NEW Emotiva 13.2 PrePro

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
This.

I think the correct ratio for a $25K AVP would be around $75K for the mains. Perhaps $75K each? :p
But how much in amplification? ;)

Fixed that for you. :D
Hahaha, damn $75k each!! That's too rich for my blood!

I plan on spending around $12k-ish for amps. Going all ATI Class D.

Though for me spending the big bucks for the processor gives me the necessary headroom I'm looking for. I want to start with a 9.4.6. If down the road some years after being built I want to add more speakers, I will have the headroom if I have 24ch processor. I wouldn't want to shortchange myself then have to sell a processor to purchase another one. Just get it right away and be done with it.

Now the big question is projector!!

My favorite forum on AVS is the $120k-$500k projector battles people have. I love how they argue which one is better! hahahaha

B

Bonscott

Audioholic
I mean if a person purchased all cheap arse klipsch speakers and dropped $2k for the whole setup and then dropped $25k on a processor, I might look at that as a bit odd.

For me personally, me spending $25k on a processor will compliment my $25-$30k+ in speakers I will be purchasing. I'm looking forward to building my next theater and going all out. Buy once, cry once. Haha :D
If you can afford $25K for a processor and $30k on speakers. You are not doing much crying.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
So does Denon fix the 3700H when something goes wrong both in and out of warranty? How does that go? Do I ship the unit over-seas? Any actual experience with this? Just asking since this is a big "contention" point with Emotiva.

Very best,
Well said!!! im curious to that answer

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I mean if a person purchased all cheap arse klipsch speakers and dropped $2k for the whole setup and then dropped $25k on a processor, I might look at that as a bit odd.

For me personally, me spending $25k on a processor will compliment my $25-$30k+ in speakers I will be purchasing. I'm looking forward to building my next theater and going all out. Buy once, cry once. Haha :D
At these prices, you have certainly met diminishing returns.

So, I must assume that you will be planning to spend a proportionate amount of $ on acoustic room treatments and measurement gear too? If that isn't in the plan, then you would be better served to skim some of those $ off of the generous electronics budget and add it to room treatments and measurement gear.

These are simple economic concepts (not limited to AV), when you hit diminishing returns in 1 area, you get the most bang for the buck with the first few $ that you spend in other areas that have not begun to approach diminishing returns.

Personally, more than ~$2k for a pre-pro is getting to be a bit silly to me, for my wants and needs. Really, it's the fact that a pre-pro is the gear that tends to go obsolete the quickest. A good power amp pretty much never goes obsolete, same for speakers, so more $ there makes more sense to me, and I feel like I have been getting good returns on the TV technology if it is at least 1080p (depending on a few factors, etc). And, since speakers are the only transducers in the signal chain, it makes sense to spend the big $ there.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So does Denon fix the 3700H when something goes wrong both in and out of warranty? How does that go? Do I ship the unit over-seas? Any actual experience with this? Just asking since this is a big "contention" point with Emotiva.

Very best,
I can tell you that a few years back, my bro-in-law had a network card go out on his Denon (I believe he has the 3300). He contacted Denon and they sent him to a local authorized repair shop called Pyramid Audio (Austin, TX).

I know D&M has a few authorized repair centers in the USA. He was lucky that he happened to live in Austin, so he drove it up there, dropped it off, and picked up a warranty repaired unit a few days later.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
LOL! Check out this link, I was just poking around Pyramid Audio, and they also service Emotiva gear. They are not an authorized Emo service center, but they say they will work on Emo out of warranty items.

This may be a good resource for anyone experiencing out of warranty problems:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
At these prices, you have certainly met diminishing returns.

So, I must assume that you will be planning to spend a proportionate amount of $ on acoustic room treatments and measurement gear too? If that isn't in the plan, then you would be better served to skim some of those $ off of the generous electronics budget and add it to room treatments and measurement gear.

These are simple economic concepts (not limited to AV), when you hit diminishing returns in 1 area, you get the most bang for the buck with the first few $ that you spend in other areas that have not begun to approach diminishing returns.

Personally, more than ~$2k for a pre-pro is getting to be a bit silly to me, for my wants and needs. Really, it's the fact that a pre-pro is the gear that tends to go obsolete the quickest. A good power amp pretty much never goes obsolete, same for speakers, so more $ there makes more sense to me, and I feel like I have been getting good returns on the TV technology if it is at least 1080p (depending on a few factors, etc). And, since speakers are the only transducers in the signal chain, it makes sense to spend the big $ there.
The wise decision today is to get an AVR which has a preamp function setting. That allows you to use it as a pre-pro and using external amplifiers. One such AVR is the Denon AVR-X3700H which I'm using in my HT system.
Denon and also possibly Marantz will release some 2022 models that will also have this feature which reduces electric power consumption and heat by turning off the inboard power amps.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The wise decision today is to get an AVR which has a preamp function setting. That allows you to use it as a pre-pro and using external amplifiers. One such AVR is the Denon AVR-X3700H which I'm using in my HT system.
Denon and also possibly Marantz will release some 2022 models that will also have this feature which reduces electric power consumption and heat by turning off the inboard power amps.
Agreed, and I'm running a 4400 in the living room, 3500 in the man cave, both bought as previous models and good prices. These models came out before they added those pre-amp only options (I think?). Then again, I don't even bother to run these in eco mode, so power consumption isn't my highest priority here.

I looked to these specifically b/c they have a full set of pre-amp outs, but I haven't even bothered to hook up an external amp yet.

Edit-- I also like the convenience of Denon HEOS

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now that I look at it there are a few doubles in there with different values? why is that? is that due to DB vs Voltage?
Could be. I really didn't study that in detail. @PENG could probably answer that question.

I also have noticed that some of these components have been measured more than once. For example, once prior to a firmware or other changes. And then measure again post firmware or other changes.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Now that I look at it there are a few doubles in there with different values? why is that? is that due to DB vs Voltage?
Yes, SINAD improved at lower output voltage, so 102 dB (actually 101.585/101.84 dB) with pre out at only 2.7 V. The lower values (96.646/97.252 dB) were measured with pre out at about 4 V.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Them's be happy tears! :p
The more I've been thinking about it, at your budget, and for what you say you want to do, you need to be allocating funding for professional room measurements, room treatments, and professional projector or TV calibrations.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The more I've been thinking about it, at your budget, and for what you say you want to do, you need to be allocating funding for professional room measurements, room treatments, and professional projector or TV calibrations.
You'd be correct in saying that I should have some funds for room treatments and hiring a professional calibrator. No worries my AH forum buddy. Keep in mind, I'm not just spending everything on two items, I will be building a state of the art home theater. My budget is $150k+. If you think Gene's theater is "cool", my next build will be blowing his out of the water. I will be getting my theater professionally designed, room treated and calibrated. I haven't figured out which projector I'm going to go with. Some days I think JVC NZ9 will do it, others I feel like I need to jump up to the Sony GTZ 380. There is also a nice in-between with the Nero Sim2 Gold. If you haven't heard of that check it out. I'm looking at adding either the Lumagen Pro or the MadVR Envy Extreme to my setup. Not sure on screen size, but I'm looking at the very least 170" AT screen. Could go as high as 200".

Everything is dependent upon my room size. I don't have those details yet. Will have to wait until next year. Still deciding on if we're going to build a custom home or buy existing. So until I can get those details figured out, I won't know which ave I will go down for some of the products on my list.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
You'd be correct in saying that I should have some funds for room treatments and hiring a professional calibrator. No worries my AH forum buddy. Keep in mind, I'm not just spending everything on two items, I will be building a state of the art home theater. My budget is $150k+. If you think Gene's theater is "cool", my next build will be blowing his out of the water. I will be getting my theater professionally designed, room treated and calibrated. I haven't figured out which projector I'm going to go with. Some days I think JVC NZ9 will do it, others I feel like I need to jump up to the Sony GTZ 380. There is also a nice in-between with the Nero Sim2 Gold. If you haven't heard of that check it out. I'm looking at adding either the Lumagen Pro or the MadVR Envy Extreme to my setup. Not sure on screen size, but I'm looking at the very least 170" AT screen. Could go as high as 200".

Everything is dependent upon my room size. I don't have those details yet. Will have to wait until next year. Still deciding on if we're going to build a custom home or buy existing. So until I can get those details figured out, I won't know which ave I will go down for some of the products on my list.
Sounds like your rich and I just so happen to be accepting donations for my mediocre surround sound/HT living media versatile room build. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like your rich and I just so happen to be accepting donations for my mediocre surround sound/HT living media versatile room build. :)
No, he’s just been going to that damn AVS forum too many times and it’s adversely affecting his psychology. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
No, he’s just been going to that damn AVS forum too many times and it’s adversely affecting his psychology. :D
Hahahahaha! Hey, I had to even the playing field. This site has the budget builders and AVS has the high end builders. I need both worlds! :p

But for reals, I'm not messing around with my next theater build. It's wife approved. She gets the swimming pool and I get the home theater. So all we need now is the new home! :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hahahahaha! Hey, I had to even the playing field. This site has the budget builders and AVS has the high end builders. I need both worlds! :p

But for reals, I'm not messing around with my next theater build. It's wife approved. She gets the swimming pool and I get the home theater. So all we need now is the new home! :D
Just slip it all into the mortgage! :D
With that, I hope you go Perlisten or RTJ!

And don’t forget to install an underwater HT system.
o_O ;) :cool:

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Just slip it all into the mortgage! :D
With that, I hope you go Perlisten or RTJ!

And don’t forget to install an underwater HT system.
o_O ;) :cool:
I am most likely going with a full RBH setup. Minus the subwoofer. Those will be JTR 4000's. I'm also interested in the JL Audio in-walls subwoofers. I've been seeing those in more home theater videos. Might use those for side subs.

If I don't go RBH, then I will be doing a full JTR setup. All 215's. Do 3-215RT's for fronts and 4 or 6 215RM's for sides and surrounds.

Perlisten has now come out with in-walls, but nobody has them yet. And they're a tad too expensive. I'm sold on JTR and RBH anyways. RTJ would be cool, but I feel the prices they have for that lineup are tad too high. I can get great performance from the JTR lineup instead.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I am most likely going with a full RBH setup. Minus the subwoofer. Those will be JTR 4000's. I'm also interested in the JL Audio in-walls subwoofers. I've been seeing those in more home theater videos. Might use those for side subs.

If I don't go RBH, then I will be doing a full JTR setup. All 215's. Do 3-215RT's for fronts and 4 or 6 215RM's for sides and surrounds.

Perlisten has now come out with in-walls, but nobody has them yet. And they're a tad too expensive. I'm sold on JTR and RBH anyways. RTJ would be cool, but I feel the prices they have for that lineup are tad too high. I can get great performance from the JTR lineup instead.
Man both lineups would be out of this world whichever you go with that will be an awesome thread when you start it!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Man both lineups would be out of this world whichever you go with that will be an awesome thread when you start it!
Thank you. I will definitely be starting a build thread once everything gets started. Hopefully once it's started the whole process won't take forever.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis