R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Currently I have a Marantz SR6011, (Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company) and they share a lot of the same tech, room EQ and internals. Very similar, if not identical power supplies can be found in both. If anything the 4500 might be a half step up from my 6011. I've owned 4 or 5 Denons (still have 1 of 'em) tho. This is my first Marantz, but it feels just like my Denons. Even the menus and how they're organized are the same.
Yes I did get a mic

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With 3 subs and one of them being at the rear of the room? I'd say it matters more than the typical 2 up front most folks have.
Yeah I guess it would matter more for Audyssey setup with the delay/timing.

Probably doesn't matter much for MANUAL EQ.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Best price I’ve seen for a new 4500 is 1500, I believe 400 less on a refurb

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Anyone’s thoughts on the 3600? Watched a video gene did where he spoke pretty highly of it for the money. Anyone bought from a4l?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone’s thoughts on the 3600? Watched a video gene did where he spoke pretty highly of it for the money. Anyone bought from a4l?
Man, I thought the 4500 was going for $899 for some reason... I did find one for under a thousand tho.

The 3600 is also a very good receiver. A few less bells n whistles than the 4500 but a model year newer and still has all the features I think you'd need. Also, I just stumbled across a great deal for this Marantz SR6013 for $899. I have the 6011 (same model, older production year) and have no intentions of replacing it anytime soon. Great receiver, same features as the 3600 with (I think) a little bit more power.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Man, I thought the 4500 was going for $899 for some reason... I did find one for under a thousand tho.

The 3600 is also a very good receiver. A few less bells n whistles than the 4500 but a model year newer and still has all the features I think you'd need. Also, I just stumbled across a great deal for this Marantz SR6013 for $899. I have the 6011 (same model, older production year) and have no intentions of replacing it anytime soon. Great receiver, same features as the 3600 with (I think) a little bit more power.
The 3600 is going for 899 new at A4L. You ever bought from A4L?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have several times, good outfit to deal with IMO/IME, as long as you understand the terms of sale and return policy etc, particularly for refurbs. I did buy my 4520 new from A4L but after two bad refurbs they were fine on returns with....the $100 savings after two wasn't worth a third chance...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have, and haven't had any issues. In fact that's where I got my SR6011, lol. It's a refurb but was on special and came with a free 3 yr warranty. Showed up looking and smelling brand new with the usual (good packaging, manual, etc.). I have no problem recommending them.

However, the SR6013 I linked is brand new and Marantz (owned by the same company as Denon) is usually considered the higher end version of the 2, tho they share a lot of the same tech, internals and power supplies. Some models look almost identical inside. Even the menus look and are ordered the same. I'd get the SR6013.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Would you say it’s better than the Yamaha? Again I have no experience with denon so I have no idea if build quality is similar or performance. Also I’ve read that denons run hot
Performance wise the X4500H will have slight upper hand, although if adding power amp.. And the automatic YPAO setup doesn´t do much of any subwoofer eq correction. Manual PEQ for sub reaches around 31hz still? To be able to get down to 15,6hz you had to use better microfone with REW cause the YPAO mic has some limitation. :rolleyes: Let´s hope the new sexy 2020 Yamahas will come with improved YPAO as many people are not happy spending big bucks for the machine and end up with boomy bass, where as XT32 with Denon is much better.

Audioholics measured A860 and X3300W, Denon was ahead (better behaving with 4ohm loads, preamp out measured better etc). X4500H/SR701X bumps the power output slightly at 8ohm, but also for 4ohm load from 2ch 140w 0,1% THD to around ~200w, so i think this is very much sweet spot for many. Also if you read the article you notice how Yamaha has done some compromises to get the features in. The powersupply was smaller than 2006 released RX-V659 plus the caps were lower rated aswell. So 900$ machine had poorer internals than old 400$ one. The better quality with Yamaha starts with 1000 serie upwards, ideally 2000-3000 serie should be looked as they bump the poweroutput quite noticeably, better DACs etc. You need A3070/80 if 7.2.4 is the aim.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Performance wise the X4500H will have slight upper hand, although if adding power amp.. And the automatic YPAO setup doesn´t do much of any subwoofer eq correction. Manual PEQ for sub reaches around 31hz still? To be able to get down to 15,6hz you had to use better microfone with REW cause the YPAO mic has some limitation. :rolleyes: Let´s hope the new sexy 2020 Yamahas will come with improved YPAO as many people are not happy spending big bucks for the machine and end up with boomy bass, where as XT32 with Denon is much better.

Audioholics measured A860 and X3300W, Denon was ahead (better behaving with 4ohm loads, preamp out measured better etc). X4500H/SR701X bumps the power output slightly at 8ohm, but also for 4ohm load from 2ch 140w 0,1% THD to around ~200w, so i think this is very much sweet spot for many. Also if you read the article you notice how Yamaha has done some compromises to get the features in. The powersupply was smaller than 2006 released RX-V659 plus the caps were lower rated aswell. So 900$ machine had poorer internals than old 400$ one. The better quality with Yamaha starts with 1000 serie upwards, ideally 2000-3000 serie should be looked as they bump the poweroutput quite noticeably, better DACs etc. You need A3070/80 if 7.2.4 is the aim.
Thx for the info. I see the 2080 is same price as the 4500, idk if Yamaha ever has good sale prices at some point. Out of those two which would be better? I’m not sure either if the 2080 can independently set each sub distance

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I have, and haven't had any issues. In fact that's where I got my SR6011, lol. It's a refurb but was on special and came with a free 3 yr warranty. Showed up looking and smelling brand new with the usual (good packaging, manual, etc.). I have no problem recommending them.

However, the SR6013 I linked is brand new and Marantz (owned by the same company as Denon) is usually considered the higher end version of the 2, tho they share a lot of the same tech, internals and power supplies. Some models look almost identical inside. Even the menus look and are ordered the same. I'd get the SR6013.
I didn’t see the link but I’ll check the 6013 out. Does your 6011 independently set each of your sub distances or you just using minidsp for that?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I have several times, good outfit to deal with IMO/IME, as long as you understand the terms of sale and return policy etc, particularly for refurbs. I did buy my 4520 new from A4L but after two bad refurbs they were fine on returns with....the $100 savings after two wasn't worth a third chance...
Good to know about A4L, I’ve never dealt with them so was hoping someone on here has

E

EBN

Audioholic
Thx for the info. I see the 2080 is same price as the 4500, idk if Yamaha ever has good sale prices at some point. Out of those two which would be better? I’m not sure either if the 2080 can independently set each sub distance
You need A3070 / A3080 for 7.2.4 as the A2080 doesn´t have 11.2 processing. The `80 adds the barely useless surround AI feature, XLR etc. so if one can still find the A3070 and doesn´t need any of the new few extra feature, then pick the cheaper one.

If the A3070/80 is out of your budget, then the decision is easy. :) Otherwise tough call and it might come down to Audussey vs YPAO as it often does for many in the forums.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes up to 2 subs Independent distance. I have the older 2060.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
2080 is 5.1.4 or 7.1.2. You need the 3000 series for 7.1.4.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis