New 8K Denon Receiver not Working With Older 4K Setup

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
I have a Home Theater consisting of a Denon AVR-X6400H receiver. The inputs to the receiver at FIOS cable box, Apple 4k TV (streaming device), and a Oppo Blu-Ray player. The Denon receiver outputs to a 8K Samsung 82” 8K 900RB TV. The speaker arrangement is 7.2.2 with speaker on the floor and in the ceiling. Everything is wonderful until I upgraded the Denon 4k receiver to the new AVR-X6700H 8K Denon receiver. The setup went fine, but when the system is turned off for a hour or longer, their is a problem with turning the system on. What happens is the TV shows a blue screen telling me to power on the input device. After many discussions with Denon and Samsung, the problem is with the Samsung TV. In fact if you check the FAQ’s it shows a similar problem in 2018. What is happening the EDID HDMI handshake is not happening between the Denon and Samsung TV. I have all new Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI cables on everything (rated at 48 Gs). The problem was finally resolved by a firmware upgrade by Samsung. And that why the legacy Denon AVR-X6400H works. Samsung is no longer interested in supporting avatar receiver based system unless audio is feed back to the receiver via the arc port. Problem with this is the TV only supports 5.1 speaker arrangement and non of the new sound formats. I have been arguing with Samsung that a true home theater is not designed to work in this manner. After more then 2 dozen chats and phone calls I have not been able to get anywhere. I tried emailing the CEO of the company, but email addresses are not where to be found. Any idea’s how to make the system work with the new crop of receivers by Denon and Marantz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you can, return the 6700 and keep using the 6400 until you get a new tv. Unless there are some features you absolutely need (or have a 8k tv) the 6700 has that the 6400 doesn't then it's really not much of an upgrade. It's more of a lateral move. An expensive one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know from the experience of friends, you absolutely never ever buy a Samsung TV. They are just awful junk. You will have to ditch that TV.

I am absolutely certain there is no merit in an 8K TV. 4K is as high as you need to go. Not only that there is precious little difference between 2K and 4K, if any. To be honest I would not really know which of the two I was watching.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe Denon/Marantz will come up with a firmware to make their new 8K AVRs compatible with the major brands - Samsung, LG, Sony.

But in the meantime I agree with returning the X6700 and using the X6400 until there is a fix.

Yamaha is supposed to test HDMI compatibility with all major brands. Maybe their new 8K AVRs will be compatibility with the 8K Samsung, LG, and Sony.

I definitely don’t think a high-end 8K Samsung TV is junk. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Maybe Denon/Marantz will come up with a firmware to make their new 8K AVRs compatible with the major brands - Samsung, LG, Sony.

But in the meantime I agree with returning the X6700 and using the X6400 until there is a fix.

Yamaha is supposed to test HDMI compatibility with all major brands. Maybe their new 8K AVRs will be compatibility with the 8K Samsung, LG, and Sony.

I definitely don’t think a high-end 8K Samsung TV is junk. :D
Dollars to donuts the OP's problem is down to Samsung and not Marantz.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dollars to donuts the OP's problem is down to Samsung and not Marantz.
Why? Is HDMI a Samsung propriety feature?

Did Samsung invent HDMI and so they are responsible?

Have you tested to make sure that the 8K Sony TV won’t have any issue with the 8K X6700?

It takes 2 to tango or “handshake”.

But this expensive 8K Samsung TV is junk because there is an 8K-HDMI handshake issue between the X6700 and the Samsung?

There is a good reason why Yamaha extensively tests for HDMI COMPATIBILITY with major brands of AVR.

Denon/Marantz should do the same.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Why? Is HDMI a Samsung propriety feature?

Did Samsung invent HDMI and so they are responsible?

Have you tested to make sure that the 8K Sony TV won’t have any issue with the 8K X6700?

It takes 2 to tango or “handshake”.

But this expensive 8K Samsung TV is junk because there is an 8K-HDMI handshake issue between the X6700 and the Samsung?

There is a good reason why Yamaha extensively tests for HDMI COMPATIBILITY with major brands of AVR.

Denon/Marantz should do the same.
This is the issue. Samsung don't care if their TVs work in an AV system. Look at what the OP said.

[Samsung is no longer interested in supporting avatar receiver based system unless audio is feed back to the receiver via the arc port. Problem with this is the TV only supports 5.1 speaker arrangement and non of the new sound formats. I have been arguing with Samsung that a true home theater is not designed to work in this manner. After more then 2 dozen chats and phone calls I have not been able to get anywhere.]

Samsung plasma TVs left a really "bad taste in the mouth" with bad panels that would fail repeatedly and bad power supplies. I do not recommend Samsung TVs

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think OP tapped out as soon as he read "you should return it"... lol.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I have posted multiple times, Samsung HD displays are not HDMI/HDCP certified...
Instead of submitting their products they attempt to self-certify in-house... :rolleyes:
Their HD displays work fine when an HDMI/HDCP source is connected directly but when going through an AVR that has an HDMI/HDCP repeater processor they have multiple issues....
Talk to an experienced CEDIA AV installer and most will stay far away from Samsung HD displays.. My recommendations is to send back the Samsung HD display..
In our AV install biz we stopped recommending/installing Samsung HD displays many years ago..

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is the issue. Samsung don't care if their TVs work in an AV system. Look at what the OP said.

[Samsung is no longer interested in supporting avatar receiver based system unless audio is feed back to the receiver via the arc port. Problem with this is the TV only supports 5.1 speaker arrangement and non of the new sound formats. I have been arguing with Samsung that a true home theater is not designed to work in this manner. After more then 2 dozen chats and phone calls I have not been able to get anywhere.]

Samsung plasma TVs left a really "bad taste in the mouth" with bad panels that would fail repeatedly and bad power supplies. I do not recommend Samsung TVs
I’ve never owned a Samsung TV, but just playing devils advocate. :D

Every TV in my house is a 4K SONY. And every projector in my house is a 4K JVC. :cool:

D

DBA16S

Audiophyte
I have a 2014 55" Samsung 4k TV (one of the first ones) and a Denon AVR 1912. When I added a Pioneer UDP-LX500 BR/SACD connect directly to TV for video and to AVR for audio (double HDMI as this AVR has not 4k pass-through) all communications among the three equipment (ARC) went crazy. Finally, I had to disconnect Pioneer HDMI control as TV blocked it...Samsung does not update firmware for their products (even mine that it was a top of level in the range) after a couple of years. Next TV will not be Samsung (nor LG, by the way).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 2014 55" Samsung 4k TV (one of the first ones) and a Denon AVR 1912. When I added a Pioneer UDP-LX500 BR/SACD connect directly to TV for video and to AVR for audio (double HDMI as this AVR has not 4k pass-through) all communications among the three equipment (ARC) went crazy. Finally, I had to disconnect Pioneer HDMI control as TV blocked it...Samsung does not update firmware for their products (even mine that it was a top of level in the range) after a couple of years. Next TV will not be Samsung (nor LG, by the way).
What's next? Sony TV? :D

D

DBA16S

Audiophyte
Well. My experience with Samsung, both TVs and Cell phones is that after a short while, Samsung stops updating software. E.g. when the main operators in my country gave the possibility of using an app instead of an external decoder for watching their channels, Samsung did not support TVs that had only 3-4 years (I do not think that a 3.500 $ TV is an obsolete device after 3-4 years, isn't it?)

In the case of LG, I have had problems with screen defects after a while (areas of screen with shades...). In fact, recently I substituted an LG by a new SONY...Let’s see…

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis