Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m torn between marantz and denon. Never had an issue with my current Yamaha or my other one I still have but kinda want to try a different brand
What is it you want? I'd get the 6013 for 899 and call it a day. You're all over the place with your budget...

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
What is it you want? I'd get the 6013 for 899 and call it a day. You're all over the place with your budget...
Well 1500 would be the max. I can’t remember but did you say the marantz has a warmer sound to it? And do you know what the IMAX enhanced feature does?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well 1500 would be the max. I can’t remember but did you say the marantz has a warmer sound to it? And do you know what the IMAX enhanced feature does?
I said no such thing. A good avr should be reproducing a signal with as little coloration as possible. Any "warmth" or any other audiophool term used to describe amps and avr's would be the result of distortion or whatever dsp is engaged. Otherwise there is no difference. I told you I prefer Denon and Marantz models (X3600 and SR6013) because of their room correction features. Plus the ability to set sub levels and distances separately. Features you currently don't have.

I told you what I'd go with and why. I don't see really gaining much from spending twice the money. Not even close.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That said, if you wanna slap down $1500 on a receiver there's certainly nothing wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't mind owning a 6400. It's a great receiver. I have other places I can spend for better sound with the money saved tho.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
That said, if you wanna slap down $1500 on a receiver there's certainly nothing wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't mind owning a 6400. It's a great receiver. I have other places I can spend for better sound with the money saved tho.
No I don’t want to dish out 1500, rather save the money. Just want whatever avr I get to be as future proof as possible so I’m not replacing it for a long time. Pretty sure I got the 860 in 17 but at the time that’s what I could afford but obviously it lacks certain things. Wasn’t on here then either which probably would of helped with advice from you and others for me not to make mistake of buying the 860

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You could find the Yamaha RX-A2080 somewhere for under $1200.

As for "warmer" sound - the only thing warmer about the Denon or Marantz or any other AVR is the operating temperature of the unit, but you can always put a couple of fans atop the AVR to pull heat out of the chassis.

"IMAX Enhanced" is another one of those "HDR" Video thing. There are like 5 of them out there (IMAX, Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR Plus, and HLG). I think it's ridiculous. :eek:

Just give me Standard 2K or 4K video. :D

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

As for "warmer" sound - the only thing warmer about the Denon or Marantz or any other AVR is the operating temperature of the unit, but you can always put a couple of fans atop the AVR to pull heat out of the chassis.

"IMAX Enhanced" is another one of those "HDR" Video thing. There are like 5 of them out there (IMAX, Dolby Vision, HDR, HDR Plus, and HLG). I think it's ridiculous. :eek:

I know you love Yamaha now, but given a choice between spending $899 on a SR6013 or $1200 on a 2080?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know you love Yamaha now, but given a choice between spending $899 on a SR6013 or $1200 on a 2080?
For now (don't know about the future)- yes, I would choose the Yamaha.

But I can see why others (who have not had the same experience I've had) would easily choose the Marantz for the better sale price.

That sale price of the Marantz is less than the dealer cost of the A2080. Yet, even as a dealer, I would still choose the Yamaha as of TODAY.

Everything is based on our own life experiences. And we've all experienced different things in life.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For now (don't know about the future)- yes, I would choose the Yamaha.

But I can see why others (who have not had the same experience I've had) would easily choose the Marantz for the better sale price.

That sale price of the Marantz is less than the dealer cost of the A2080. Yet, even as a dealer, I would still choose the Yamaha as of TODAY.

Everything is based on our own life experiences. And we've all experienced different things in life.
Sure. It wasn't really a challenge. I was just curious what your take would be. You've been beating the Yamaha drum pretty hard lately.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

I don’t need the IMAX enhanced feature, just wasn’t sure exactly what it was

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sure. It wasn't really a challenge. I was just curious what your take would be. You've been beating the Yamaha drum pretty hard lately.
Probably less than I was beating the Denon/Marantz drum the past 13 years on AH. :D

Now if it turns out in the future that my Yamaha customer service EXPERIENCE went from awesome to bad and their reliability and everything else also went bad in the future, I guarantee you that my Yamaha drum would stop beating in a heartbeat!

Bottom line - I buy what's best for me. As a dealer, I get pretty good prices. So it's not about prices for me. It's about what's best for me now today and hopefully for years to come.

As a dealer, I make the same amount whether it's Denon, Marantz or Yamaha. But if anyone asks, I recommend what I would get for myself and my family based on my experience.

I was beating the GE Appliances pretty hard too. Not anymore. Let's see how long my new Samsung Range lasts. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The 2080 is nice too bad it cannot do 7.1.4.
First of all, you need a screen Avatar like the rest of us, man! :D

Not saying you need a NEW Avatar every few months like @Gmoney. But at least one avatar!

Second, yeah, Yamaha doesn't play the "numbers" or the "sales" game as well as Denon/Marantz. Pretty soon the Denon X4600 can probably process 13 or more channels and the replacement for the Yamaha RX-A3080 will still be at 11 channels. Probably same for the Yamaha CX-A5300/5400, etc.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
@PENG No worries - I got you!
1583165891974.png

I don't think this one has been used:
1583165947010.png

Kidding! This one is fancy:
1583166004282.png

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
First of all, you need a screen Avatar like the rest of us, man! :D

Not saying you need a NEW Avatar every few months like @Gmoney. But at least one avatar!

Second, yeah, Yamaha doesn't play the "numbers" or the "sales" game as well as Denon/Marantz. Pretty soon the Denon X4600 can probably process 13 or more channels and the replacement for the Yamaha RX-A3080 will still be at 11 channels. Probably same for the Yamaha CX-A5300/5400, etc.
ADTG, the Avatar I really want to use I can’t, MOD would make me take it down.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably less than I was beating the Denon/Marantz drum the past 13 years on AH. :D

Now if it turns out in the future that my Yamaha customer service EXPERIENCE went from awesome to bad and their reliability and everything else also went bad in the future, I guarantee you that my Yamaha drum would stop beating in a heartbeat!

Bottom line - I buy what's best for me. As a dealer, I get pretty good prices. So it's not about prices for me. It's about what's best for me now today and hopefully for years to come.

As a dealer, I make the same amount whether it's Denon, Marantz or Yamaha. But if anyone asks, I recommend what I would get for myself and my family based on my experience.

I was beating the GE Appliances pretty hard too. Not anymore. Let's see how long my new Samsung Range lasts. :D
Is that a Samsung Harman range with built in speakers? :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis