New Denon avr-X3600H owner with questions

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Just hooked up my new “refurbished “ Denon AVR-X3600H. I ran Audyssey and everything went very smooth. It put my towers to large and I changed the to small but could not find the crossover adjustment list.
It sounds pretty good but I had company come over so left it alone and watched a few movies and television. Now that I have time I can’t find where to check crossover options, can’t even find where to set Audyssey on/ off options. I’m lost.lol

Can anyone help me navigate Audyssey or share a link that would help me to use it better? Also I would appreciate if members leave their opinions adout how and why they use or don’t use certain features of Audyssey such as dynamic eq and such..
Thanks for any help .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
RTFM! :)

Using your remote (and I'm assuming they haven't significantly changed menus, don't have 3600, I have a 4520 but wondering if that's true since you found Speaker Configuration which on mine is on the same speaker/manual setup menu): Setup key - Speakers - Manual Setup - Crossovers ?

Same for Audyssey - on mine it's Setup - Audio - Audyssey

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
RTFM! :)

Using your remote (and I'm assuming they haven't significantly changed menus, don't have 3600, I have a 4520 but wondering if that's true since you found Speaker Configuration which on mine is on the same speaker/manual setup menu): Setup key - Speakers - Manual Setup - Crossovers ?

Same for Audyssey - on mine it's Setup - Audio - Audyssey
Sounds the same as my Marantz. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just hooked up my new “refurbished “ Denon AVR-X3600H. I ran Audyssey and everything went very smooth. It put my towers to large and I changed the to small but could not find the crossover adjustment list.
It sounds pretty good but I had company come over so left it alone and watched a few movies and television. Now that I have time I can’t find where to check crossover options, can’t even find where to set Audyssey on/ off options. I’m lost.lol

Can anyone help me navigate Audyssey or share a link that would help me to use it better? Also I would appreciate if members leave their opinions adout how and why they use or don’t use certain features of Audyssey such as dynamic eq and such..
Thanks for any help .
You can also see my comments post-setup to someone else:

Since you ran Audyssey one thing some avrs do is turn on Audyssey's Dynamic Volume (a dynamic compression routine) automatically and I'd just turn that off as that's my preference not to have that running (might be handy for late nite listening and keeping things a little more tolerable for others in the house). Audyssey's Dynamic EQ is also usually turned on automatically; this I personally find very handy but is mainly setup for movies to start, with music I think you might prefer to use it in conjunction with the Reference Level Offset settings. Some will change particular speaker levels after running Audyssey to suit, sub is the most frequently cited one (many bump it up 2-4 dB). If you're using a sub and any speakers were set to "large" I'd change them to small and probably start with an 80hz crossover and experiment from there.

Here are some comments by Audyssey on the subject of crossover and dynamic eq/RLO.

audyssey.zendesk.com

Crossover frequency
I have an Onkyo TXNR807 receiver - Does Audyssey automatically set the crossover frequency or do I need to do that as part of the speaker setup.

audyssey.zendesk.com
audyssey.zendesk.com

audyssey.zendesk.com

Dynamic EQ and Reference Level
What is Dynamic EQ and reference level?

audyssey.zendesk.com
audyssey.zendesk.com

ps I recommend downloading the pdf of the manual, easier to use and usually a better format

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks guys. I had an Onkyo 838 that uses their own room eq, so I am totally new to Audyssey. I should have mentioned that the system is primarily for HT maybe 5% music. Also I had to adjust my subs way to high so might need to run Audyssey again or I have something set wrong. I’ll keep trying until I get it right.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks guys. I had an Onkyo 838 that uses their own room eq, so I am totally new to Audyssey. I should have men
I have an Onkyo from when they still used Audyssey....I haven't used AccuEQ but Audyssey is likely at least more mic positions (and hope you used them all, and in what pattern and how you position the mic can matter).

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks Lov . I’m gonna run Audyssey again tomorrow when it’s quiet. During the 8th mic position an ambulance passed and a few large fireworks went off. Lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Lov . I’m gonna run Audyssey again tomorrow when it’s quiet. During the 8th mic position an ambulance passed and a few large fireworks went off. Lol
Yeah that's probably not great but isn't there a go-back feature from each mic position in case that happens again? I don't really remember but once a flock of birds came and made a buncha racket during one position and I ran it to completion to see how much it mattered.....it indeed sounded odd so I reran it and was much better doing so.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Before you do that, I suggest you reset the processor to factory default setting first. When being refurbished they should have done the reset but you never know..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Before you do that, I suggest you reset the processor to factory default setting first. When being refurbished they should have done the reset but you never know..
FWIW not necessary for Audyssey particularly as Audyssey resets all relevant features on each run.....but for other features I'd definitely run the full reset on receipt of a used/refurb model....

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I will take the advice given to me. But I do want to say I could not tell that anyone touched or used the unit. Everything looks factory new, the remote even had the clear plastic over the front.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will take the advice given to me. But I do want to say I could not tell that anyone touched or used the unit. Everything looks factory new, the remote even had the clear plastic over the front.
They can do that much as part of the refurb process....but better to play it safe as from my understanding refurbs are largely returned items.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hey CajunLB, please post up your thoughts on your 3600 when you’ve had some time with it. That Denon 3600 has a very nice build to it not to mention it’s loaded with all the bells and whistles.
I have no doubt you’ll enjoy it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@CajunLB a benefit of not running reset may be retention of any loaded up ID/password for streaming apps :)

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks Lov you’re help has given the answers to my questions. Now I see how the navigation is done. I’ll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow after reset and Audyssey.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Will think about pro's and cons about reset over night.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks guys. I had an Onkyo 838 that uses their own room eq, so I am totally new to Audyssey. I should have mentioned that the system is primarily for HT maybe 5% music. Also I had to adjust my subs way to high so might need to run Audyssey again or I have something set wrong. I’ll keep trying until I get it right.
Adjusting the subs post audyssey is pretty common. Audyssey aims for flat, while most people prefer a house curved (where the response rises as frequency lowers. Usually 5-10db from 200hz down to about 20hz, or wherever the subs roll off.) After your next audyssey run, try giving the sub trim a 3-5db bump. I’d also recommend trying DEQ on and off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Missed this one. I can take "had to adjust my subs way too high" a few different ways....can you explain? If anything the avr manual generally has you set gain at 50% which is often too much for a typical plate amp. Where was sub trim level set by Audyssey?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis