new center with old mains

P

papadoc87

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have  DCM Time Frame 500's as mains and have DCM Time Frame 350's I can use as rear/surrounds. Any thoughts on a center that will work with these antique (1987) but sweet sounding speakers? The same would go for a sub.Thanks.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>You could haunt Audiogon.com and eBay for used DCMs. Even though you'd have to buy a pair. Hey, keep one for a spare!

Other than that, audition speakers that, like DCM, have a rep for neutral, uncolored sound. Or, if you can find out what driver(s) they used for the mid and/or tweet, look for speakers that use those same drivers -- or similar ones from the same mfr. That would take some serious sleuthing, of course. And it assumes that DCM used OEM drivers &amp; not their own designs.

Don't worry about the sub. Bass is bass. Timbre matching doesn't apply.

Good luck!

Whoa! Just did a Google search and they're still in business! Call or email them. I thought they were kaput! Of course, whether they're really the same is another matter.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>I am sorry Rip, but all bass is not created equal. Seabass taste much different than smallmouth bass, and stripped bass is different yet. Grouper, which is a member of the bass family taste much different than largemouth bass and rock bass. Oh bass you meant bass, never mind
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Shows how much you know. Largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and rock bass aren't related to the sea-basses, etc. They're actually in the sunfish family!</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I'm not familiar with your speakers so I can't recommend a specific model. My brother had a similar issue with his old JBLs when moving from two to five channel. This advice foolows along the lines he followed. Trust your ears. Go to your local reputable dealer with your speakers assuming they are small enough to transport. Consider bringing your receiver along as well as some favorite music which emphasizes vocals. If your mains are to large, your rears will probably be similar to your mains in the mid and high range which is most critical for a center. Listen to the models and choose whatever best integrates with the other speakers. Take your time. Speaker shopping is the most enjoyable form of shopping there is IMO.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>Speaker shopping is the most enjoyable form of shopping there is IMO.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Shopping for fishing gear comes close! Hey, it's Spring...

Otherwise, what he said.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I hate to be the lone pessimist, but I think your odds of getting a really good voice match is going to be pretty long. &nbsp;IMO, the rears don't need to be voiced perfectly to the fronts, but it's absolutely crucial that the front 3 be very closely timbre matched. &nbsp;If it was me I'd keep the DCMs for a dedicated 2 ch rig or some other application and buy 3 voice matched speakers for the front.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Rob,
I agree the rears don't need to match so well. I thought if the fronts were too large to move then the rears might be similar in timbre. How close a match one finds depends upon luck, how disciminiating one is and the available selection.

The whole center channel issue I find interesting. I often listen in 4 channel to DVDs when I am alone as I find the imaging is far superior especially to concert DVDs. This may be a function of a poor center (Vandersteen VCC 1 Signature) or the excellent imaging of my mains (Vandersteen 3A Sig) or even my processor (B&amp;K Ref 30). I agree the center is needed if one sits out of the sweet spot. Does anyone else have a similar or contrary experience with 4 vs. 5 channel?</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I pretty much always prefer a center, but maybe it's more from an SPL standpoint that for imaging. &nbsp;My center &amp; mains are a pretty good voice match, though, as are my rears.</font>

annunaki

annunaki

<font color='#000000'>Just some FYI.
DCM is still in business, but it is NOT the same as in the past. From my understanding. They either built their own drivers, or had someone manufacture them to their tailored specs. I can't remember. The 'new' DCM is a Mitek company. They are good speakers for the money, and come with a 10 year warranty. They actually had a surround system (two pairs of bookshelves, center, and a sub) reviewed recently in Sound and Vision that faired quite well. They also offer two floorstanding models. I would check ebay for older DCM speakers. If you can find one or some that match yours, build a new cabinet and create your own center. You could also contact the 'new' DCM and see if anyone from the 'old' DCM is still around. Perhaps someone there could direct you to the proper channels.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis