New DENON AVR-S950H - No Sound

A

AllNightPony

Enthusiast
So the paperwork, and the website, listed their hours for Saturday, but when I called I got a voicemail saying they were closed.

That Yamaha is sweet, but well outside my budget unfortunately.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did buy from A4L! There's such low inventory available, and the deal seemed good. When I did some research they seemed reputable. I haven't been able to get Denon support yet, as they've been closed. So tomorrow will be my first call. Although, at this point I don't know that I see a point in calling Denon.

I'll see if ADTG is still dealing; thanks for the info :)
FWIW even after two refurbs I got from A4L went bad (first was DOA pretty much and even with the second being a few days beyond the 30 day limit before it crapped out, they still took it back (but then I bought a new unit for $100 more from them as I just wanted to get it over with, was tired of taking the bad ones out, putting back in an old avr twice, plus the system the old avr was being used in twice....). They were fine to deal with but they do tend to stick to their terms of sale.

I take it you weren't able to get a peep out of it using the radio or a non-hdmi source?

A

AllNightPony

Enthusiast
I tried aux & radio; nothing from either source.

I just hope I don't get stuck shipping dead avr's around for the next few weeks/months!

Worst time to need a receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I tried aux & radio; nothing from either source.

I just hope I don't get stuck shipping dead avr's around for the next few weeks/months!

Worst time to need a receiver.
I think you will wait a long time the way things are going. I have a feeling these types of items will be in very short supply in the next couple of years and may be longer.

Why don't you snap this up.

It is missing the feet, but that is not a bog issue and easily solved. I think as far as this new crop of receivers they are going to be just trouble. I expect huge reliability going forward, unless we take a very different approach. I think 5.1 receivers need to go back on the market. We really need to get away from receivers they will be increasingly bad news going into the future.

A

AllNightPony

Enthusiast
I really am a noob, especially when it comes to components. I guess I'm pretty basic; 5.1 Pioneer, TCL, Xbox - so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. But I would like to future proof a bit. So although I don't plan on using Atmos any time soon, maybe I'll wanna add it in a year or two? Who knows. But yeah, I don't need to spend a ton probably, but don't mind spending a bit more if it makes sense.

Would the V385 be a good fit for me, considering I'll be just playing the new Xbox One X and streaming video content?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I really am a noob, especially when it comes to components. I guess I'm pretty basic; 5.1 Pioneer, TCL, Xbox - so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. But I would like to future proof a bit. So although I don't plan on using Atmos any time soon, maybe I'll wanna add it in a year or two? Who knows. But yeah, I don't need to spend a ton probably, but don't mind spending a bit more if it makes sense.

Would the V385 be a good fit for me, considering I'll be just playing the new Xbox One X and streaming video content?
I have not heard good things about the bottom end of the Yamaha range. It is best to aim for at least the mid level price range.

A

AllNightPony

Enthusiast
Which models represent the mid-range? RX-V685 or RX-A780?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, bad deal. Sorry your Denon didn't work for you. The day my Onkyo breaks will be a sad one, I can't replace it with another new one. Seriously, nothing out there. I had many a Denon but they just aren't making them like they used to make them and I don't like a receiver that can double as a hot plate. Seriously, one 8K port? $1,200 for an X3700H and no universal remote control? The look of the new Yamaha RX-V6A is growing on me though I still think it is an Imperial droid that will spy on its owner. I wish the cord on the Yamaha was more robust and removable. You think you will never have to move them after the install and then you add or remove a component and need to move things around. It is very convenient to pull the plug right from the back of the receiver. It also has too many features that aren't available right out of the box and require a firmware update to be enabled. The Yamaha RX-V6A may work well for you if you are going to use the new game consoles to get VRR and higher resolutions. But, it may or may not show up "soon". Then, one will have to wait for those firmware updates for the full feature set. I hope you are able to find something that fits your needs at a good price.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Which models represent the mid-range? RX-V685 or RX-A780?
Either. However they are out of stock most places. Best Buy seem to have a reasonable stock of Yamaha receivers. It seem the sweet spot for Yamaha mid price offerings is in the $600 to $900 dollar range. From what I see, I expect some very big price increases for audio gear imminent.

A

AllNightPony

Enthusiast
So if the refurb price is $450-$500, then it's mid-range I suppose?

Inventory is crazy right now. I didn't expect this.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The RX-V6A is the 2020 model. It looks interesting and should be in stock soon.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I expect some very big price increases for audio gear imminent.
Probably only some higher end models. The lower end models will probably stay the same.

I was told by a rep that the upcoming Yamaha RX-A8 that will replace the $2,000 RX-A3080 is going to retail $3,000. :eek:

I don’t believe it until I see it. But, man, that’s hard.

Last edited:
A

AllNightPony

Enthusiast
So I returned the Denon, and have an RX-A780 arriving tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If it's a refurb from Accessories for Less check every channel and every feature one by one before the return period ends. Even then, it may not last. From my experience and other reports it's clear Denon is not checking these units for problems like they should be. And if you have an issue it's expensive to ship and Denon communication is amazingly poor.

My refurb Denon 4500 broke down after 6 months. I shipped it to PANURGYOEM for repair more than two weeks ago and have not heard anything. It cost $86 to ship. Without return shipping covered by Denon and a better cooling system, refurb buyers will end up paying more for the refurb than if they bought a new receiver. You think you're saving money but in reality you're buying a receiver ready to drop dead with zero support.

A

AllNightPony

Enthusiast
If it's a refurb from Accessories for Less check every channel and every feature one by one before the return period ends. Even then, it may not last. From my experience and other reports it's clear Denon is not checking these units for problems like they should be. And if you have an issue it's expensive to ship and Denon communication is amazingly poor.

My refurb Denon 4500 broke down after 6 months. I shipped it to PANURGYOEM for repair more than two weeks ago and have not heard anything. It cost $86 to ship. Without return shipping covered by Denon and a better cooling system, refurb buyers will end up paying more for the refurb than if they bought a new receiver. You think you're saving money but in reality you're buying a receiver ready to drop dead with zero support.
Appreciate the input. I recently learned about the possible heat issues, which is why when I sent the Denon back, I got a Yamaha instead. I feel a little better buying with the warranty intact, and the Yamaha is 18 months I believe. Plus, I'm hoping the build quality, and parts are superior to Denon.

We will see!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nature of consumer electronics to an extent, sometimes you'll get a stinker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis