New Denon avr-X3600H owner with questions

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear about your knee, good luck on the knee replacement. I have some right knee issues due old sports injury (and a surgery), but mostly it lets me be active, sometimes keeps me off my mountain bike tho.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to hear about your knee, good luck on the knee replacement. I have some right knee issues due old sports injury (and a surgery), but mostly it lets me be active, sometimes keeps me off my mountain bike tho.
Thanks HD, yeah Oilfield can be a rough place to work in. I’m having trouble keep my weight down. Being retired sucks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks HD, yeah Oilfield can be a rough place to work in. I’m having trouble keep my weight down. Being retired sucks.
Well retirement is a lot more fun when you're mobile....but I still prefer it over working myself. 15 years of it so far....

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I was under the impression that Dolby lifted the restrictions on letting DTS upmix Dolby content. Unless I am misunderstand how this works.
The owners manual for the Denon avr-X3600H plainly states that you cannot use DTS at all when the program uses any type of Dolby encoded movie. One of the biggest reasons I went with a newer receiver was to try DTS X and it up mixers with Dolby content to see which one I like better.
Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am not than I believe Denon made a big mistake not allowing this feature. I’m almost certainly believe the older 4500h allowed this..
I am still within the return period to swap the 3600 for the 4500 if it has the option I am speaking of.. If anyone can help me with this issue I am having? It would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Any Atmos / DtsX users have any opinions on my last comments about not being able to cross formats using up mixers ?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Any Atmos / DtsX users have any opinions on my last comments about not being able to cross formats using up mixers ?
Not really I guess. I believe you’re right about the restrictions being lifted. My 6012 allows upmixing of cross formats. DSU on dtshdma and vice versa.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. I see myself getting the 4500 instead because I think this is a bad decision on Denon's part to omit this simple feature on a new product.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the reply. I see myself getting the 4500 instead because I think this is a bad decision on Denon's part to omit this simple feature on a new product.
I didn’t follow the timeline close enough but I wonder if a firmware update would take care if it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn’t follow the timeline close enough but I wonder if a firmware update would take care if it.
I wouldn't count on that as it depends on who is going to prevail, Dolby, the EU, manufacturers..

As it is now, unless something changed and we missed, if Denon/Marantz allows the upmixing, they would have to give up Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, that's according something I read on another forum, apparently a reply someone got from Denon when he asked about that new format for the AVR-X4500H.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't count on that as it depends on who is going to prevail, Dolby, the EU, manufacturers..

As it is now, unless something changed and we missed, if Denon/Marantz allows the upmixing, they would have to give up Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, that's according something I read on another forum, apparently a reply someone got from Denon when he asked about that new format for the AVR-X4500H.
I’m glad you dropped in. I was gonna @PENG “ping” ya. Lol.
Like I said, glad you’re here because I haven’t followed the debacle since my 6012 can upmixing either. I couldn’t care any less about virtualization so.... Thanks for the post!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m glad you dropped in. I was gonna @PENG “ping” ya. Lol.
Like I said, glad you’re here because I haven’t followed the debacle since my 6012 can upmixing either. I couldn’t care any less about virtualization so.... Thanks for the post!
Agreed, no need to virtualize if you can do the real thing, but for those who can't do the real thing they are forced to give up the cross format eventually, unless someone continue to press Dolby and prevail in the second round.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Found that other thread about cross format and Atmos/height virtualization response from Denon. See post#346 and 349.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Found that other thread about cross format and Atmos/height virtualization response from Denon. See post#346 and 349.

Thanks Peng

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis