M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
If your friend took good care of these, they could be worth a try, but given their age I would be gentle and not play them too loudly. Speaker technology has come a long way and there are some decent low budget speakers available from Dayton and Monolith for example. Used market is always an option too.
Thanks you sooo much.....good persoective. I'll find a collector....do you folks have a buyer's market here? I haven't checked, I look.
what about these Omega puppies? Searched on DuckDuckGo!....said originals made in MN.

Attachments

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
Thanks you sooo much.....good persoective. I'll find a collector....do you folks have a buyer's market here? I haven't checked, I look.
what about these Omega puppies? Searched on DuckDuckGo!....said originals made in MN.
THANK YOU ALL! You've saved me a lot of time and I have a much better understanding of what I have and what I need

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There is a Classifieds - Sell Your Gear section in the forums. Those old JBLs could be hard to sell due to the limited market for vintage speakers. I like to use USAudioMart (CanuckAudioMart in Canada). There is also Facebook Marketplace and certain Facebook speaker forums, or Craigslist, but be wary of scammers. You might want to ask in some vintage forums on where it's best to advertise.

Those Omegas look rather old as well, as in 1970s old. Model seems similar to the Omega 300 or Omega III. AudioKarma forum says the Omega 300 was an entry level 12" 3-way speaker. Not worth very much I am afraid... maybe $50. Looks like they used paper surrounds on the drivers, so not susceptible to foam rot, which is good.

If you're on a tight budget then try out both the JBL and the Omega and see which you think sounds better. Don't expect rock band level sound volume. With the age of the speakers I would stick to moderate volume levels so that you don't fry a voice coil and maybe damage your receiver. Selling both speaker sets could get you closer to a newer / better pair.

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
There is a Classifieds - Sell Your Gear section in the forums. Those old JBLs could be hard to sell due to the limited market for vintage speakers. I like to use USAudioMart (CanuckAudioMart in Canada). There is also Facebook Marketplace and certain Facebook speaker forums, or Craigslist, but be wary of scammers. You might want to ask in some vintage forums on where it's best to advertise.

Those Omegas look rather old as well, as in 1970s old. Model seems similar to the Omega 300 or Omega III. AudioKarma forum says the Omega 300 was an entry level 12" 3-way speaker. Not worth very much I am afraid... maybe $50. Looks like they used paper surrounds on the drivers, so not susceptible to foam rot, which is good.

If you're on a tight budget then try out both the JBL and the Omega and see which you think sounds better. Don't expect rock band level sound volume. With the age of the speakers I would stick to moderate volume levels so that you don't fry a voice coil and maybe damage your receiver. Selling both speaker sets could get you closer to a newer / better pair.
That makes so much sense. Will do and your guidance especially sans true old-fashioned customer service and knowledge or the lack thereof from modern stores is pretty much lacking. I know what foam rot is btw!
And since I have them I'm going to try out both models at once. I live dangerously.
I also only know of how there was a lowpoint (?) in the last few years when everything went digital and I wasn't aware of advances in soeakers.
I have 20 yr old Klepsch silver thing for an ipad....I'll start a new thread on that one!
Ciao

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis