva C2 Center (400) ,KEF 150 surrounds (600) =2600. I loved how it looked in Best buy, but the sound did not wow me, it was good. May be its best buy tuning.

Other L/R options : Wharfedale - EVO 4.4 ,Focal Chora 826 , Ascend Sierra 2

Sub :
I am very much keen on SVS Sub and love the way it looks. I am planning to add another Sub later.
SVS PB-4000 -$1899 . Is PB worth 400$ more than SB -4000? Will this be overkill for my Room size?
Other Options -
Rythmik FV18/FV15 ,
Hsu Research VTF-15H Mk2
Power Sound Audio V1812

I am very open to suggestions. I have time to go around and demo couple of speakers. The plan is to buy over the period of 3 months and wait for deals.

I am more interested with Bang for buck but comparable with high end speakers and hence leaning on Emotiva / Chane offering. But if its worth spending I am up for it as long as I stay under 8K
So overall Budget plan:
Speakers : 3000
Sub: 2000
AVReceiver :1000 ??
Misc: 1000

Thank you in advance, I know I am kind of all over the place but trying to make best out of info I got here.
You are all wonderful people ,I appreciate your time.

Schematic Rectangle Slope Line Parallel

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If I were selecting a home theater speaker system today, I would first be looking at the center speaker designs since the center speaker is the most important speaker in a surround sound system. I would go with the system that has the best center speaker. If you are setting up this room to have a wider listening area and want good coverage over a wide area, get a three-way center. If this system is going to be mostly just you listening in the sweet spot, a decent two-way center should be OK. The Infinity Reference center is a great affordable three-way, if you can still score one. A really good three-way center is the Paradigm Premier center speakers. I would also encourage you to get a multi-sub system instead of just one big sub. You will get a better bass response throughout the room with no hot or cold spots. A pair of Hsu VTF-3 mk5s, SVS PB-2000 Pros, or Monolith THX 12" subs should take care of that. You could also get three decent subs like Hsu VTF-2s or Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12s - that is what I would be looking at myself were I building a system today.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$3K budget for 5 speakers, probably two front towers, one center and two bookshelf surrounds? Also check out NHT, KEF, Monitor Audio.

$2K budget for Sub? Everyone else can recommend powered subs with built-in amp. I'll recommend the passive subs like the RBH S-1212N, SV-1212N or SV-1212NR, which means you would need an external amp like the Crown, Yamaha, QSC amp or any subwoofer amp.

The first sub I ever bought was a NHT 10" passive sub with an 80 WPC subwoofer amp back in 1992. I've been using passive subs + external amp ever since. I gave the NHT 10" passive to my little brother and he still uses it in his living room.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the upgrade from apartment living!

I don't know how Chane or Emotiva are more relatable to "high end" speakers than the other brands you listed, they're all decent, but at lower price points you won't get the finer finishes that you may get with speakers further up the ladder (and higher end speakers would probably have better cabinets and components overall, to an extent). Did the Best Buy have dedicated listening rooms? Our local Best Buy does not, and is a lousy place for any kind of audition of audio gear.

I do have the JBL 590 (and 580 for surrounds, 530 rear surrounds) along with the Infinity RC263 center combo, its a very good value if you time the periodic sales right. Also have an Ascend setup with the Sierra-1 (NrT) across the front, works very well but prefer that setup in a smaller room (bedroom in my case) whereas the JBL works better for me in a larger living room.

I would suggest going with the ported subs rather than sealed (PB-ported box, SB-sealed box) in any case. One good one now and a second later is a good plan generally but I like shadyJ's sub suggestions too.

Your avr budget is doable, but right now probably wouldn't get you as much as in the past due shortages of various sorts. I'd look at something like a Denon X3700, tho.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Should you decide to opt out of purchasing a passive sub and using an external amplifier, I would recommend that you go for either the SVS PB-2000 Pro or the Monoprice 12 THX subwoofers as both have an inboard Class D amplifier. The advantage with the Class D amp is that it is a more efficient product that heats quite a bit less and will outlast any Class AB amp. What kills enclosed amps is the trapped heat.

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
Congrats on the upgrade from apartment living!

I don't know how Chane or Emotiva are more relatable to "high end" speakers than the other brands you listed, they're all decent, but at lower price points you won't get the finer finishes that you may get with speakers further up the ladder (and higher end speakers would probably have better cabinets and components overall, to an extent). Did the Best Buy have dedicated listening rooms? Our local Best Buy does not, and is a lousy place for any kind of audition of audio gear.

I do have the JBL 590 (and 580 for surrounds, 530 rear surrounds) along with the Infinity RC263 center combo, its a very good value if you time the periodic sales right. Also have an Ascend setup with the Sierra-1 (NrT) across the front, works very well but prefer that setup in a smaller room (bedroom in my case) whereas the JBL works better for me in a larger living room.

I would suggest going with the ported subs rather than sealed (PB-ported box, SB-sealed box) in any case. One good one now and a second later is a good plan generally but I like shadyJ's sub suggestions too.

Your avr budget is doable, but right now probably wouldn't get you as much as in the past due shortages of various sorts. I'd look at something like a Denon X3700, tho.
Thank you.. I like your JBL setup and will consider the same in mind. I agree on the ported sub. I will consider the Hsu Dual VTF-15H Mk2 for 1900 as well.
I did lot of reading in different forums and review and usually Emotiva and Chane got great review for the price. I have never heard them in person but its AV forum inputs. I personally Like the JBL or the KEF.

BB did have dedicated rooms but I think it was not tuned at also i would not trust my hearing at BB.

Thank you+1 point for JBL :)

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
Should you decide to opt out of purchasing a passive sub and using an external amplifier, I would recommend that you go for either the SVS PB-2000 Pro or the Monoprice 12 THX subwoofers as both have an inboard Class D amplifier. The advantage with the Class D amp is that it is a more efficient product that heats quite a bit less and will outlast any Class AB amp. What kills enclosed amps is the trapped heat.
Thank you. I think I will pick the powered sub. I am not really expert when it comes to amps so I will stick to easy one.

Sub:
Will go dual later , only HSU comes dual within 2K
SVS PB 4000= 1900
Rythmik FV15 - 1600
Hsu Dual VTF-15H Mk2 = 1900
PSA V1812 =1700

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
If I were selecting a home theater speaker system today, I would first be looking at the center speaker designs since the center speaker is the most important speaker in a surround sound system. I would go with the system that has the best center speaker. If you are setting up this room to have a wider listening area and want good coverage over a wide area, get a three-way center. If this system is going to be mostly just you listening in the sweet spot, a decent two-way center should be OK. The Infinity Reference center is a great affordable three-way, if you can still score one. A really good three-way center is the Paradigm Premier center speakers. I would also encourage you to get a multi-sub system instead of just one big sub. You will get a better bass response throughout the room with no hot or cold spots. A pair of Hsu VTF-3 mk5s, SVS PB-2000 Pros, or Monolith THX 12" subs should take care of that. You could also get three decent subs like Hsu VTF-2s or Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12s - that is what I would be looking at myself were I building a system today.
Thank you shady. I got the same input from my reading. I was indeed looking for a good center. I came across Infinity RC263 or Emotiva C2 Center the most of the time because of the price to performance as per Audio gurus.
I will Paradigm Premier center speakers .I like how Paradigm looks.

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
I will see if I can increase this budget. Thank you for the input,

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
OK, This is my narrowed list . I am leaning towards JBLor the KEF now. I will get to the AV receiver in a separate thread once I have finalized these.

1.JBL 590 L/R (1000) Infinity RC263 (400) JBL Studio or A series (300) = 1700
2. KEF Q750 L/R(1600) , KEF Q650c (750), KEF Q150 surrounds (600) =2950
3. Emotiva T2 L/R (1000), C2 Center (400) , Either B1 or E2 as surrounds (250) = 1650
4.SVS Prime Pinnacle Surround Setup= 2000

Sub:
SVS PB 4000= 1900
Rythmik FV15 - 1600
PSA V1812 =1700

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you. I think I will pick the powered sub. I am not really expert when it comes to amps so I will stick to easy one.

Sub:
SVS PB 4000= 1900
Rythmik FV15 - 1600
PSA V1812 =1700
As did shadyJ suggest, I also suggested the SVS PB 2000 Pro, as a pair of them will help balancing the low frequency performance in your room, and provide better results than with only one sub. Two PB 2000 Pros are not that much more expensive than one PB 4000.

Last edited:
C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
$3K budget for 5 speakers, probably two front towers, one center and two bookshelf surrounds? Also check out NHT, KEF, Monitor Audio.

$2K budget for Sub? Everyone else can recommend powered subs with built-in amp. I'll recommend the passive subs like the RBH S-1212N, SV-1212N or SV-1212NR, which means you would need an external amp like the Crown, Yamaha, QSC amp or any subwoofer amp.

The first sub I ever bought was a NHT 10" passive sub with an 80 WPC subwoofer amp back in 1992. I've been using passive subs + external amp ever since. I gave the NHT 10" passive to my little brother and he still uses it in his living room.
Thank you. I had not heard about NHT. Interesting, will check out.

Last edited:
C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
Thank you.
If I go with JBL or Emotiva I waill save some $
I did some reading and aligning towards Rythmic G25HP (2400) or PSA TV1812 (2100)
I may add similar one later :D.
Will these sub be overkill for my setup?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If your priority is sound quality, get multiple subs instead of one big sub. A single sub will leave hot and cold bands of the frequency response at pretty much every point in the room. What you will get is uneven bass, and it doesn't matter what sub you have. The only way to fight against that is multiple subs. A multiple sub system averages out all of the peaks and dips so you get a flatter response that is easier to equalize. You can equalize the peaks out of the ragged response of a single subs system, but you can't really equalize dips. And even if you do equalize the peaks out of a single subs system, you might have just made the response worse in the seat next to you. A multi-sub system smoothes out the response over all seating positions. If you want bragging rights, sure, buy one large behemoth, but if you want legitimately good bass, look at two or three subs that can be placed around the room.

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
If your priority is sound quality, get multiple subs instead of one big sub. A single sub will leave hot and cold bands of the frequency response at pretty much every point in the room. What you will get is uneven bass, and it doesn't matter what sub you have. The only way to fight against that is multiple subs. A multiple sub system averages out all of the peaks and dips so you get a flatter response that is easier to equalize. You can equalize the peaks out of the ragged response of a single subs system, but you can't really equalize dips. And even if you do equalize the peaks out of a single subs system, you might have just made the response worse in the seat next to you. A multi-sub system smoothes out the response over all seating positions. If you want bragging rights, sure, buy one large behemoth, but if you want legitimately good bass, look at two or three subs that can be placed around the room.
Thank you.. very much makes sense. But my question is will it be overkill if I go Dual subs with Rythmic G25HP or PSA TV1812 with chosen speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you.. very much makes sense. But my question is will it be overkill if I go Dual subs with Rythmic G25HP or PSA TV1812 with chosen speakers.
That is probably overkill unless you intend to run your subs really hot. That sub system will have a lot more dynamic range than your speaker system.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I would second the premier line of Paradigm as I own them and love the speakers. Paradigm speakers properly placed are a great speaker.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
To follow up on the last post I would consider for a budget that you are considering for your new system the following.

1. I actually own a SVS subwoofer the SB-3000 and the Paradigm Defiance x12 subwoofers. Of the two the Defiance I just like better but both are great choices. The SVS PB subwoofer speakers are ported and get better low frequency extension but not by much over the Paradigm Defiance X series woofers. Both have been well reviewed here and are great choices. But for my tastes, the Defiance X12 is great.

2. I actually own a pair of the Paradigm 800F Premier line speakers. Also a great sounding choice. If you are going to get a center channel, I have heard demonstrated both of the Premier line choices. They are a great choice for a good center. For Paradigms rear channels either for the left and right surrounds, or in a 7.1 system both the rear surrounds in addition I would highly recommend stepping to the Paradigm Founders edition 40B bookshelf speakers. I own a pair of the 40B speakers myself (used on my computer) that are paired with the SVS SB-3000 above. Lets just say the music I play when on my computer sounds just great as if I were in the room with the artists. I have heard other speakers, to me the Paradigm speakers are just better for their price point.

3. I would highly recommend to find a Paradigm speaker dealer and get them to demo various lines of speakers. I have had my dealer demonstrate the KEF line of speakers along with the Revel and the aforementioned Paradigm. Revel is a great line but to get the quality of those or JBL the pricing climbs dramatically. Honestly KEF is good, but Paradigm in every price point beats KEF for similarly priced speakers. And a great dealer supports their lines they carry, and I have a good dealer in that respect.

4. And for your reading I include the following link. In this I review the following speakers and my impressions thereof. These were direct demonstrations and the Paradigm 40B that I actually bought are very close to the 70LCR in quality. The Revel M16 is the older cousin to the Revel 106 speakers and the Revel line compares favorably to the Paradigm 40B.

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
To follow up on the last post I would consider for a budget that you are considering for your new system the following.

1. I actually own a SVS subwoofer the SB-3000 and the Paradigm Defiance x12 subwoofers. Of the two the Defiance I just like better but both are great choices. The SVS PB subwoofer speakers are ported and get better low frequency extension but not by much over the Paradigm Defiance X series woofers. Both have been well reviewed here and are great choices. But for my tastes, the Defiance X12 is great.

2. I actually own a pair of the Paradigm 800F Premier line speakers. Also a great sounding choice. If you are going to get a center channel, I have heard demonstrated both of the Premier line choices. They are a great choice for a good center. For Paradigms rear channels either for the left and right surrounds, or in a 7.1 system both the rear surrounds in addition I would highly recommend stepping to the Paradigm Founders edition 40B bookshelf speakers. I own a pair of the 40B speakers myself (used on my computer) that are paired with the SVS SB-3000 above. Lets just say the music I play when on my computer sounds just great as if I were in the room with the artists. I have heard other speakers, to me the Paradigm speakers are just better for their price point.

3. I would highly recommend to find a Paradigm speaker dealer and get them to demo various lines of speakers. I have had my dealer demonstrate the KEF line of speakers along with the Revel and the aforementioned Paradigm. Revel is a great line but to get the quality of those or JBL the pricing climbs dramatically. Honestly KEF is good, but Paradigm in every price point beats KEF for similarly priced speakers. And a great dealer supports their lines they carry, and I have a good dealer in that respect.

4. And for your reading I include the following link. In this I review the following speakers and my impressions thereof. These were direct demonstrations and the Paradigm 40B that I actually bought are very close to the 70LCR in quality. The Revel M16 is the older cousin to the Revel 106 speakers and the Revel line compares favorably to the Paradigm 40B.

Great Suggestion @stalag2005 . I will try to audition the Paradigm Speakers.
I agree with having the best Center channel ,I read some great reviews of Emotiva C2+ for the price point and hence was leaning towards it. Since you have the first hand experience already I will definitely audition the Paradigm. I like the way it looks, very classy and premium.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis