New ESS Sabre DACs Feature MQA

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Your next headphones might have MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) rendering built in. New versions of the popular Sabre DACs from ESS Technology will make it easier for manufacturers to implement MQA into a wide variety of audio hardware applications.

MQA.jpg

What will MQA do for you?

Read: New ESS Sabre DACs Feature MQA

C

Casey Leedom

Audiophyte
Regarding the "MQA Controversy", I think you might like the article "MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions" on Computer Audiophile. (Sorry, I'd post the links but I haven't passed the 5 posting limit. Google should allow you to find the article.)

Casey

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Regarding the "MQA Controversy", I think you might like the article "MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions" on Computer Audiophile.
Well, much was way over my head, but the last few hundred words did a nice summing up, beginning with the subtitle, "The view from 30,000 feet and a birth of a new paradigm?"

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Regarding the "MQA Controversy", I think you might like the article "MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions" on Computer Audiophile. (Sorry, I'd post the links but I haven't passed the 5 posting limit. Google should allow you to find the article.)

Casey
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/reviews/mqa-a-review-of-controversies-concerns-and-cautions-r701/
Agree. I've been reading his blog for last 6 months or so. He's huge proponent of objective and measurable or at least something that could be validated and confirm using scientific methods. His mindset clearly mirrors my ideas about tech and audio in particular. If he says that MQA is boolcrap, then it is.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like MQA may start getting shoved down our throats!

Vintage gear may start looking better and better (pre-MQA vintage that is).

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Meridian must be pretty powerful. Almost like Microsoft or Apple.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Meridian must be pretty powerful. Almost like Microsoft or Apple.
Hardly. If Intel, Qualcomm, Samsung, or Apple announces MQA support in their chips then we'll know if we need to run for cover. If these guys get on board we may never see a lossless file after that.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like MQA may start getting shoved down our throats!

Vintage gear may start looking better and better (pre-MQA vintage that is).
Not vintage gear, lossless music files. The new DACs will always support lossless, but if MQA really takes off (and it hasn't yet; the Sabre DACs are niche products) content providers might stop releasing lossless music.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not vintage gear, lossless music files. The new DACs will always support lossless, but if MQA really takes off (and it hasn't yet; the Sabre DACs are niche products) content providers might stop releasing lossless music.
Yeah, good point!

Just another reason to purchase physical media.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Hardly. If Intel, Qualcomm, Samsung, or Apple announces MQA support in their chips then we'll know if we need to run for cover. If these guys get on board we may never see a lossless file after that.
Let me rephrase my post. Meridian must be pretty persuasive, despite the current backlash. I just hope music discs continue to be available. They work well for me. I don't need MQA.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Let me rephrase my post. Meridian must be pretty persuasive, despite the current backlash. I just hope music discs continue to be available. They work well for me. I don't need MQA.
Anything that let's a studio hold onto original masters and keep those out of the wild will be very appealing to the money-grubbing studios. HDMI and analog sunset is simply another example of similar strategies.

O

Ovation

Enthusiast
At some point, all media will be streamed. We'll pay a repeating access fee (or per unit), but physical media will not be produced indefinitely. Could take quite some time, but that day will happen. The content owners have NEVER wanted any other model than pay per use (whether per unit or a general access fee that repeats). There are many concepts, products, procedures, etc. that emerge, become dominant, and fade away. History is full of such things. Those who have physical media will be fine for some decades to come--but those who have already adopted the streaming "lifestyle" exclusively--they will never "own" movies or music (and books, though that is more complicated).

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/reviews/mqa-a-review-of-controversies-concerns-and-cautions-r701/
His mindset clearly mirrors my ideas about tech and audio in particular. If he says that MQA is boolcrap, then it is.
Won't truth win out? :( If MQA is a sham "technology" and it is berated and debunked by trusted people on the consumer side of things, won't it ultimately be cast aside? Usually, it is when the government gets involved that lies and misinformation triumph. Is there an example of a proprietary and totally useless AV technology that has succeeded in the marketplace over the long run?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Won't truth win out? :( If MQA is a sham "technology" and it is berated and debunked by trusted people on the consumer side of things, won't it ultimately be cast aside? Usually, it is when the government gets involved that lies and misinformation triumph. Is there an example of a proprietary and totally useless AV technology that has succeeded in the marketplace over the long run?
Are you familiar with the analog sunset and some of the problems associated with HDMI?

How about limiting the options available using optical cables? Not technical limitations, artificial limitations.

And, this ALL (HDMI, Optical Limitations, MQA) ties back to the DRM beast!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
MQA isn't a sham technology, it's simply a question of whether or not it has audible benefits. It is proprietary and not open, and I'm hoping that keeps it from spreading. The content industry hates proprietary stuff unless it's theirs.

Last edited:
Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Are you familiar with the analog sunset and some of the problems associated with HDMI?

How about limiting the options available using optical cables? Not technical limitations, artificial limitations.

And, this ALL (HDMI, Optical Limitations, MQA) ties back to the DRM beast!
Well, I don't know much of anything about the "V" side of AV, since I don't watch movies, don't have a TV, etc., just a computer. But I will be reading as much as I can understand on the things you have mentioned.

It would seem that consumers are embracing the "digital sunrise" at a fairly enthusiastic pace. Generally, it looks like consumers are liking what is out there, as if to say, "OK, we'll swallow your DRM limitations, but give us our Blu-Ray." There will always be a push-pull aspect to the marketplace. All-in-all, isn't it getting better?

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I don't know much of anything about the "V" side of AV, since I don't watch movies, don't have a TV, etc., just a computer. But I will be reading as much as I can understand on the things you have mentioned.

It would seem that consumers are embracing the "digital sunrise" at a fairly enthusiastic pace. Generally, it looks like consumers are liking what is out there, as if to say, "OK, we'll swallow your DRM limitations, but give us our Blu-Ray." There will always be a push-pull aspect to the marketplace. All-in-all, isn't it getting better?
All in all, nope, it is getting worse!

Here is the problem with DRM-- It still gets defeated! All it does is harm the good guys and make it more difficult to use the media that you have PURCHASED across multiple devices. The bad guys side-step DRM.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
All in all, nope, it is getting worse! Here is the problem with DRM-- It still gets defeated! All it does is harm the good guys and make it more difficult to use the media that you have PURCHASED across multiple devices. The bad guys side-step DRM.
Well, I stand corrected, then. I'll count myself as a resister of DRM encroachment in the AV marketplace. "Resist we much!" -- Al Sharpton

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
My Denon AVR-4520ci flagship a few years ago had something that was possibly similar? It was called Denon’s proprietary Compressed Audio Restorer
function restores sound quality from compressed
music sources.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My Denon AVR-4520ci flagship a few years ago had something that was possibly similar? It was called Denon’s proprietary Compressed Audio Restorer
function restores sound quality from compressed
music sources.
Completely different animal

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis