New company maufacturing reel to reel machines

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Man! I been telling these cats the very same thing. Way before the recording engineer in the Studio and producer pushes that fingerprint on it. It's for that reason your favorite band artist instrumental band doesn't sound the same when in a live show. All the Reverb added to just about everthing ever recorded in a recording studio just about all sounds the same.
Well that is a genuine curse of digital. In the old analog days, all there was, was the spring reverb.

Now the recording editing software accepts an unlimited number of plugins. These are very nasty pieces of software than can be added to the program to create a myriad of horrid effects. This creates even nastier and more horrible music than heretofore. What I call the "age of ugliness" goes further into the artistic abyss.

The engineers are so smitten with this rubbish software they use it at every opportunity. You should just listen to some of the tripe I get sent. Of course I return it with my more than usual cryptic remarks until they send me something worth mastering, or they stop pestering me.

Yamaha who own Steinberg are always trying to push this junk on me with free offers. My DAW remains proudly plugin free and always will.

If you stay in the analog domain you have to remain plugin free and may be that is part of the issue.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I posted this thread from an engineering point of view and thought it kind of cool that a company would even dare to resurrect this.
.......... and thank you for that.

nothing wrong with the 'hobbyist' side of things , I still run live steam locomotives in my backyard.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
.......... and thank you for that.

nothing wrong with the 'hobbyist' side of things , I still run live steam locomotives in my backyard.
We need pics of the steam locomotives in the backyard now....

TechHDS

Audioholic General
They said when CD was first out, was All you would ever need. Was the end all to every format ever made before or was going to come after. It would last 200 years! the actual CD that is. Without proper storage you are lucky they last 10 or 15 years. I have many CDs that break, crack very easily. Now the one's that are 15 or so years old sound just as good as the day they where first opened. Tape without very delicate care are even more of a mess to handle, shelf life is what 50 to maybe 75 years just guessing. TLS, like his statement or not with all of the crap in recording Studios makes sense. Probably the main reason all the digital crap is in the studios it cost effective. It would be very time consuming, placing recording mics, at precisely. Just take with the movie industry does just to capture special effects with special cameras and special camera placement a very good action movie will run into millions of bucks.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Again back to engineering.... right mics, right application, digital or not everything thing before the medium is as important ;)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
OK, sorry for the quick hi-jack, back to reel-to-reel ...........

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So how many so far posting in this thead would buy one of these machines and would it be for home use or studio use? Which model if so?

Me: for that price, no interest.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That looks like a lovely model steam engine!

I had a couple when I was a kid. One my nephew now has, the other is still at the OP. I fired it up last for my grandson some years ago. He graduates this year.

Its a Bassett Lowke Mogul 2-6-0 working scale model O gauge.

This is a model railway from Edwardian England that still takes passengers. It is the Romney Hythe Dymchurch railway, that runs along the Kent South Coast and still takes children to school.
I took the grandchildren to it on that visit. Here we are a looking at the Engine that pulled us: - The Winston Churchill.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
This is the part that gets me:

So digital recordings sound too good? I'd think instead of making the recording on older media to achieve an effect it'd be easier to use a different mic or guitar amp, pedal, etc to capture the sound rather than use the media to make it sound different. There are also filters in most DAW to replicate this sort of thing.

Or maybe the intent is to go analog to analog so as not to change the recording in any way. I guess I just don't get it.
And start by making real music again lol. I'm 32 and the difference in quality from the 70's vs today is night and day different. 'Older' music just sounds better, more involved and thought out. (Generally speaking, of course there are exceptions)
I have a few records that I also have on CD and I've streamed, be it that vinyl has the cool factor and does seem to have a unique sound to it, imho. In the end I have yet to find any albums that truly sound better overall on vinyl vs CD.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
And start by making real music again lol. I'm 32 and the difference in quality from the 70's vs today is night and day different. 'Older' music just sounds better, more involved and thought out. (Generally speaking, of course there are exceptions)
I have a few records that I also have on CD and I've streamed, be it that vinyl has the cool factor and does seem to have a unique sound to it, imho. In the end I have yet to find any albums that truly sound better overall on vinyl vs CD.
Would it be, or could have been that music actually had to be performed or was the artist actually an artist. With all the digital crap software that artificially inseminates, like Body Snatchers!!..lolo

highfigh

highfigh

Frankly, I don't understand what the problem is. Recording with 24bit word depth gives you enough headroom to record just about anything without clipping, and then editing software allows you to increase average volume and truncate to 16bits (or whatever).

This whole topic of digital clipping is discussed in the recording industry under the very unfortunate term "inter-sample overs". I've listened to very little pop music in the past decade or so, but apparently digital clipping is a raging problem, at least if you believe the articles about it. If this is really true the recording industry is populated by a lot of really incompetent recording engineers and mastering engineers. I find this difficult to believe, but the evidence is otherwise.
In digital recording, 0VU is all we get, while analog machines can still record with decent fidelity at +10VU if the high frequency content isn't too strong. AFAIK, there's no digital 'words' for anything higher than 0VU.

highfigh

highfigh

You would absolutely never make a high speed copy of a master tape, and if it was an encoded tape the result would be disastrous.

Therein lies another problem with analog.

You always have to make at least one dub of the master. You never edit the original master. Once you cut a tape there is no undo button. Every dub is slightly worse than the master in analog tape. Twice the noise and distortion and a doubling of any frequency response errors. You always dub in code carefully matching levels. So between the FR errors in dubbing and the doubling of FR errors in the encode/decode, you quadruple FR errors with every dub.

That is why when analog was the only game I spent so much of my time with machines in my workshop in Grand Forks obsessionally tweaking reel to reel machines again and again. trying to keep them flat to 0.5 db or better.

Between that and the enormous cost of the tape I was glad to embrace digital. So for a 2 hour concert I would get through $80 of tape and as much again for the edited master and as much again for the broadcast tapes.

Digital on the other hand makes identical copies virtually instantly. Whereas analog dubs are in real time. If I really thought that analog was better I would still go to the trouble. The fact is though you have to go to a vast amount of trouble to get quality that is comparable even to a digital recording. I have been there, so I know.
The high speed comment was only to illustrate the point- a master can't be called a 'master' if it's a copy of the original, anyway. Generational losses in recordings are very obvious, but stored sounds were used before digital files when an instrument or sound were needed and not easily reproduced and as long as it was in synch, it was just another part of the recording, similar to when they would 'punch in' after someone made a mistake.

Cost for analog tape is definitely higher and there's the maintenance for the recording equipment to consider, too. Even so, some people are willing to go through it, but they don't always record music that requires pristine sound. While you and others see no value in this kind of music and it is a bit of a niche audience, it brings in enough money that they see s decent return. One guy who has been buying/remastering and releasing old music on vinyl and has started his own record company is very annoying to me (his voice, music, playing style, the way he dresses- too much to list), but I respect what he's doing as an archivist.

One of the main problems with recording Classical or other music that has extremely quiet passages is the noise floor being so close to the actual music and with the immediate loss of 20dB or more of noise with digital, the need for dbx or something similar is gone, although dither used to help- is that still true?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis