New help with what to replace 10 yr old receiver with... Yamaha, Denon or Marantz? Receiver or Pre/Pro?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It was the THD level of about 0.015% at 4 Volts, which most amps, like ATI amps, won’t need.

Most amps like ATI have 28dB voltage gain or higher and will only need 2V to produce full power of like 300W.

At 2V, the THD was like 0.007%.
2 V balanced is like 1 V unbalanced, so you don't get 300 W with 2 V XLR balanced, you do need almost 4 V if balanced/XLR is used, to get 300 W if the gain is 28 dB. IMO, 0.015% THD is no big deal, but I see no advantage getting the 5200, if the 5100 is available. I would wait for the 2020 models though.

M

Mirage_Man

Enthusiast
Very nice layout.
Thanks. It's been aong time since I did any upgrades to the system. The tweeter dying on my center was the catalyst for this following me home today as well . :cool:

Last edited:
T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
That looks like an HTM2? If so, I have that exact speasker in cherry :)

T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
Ahh, my apologies, I believe you are correct. I haven't looked at mine with the grill off in so long i had forgotten.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I probably will be just fine using a receiver to power the Atmos speakers and continue using my ATI amps as I was.
I would go with the Denon 4500. You can definitely run Atmos off the receiver and use the ATI amps for LCR. I use an external amp with mine for LCR and let the 4500 handle the rest of the 9.2 speaker configuration and it works great.

The Denon 4500 has been my best value buy all year. The Denon refurb arrived looking brand new and comes with a factory 1 year warranty. I'm glad I went this route. You can spend $400 more on a new unit, but I don't see a need.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I looked into the 3080 but it's back ordered. The 20's? I'm not sure if I want to go 2 or 3 more months with just tv speakers. So if I don't want to wait I'm pretty much limited to the Denon and Marantz units. The only thing that I question is the tunabilty in the bass region of the Marantz/Denon vs Yamaha.

I know Yamaha's YPAO supposedly isn't as good as Audyssey but yamaha does have a parametric EQ function where M/D does not if my research is correct?

The EQ function may be a moot issue since my sub amp (Behringer inuke NU3000dsp) has parametric EQ built into it. Although I'm not sure if it allows independent EQ for each channel. That's something I'll have to look into.
Here you go. Click add to cart
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3080bl/yamaha-rx-a3080-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks but I already bought the Marantz SR8015.
Cost is obviously not a deciding factor for you among your choices, and also obvious that you like the look and apparent build quality so congratulations!

M

Mirage_Man

Enthusiast
Cost is obviously not a deciding factor for you among your choices, and also obvious that you like the look and apparent build quality so congratulations!
Cost is always a deciding factor. But yes, looks and build quality are as well. Not to say that Yamaha lacks in those areas, in fact I have a Yamaha receiver in my bedroom system that I like very much. I'm sure I would have been happy with either piece.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Cost is always a deciding factor. But yes, looks and build quality are as well. Not to say that Yamaha lacks in those areas, in fact I have a Yamaha receiver in my bedroom system that I like very much. I'm sure I would have been happy with either piece.
What I meant was, if cost was a deciding factor, the AVR-X4700H for $1,500 less or the AVR-X6700H for $800 less would have won. Based on the limited available information, the bench performance of the two would be about the same, but the 8015's build quality is clearly superior, and can process 13.1 vs the X4700H's 11.1. The made in Japan X6700H is a closer match but is only $700 less.

If you are a believer of auto REQ, I would suggest you purchase the Editor App right away.

Last edited:
M

Mirage_Man

Enthusiast
What I meant was, if cost was a deciding factor, the AVR-X4700H for $1,500 less or the AVR-X6700H for $800 less would have won. Based on the limited available information, the bench performance of the two would be about the same, but the 8015's build quality is clearly superior, and can process 13.1 vs the X4700H's 11.1. The made in Japan X6700H is a closer match but is only $700 less.

If you are a believer of auto REQ, I would suggest you purchase the Editor App right away.
I gotcha.

I do have the app installed and just a little while ago was able to run through a 8 point measurement with it. So far I like what I hear. I took the advice I've seen mentioned by several to limit correction to sub 300hz. It definitely tightened up the bass considerably. One thing that is strange though is when I change the setting in audyssey from reference to flat I get no sound?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I gotcha.

I do have the app installed and just a little while ago was able to run through a 8 point measurement with it. So far I like what I hear. I took the advice I've seen mentioned by several to limit correction to sub 300hz. It definitely tightened up the bass considerably. One thing that is strange though is when I change the setting in audyssey from reference to flat I get no sound?
If you use the App, sometimes when you send the file to the AVR it would not send all the information. I happened to me a few times but typically if you do another send it should work. Just make sure both your sending device (tablet, smart phone) and the AVR are connected to wifi with a strong signal.

M

Mirage_Man

Enthusiast
If you use the App, sometimes when you send the file to the AVR it would not send all the information. I happened to me a few times but typically if you do another send it should work. Just make sure both your sending device (tablet, smart phone) and the AVR are connected to wifi with a strong signal.
I sent it again as you suggested and it's working now set to flat. Thanks!

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
I sent it again as you suggested and it's working now set to flat. Thanks!
In order for your receiver to use what you have configured via the Audyssey app you have to use “reference” option on the receiver. If you use the flat option it won’t use what the Audyssey App has sent to the receiver.

M

Mirage_Man

Enthusiast
In order for your receiver to use what you have configured via the Audyssey app you have to use “reference” option on the receiver. If you use the flat option it won’t use what the Audyssey App has sent to the receiver.
Are you sure?? How then can one get rid of the dip at 2khz??

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Yes. I will try to find a link for you. To get rid of the midrange compensation, you have to use the app. In the app, under midrange compensation, set all the changes to off. After you start a measurement with the app (not with the receiver), then make all the changes you want in the app, you send those changes back to the receiver from the app. As long as you don’t change the audyssey to “flat’ in the receiver it will use what you configured in the audyssey app.
The app allows you to edit the reference curve to what you want. Enabling flat will be the same as in the past with Denon/Marantz receivers.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You can get rid of that dip with the App as you know already. I think DJ7675 meant to say the customized target curve is only in effect if you select "reference".

I have listed the basics in my first post in the users thread:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis