WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
All you had to do is tell us the model of the sub and the model of the AVR.
You are only about the 5th new poster this week to ask for help with no useful info.
Not sure why you expect noobs to know the drill. All you had to do is ask him for the model sub and AVR. Or just move on to another thread. Nothing hard about either.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
Wayne:
Thanks again. I thought the model of the sub was on one of the pics I sent you, at the bottom. They were the only numbers it had. Before I buy a new sub (good call on my former friend giving me something he should have recycled), I'll use the speakers from same plus two Omega speakers, from MN I've read, and see if it's a nice combo. At 67 I watched as speakers went from console stereos, to monster wood ones, to what's popular today. Hmmm
Mr Scott Gatty

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You almost certainly can not connect it to your new receiver. Now receivers have line level out and not speaker level outs. So you can not connect that sub directly to your new receiver. You will need a power amp, and connect the sub out of the receiver to the RCA in of the power amp, and then connect the speaker terminals of the power amp to the speaker level inputs of the sub.

That sounds like an old passive sub though, and probably not worth bothering with. I guess your friend dumped it off with you, rather than the recycling center.
REL seems to like speaker level inputs and there aren't many reasons this can't be connected to most AVRs, but it is a passive sub with a crossover built in, so it would be best mated with the speakers JBL intended.

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
Not sure why you expect noobs to know the drill. All you had to do is ask him for the model sub and AVR. Or just move on to another thread. Nothing hard about either.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
okay, I'm thrilled anyone would respond to a complete stranger anyway......geeze

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sheesh, did you guys wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something and get all cranky? The photos showed JBL S-1 and Sony STR-DH590. What was so hard to figure out? Thanks to Treb for the good detective work on the S-1 data. What a strange animal. Dual voice coils crossed at 125Hz with a frequency response of 40 - 200 Hz (the "k" in the first spec sheet is a typo). So this is a passive bass cabinet with speaker level inputs. That means it can be connected to any powered AVR via the speaker terminals, just like the speaker terminal connections on a standard subwoofer. Obviously designed to be paired with a mid/tweeter cabinet.

@Mr scott this could be connected to your AVR's speaker terminals on the LEFT IN and RIGHT IN and then the other speakers get connected to the LEFT OUT and RIGHT OUT. This cabinet only goes down to 40Hz though, so not very useful unless you have small bookshelf speakers that do not play low. A true subwoofer goes down to 20Hz so this is more of a bass cabinet than a true subwoofer. I would agree with Treb and maybe see if there is a JBL collector interested.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
All you had to do is tell us the model of the sub and the model of the AVR.
You are only about the 5th new poster this week to ask for help with no useful info.
No one one Earth is going to recognize what sub you had from what I assume is pic of the only inputs your sub has.

The only thing your unneeded pics confirmed was the model of your AVR.
If that last pic was of an ancient sub, TLS Guy and the rest of us could tell you (and he did)...you need a new sub with an RCA line level LFE input.

What the hell was pic 1 supposed to be ?
You didn't check the "S-1" thingie either...so, that's not a speaker ?
The fourth photo DOES show the model of the sub, but I guess you're too busy being offended by the OP.

If you would bother to search before being a dik, maybe you could have found the info. It shows S-1 and he mentioned that it's a JBL, so combining the two and using a search engine COULD HAVE shown you what you might have used in order to form a usable answer, but I guess your way was easier.

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the kind reply. Apparently I had it upside down. I'm a horticulture science expert who answers neophyte questions so be nice guys and gals!
I'll look into this. I like the faded edges on the manual. He DID give me these, so......they are JBL as well....

Attachments

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
Wow, I mean, WOW. WARNING--PSA: I've hated pesticide-laden lawns since we ripped our's up in...1974, that was a long time ago btw. Eeek i imagine you know this electrical engineer audio dude

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
The fourth photo DOES show the model of the sub, but I guess you're too busy being offended by the OP.

If you would bother to search before being a dik, maybe you could have found the info. It shows S-1 and he mentioned that it's a JBL, so combining the two and using a search engine COULD HAVE shown you what you might have used in order to form a usable answer, but I guess your way was easier.

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
Hi highfigh:
Thanks and yes I still feel bad for returning the, the first comment with vitreol. I have the jbl's I sent just now I nelieve in the mid-range. "It's complicated", so as a collector of many a things, as much as I like all three, maybe a jbl collector would be best. Side note: I live in a apt so volume isn't important...

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
Also, there are three lines coming out of the sub. Could I simply find cables with opennspeaker wire on one end and the type you (now) plug in, iinto the receiver (help).
I found the Omegas at a Saver's, very high but have heard instruments I've never heard before.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the kind reply. Apparently I had it upside down. I'm a horticulture science expert who answers neophyte questions so be nice guys and gals!
I'll look into this. I like the faded edges on the manual. He DID give me these, so......they are JBL as well....
OK, this is making more sense. The P20 is meant to be used with the S-1. You connect the left speaker terminal from your receiver to the LEFT IN on the S-1 and the right speaker terminal to the RIGHT IN on the S-1. Then connect the LEFT OUT to one P20 and the RIGHT OUT to the other P20. This is pretty old gear though.
Jbl Speaker P20_Page_1.jpg

Jbl Speaker P20_Page_2.jpg

M

Mr scott

Audioholic Intern
OK, this is making more sense. The P20 is meant to be used with the S-1. You connect the left speaker terminal from your receiver to the LEFT IN on the S-1 and the right speaker terminal to the RIGHT IN on the S-1. Then connect the LEFT OUT to one P20 and the RIGHT OUT to the other P20. This is pretty old gear though.
View attachment 69685
View attachment 69686
Thanks. You folks are like surgeons or in this case pathologists....hahahaha.
so on a very low budget, (thanks for discussing the configuration that will work Eppie and highfigh)....what to do....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. You folks are like surgeons or in this case pathologists....hahahaha.
so on a very low budget, (thanks for discussing the configuration that will work Eppie and highfigh)....what to do....
If your friend took good care of these, they could be worth a try, but given their age I would be gentle and not play them too loudly. Speaker technology has come a long way and there are some decent low budget speakers available from Dayton and Monolith for example. Used market is always an option too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis