NEW Emotiva 13.2 PrePro

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I know that many of you aren't Emotiva fans due to bad taste/blood etc.etc. but whats everyone's thoughts on their new 13.2 prepro? The BasX MC1 - 13.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Processor. $999

I've been patiently waiting for either the right AVR or PrePro to come along and this seems promising.Currently I own the Emotiva 8100 Fusion. Its been great honestly but lacks many features. Budget; would be nice to be below $1400 but I could stretch considering nothing is ever in stock anyways and I could wait and build up more money.

Yes, I would need an amp too which I could get their 5 channel BasX line amp for $600 or the 3 channel for $500 and build from their.

Anywho, thoughts on this?

As a side note, Items of interest are Bluetooth transmit for wireless headphones (Yes, I know this is not offered for the MC1), at least 9.1 of processing, and 4k @ 60hz minimum. I'd prefer more power hence the amp and yes I know the added values are minimal (say 80 watts to 140 watts) but F it, MORE POWER, at a budget :)

Speakers are still in the works....

Currently the AVR's on my radar are the Onkyo RS50, Yamahas A6A( which is pretty steep on cost honestly) and waiting on Denon/Marantz for their new line up. Also, it is to my understanding Emotiva could have some AVR's on the horizon as well.

This is not a dedicated home theater but I want to get the most I can out of my living room versatile build at the right budget. I think this is most peoples situation, perhaps im wrong but....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Too bad this came out months after my MC700 died, especially since have the "forever" discount on processors from them. I already replaced it. My thoughts? My older UC still works fine with my son in law, never had any issues. The MC700 had two failures so I would have concerns about new models with them, which is why I did not go with Emo this time around.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My only experiences I am able to relate are second hand: owners of various rmc/xmc processors who all ditched them for the HTP-1. In general, all of them shared similar complaints about connectivity, rough edges, and almost complete disfunction and a metric fcuk-ton of broken promises.
There is also a track record of Emo not supporting discontinued products… which may not be a huge problem… if they didn’t seem to discontinue their product lines on fairly short cycles.
Unless you are in a bind, I would urge you to wait patiently for the 2022 releases.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When my MC700 had its first issue, they repaired it for the cost of shipping, since I am the original owner and a beta tester. The second time, for the exact same issue, they wanted a lot since the model was discontinued. I still have my MC700, maybe I will trade it in for this one and pass it on to my son in law.

The Emo-Q IMO, is not as good as Multi-EQ XT as well. I guess we'll have to see how this new variation is. Dirac is pretty darn good though, maybe as good or better, but this unit doesn't have it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dirac is pretty darn good though, maybe as good or better, but this unit doesn't have it.
One of the complaints shared many times is that Dirac on the Emo products is part of the poor functionality. I recall perhaps some people reporting that Emo did get it working on at least one of the processors(?).
I could be wrong in this and freely admit it, welcoming any correction if one is available.
In contrast, however, HTP-1 owners that switched from Emo were ecstatic about the functionality on the HTP-1.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One of the complaints shared many times is that Dirac on the Emo products is part of the poor functionality. I recall perhaps some people reporting that Emo did get it working on at least one of the processors(?).
I could be wrong in this and freely admit it, welcoming any correction if one is available.
In contrast, however, HTP-1 owners that switched from Emo were ecstatic about the functionality on the HTP-1.
I haven't owned one that had Dirac so far, but I heard it in the Emo roadshow when they came to town. On vs. off it did a pretty good job in a random, untreated room. So I can't speak from actually trying to use it myself. Multi XT32 however, does an excellent job :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, modern Emo gear, I think "promising" is the right word to use. Promises and maybe delivery on those promises.

In my opinion, stick to the big name players for modern pre-pros. There are just way too many features and points to fail or not test robustly for the small brands to compete.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
or you can get a Denon AVR with excellent preouts that always works and just add amplification. The unused amp section can power a separate zone of audio....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
or you can get a Denon AVR with excellent preouts that always works and just add amplification. The unused amp section can power a separate zone of audio....
Exactly what I was thinking. I really like the AVR as a processor option. I have been doing it for years. First Yamaha and now got the last few years with the Denon X3400H. It's controlling a 5 channel Parasound amp. Beautiful thing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Exactly what I was thinking. I really like the AVR as a processor option. I have been doing it for years. First Yamaha and now got the last few years with the Denon X3400H. It's controlling a 5 channel Parasound amp. Beautiful thing.

Best of all, it works, no bugs or field beta testing required :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is what many members have been saying for years.

Especially since AVRs measure as well as or better than Pre-pros that cost $20K.

1kHz THD+N:
Trinnov MK2 = 0.002%
Denon x3700 = 0.001%
Denon x8500 = 0.0007%
DataSat LS10 = 0.0007%

Rule of thumb: stick to big company AVP/AVR that have less bugs. Also try to buy older generation models if possible to avoid early bugs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Once you get into the high tier Pre/pros, I am not entirely sure what you're getting? I heard a crazy setup with Classe pre and amps and while it sounded amazing, though I attributed much of that to the $25k/pr. speakers mainly, I didn't think to myself "I need to sell a kidney to have this".

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Once you get into the high tier Pre/pros, I am not entirely sure what you're getting? I heard a crazy setup with Classe pre and amps and while it sounded amazing, though I attributed much of that to the $25k/pr. speakers mainly, I didn't think to myself "I need to sell a kidney to have this".
A-fcuking-men, Brudah!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I attributed much of that to the $25k/pr. speakers
A random afterthought:
Imagine buying a pair of Speakers at that ticket, and finding out that they weren't finished?! How would you feel Gamma Testing Speakers?
Why is it OK that these companies are releasing AVPs that are not ready for Prime Time?

Was the RMC-1 from Emo the first? But how many since, even including the HTP-1 (which by all accounts is almost there), the JBL Synthesis SDP-55, early adopters of the Anthem AV-70... Others?

If I paid even $5K for a pair of Speakers that were "pending" updates, I would sell my soul and haunt those responsible as if the darkest horror movie possible...

Yet read the 2021 Aventage thread and see how many are gloriously happy to own "cutting edge" tech that isn't even functioning yet.

This needs to end.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Best of all, it works, no bugs or field beta testing required :)
And it's not crazy expensive to change out to a new one for new technology. These processors are crazy expensive. I can get a great deal on a new AVR with pre outs and get new technology.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
This is what many members have been saying for years.

Especially since AVRs measure as well as or better than Pre-pros that cost $20K.

1kHz THD+N:
Trinnov MK2 = 0.002%
Denon x3700 = 0.001%
Denon x8500 = 0.0007%
DataSat LS10 = 0.0007%

Rule of thumb: stick to big company AVP/AVR that have less bugs. Also try to buy older generation models if possible to avoid early bugs.
My Denon X3400H was on clearance! That's how I do it baby. Making room for new model year is right up my alley.

Last edited:
S

svenyun

Audiophyte
I have always hoped Emotiva would make a solid and affordable processor. I live close enough to visit and would love to be able to drop by and pick one up. But they have always had more issues with their processors than I was comfortable with. And their reluctance to service products once they begin selling a newer model. I believe Gene had some of their amps that Emotiva either would not repair, or wanted to charge a lot for repairing.

I hope they are able to knock this one out of the park, I really do.

Is their EmoQ correction any good? I have not read that much about it, should probably try to read up on it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I understand receivers can measure just as good as a pre/pro, but is there actually a difference in sound between a quality pre/pro and a receiver using external amplification? Some say there is greater channel separation, but I've only used receivers so I can't comment. I'm happy to pay a bit more for a good pre/pro if I'm actually getting something for the extra money, but if the only real reason preamps cost more is due to economies of scale, then it's obviously not worth it to me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have always hoped Emotiva would make a solid and affordable processor. I live close enough to visit and would love to be able to drop by and pick one up. But they have always had more issues with their processors than I was comfortable with. And their reluctance to service products once they begin selling a newer model. I believe Gene had some of their amps that Emotiva either would not repair, or wanted to charge a lot for repairing.

I hope they are able to knock this one out of the park, I really do.

Is their EmoQ correction any good? I have not read that much about it, should probably try to read up on it.
I had the first budget one, the UMC200 that was actually rock solid. Gave it to the son-in-law and it is still going. It lacks current features though, so we're looking to upgrade it and I am not sure this unit will be the answer. AVR from last year will likely have very similar features and capability for less $$.

Older versions of EmoQ are good, not great. It always got my sub wrong, coming in way too hot. This new version, we will have to see.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis