New 12" SVS ISD driver

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Naturally, the quickest way to get the latest hardware is with and order for these new subwoofers and speaker packages, now shipping daily. But, "upgraders", the guys and gals that simply want the latest hardware? Of course we'll not leave you in the cold. Bolt-in NSD performance will be yours, should you choose. Once full production is achieved next month, we'll enable pre-order links so you can get your NSD too. We've long supported efforts to keep your SVS products current with what's rolling off the line today, and the NSD will join such Genuine SVS Parts, (but still available only to genuine owners).
Now they're starting to sound like Harley-Davidson®:p Nothing like exclusiveness and "genuinity" to make your product more appealing. How about we start S.O.G.® The SVS Owners Group. Then we could start outlaw subwoofer gangs (the kind of people who take the grills off the top of their cylinder subs, or paint their PB subs with metallic paint!).

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
In many ways it looks cheaper then the ISD...

SheepStar

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I posted this on HTS...

Venturing the proposition that SVS is bringing manufacturing back "in house" to cut costs is absurd. The trick is to improve an offering at the same price point. Obviously that's what the SVS goal is...they are confident they hit it...I'm sure objective measurements will verify this. Not only do I admire their product, I admire their strategy. Ron makes bold statments, there's nothing wrong with that if you can back it up.
I'm not suggesting that's what you are saying Sheep, but I've seen it before elsewhere. Bringing manufacturing back in house, in Ohio, makes no sense as a cost cutting measure. There are other reasons and if SVS can make it work, they should be applauded.

G

G-force

Enthusiast
Does anyone know if they have a new pb10 driver in the works, and when it might be available?

V

vaf3

Audioholic Intern
There is also a new plus model driver out... the 12.3. The only specs on it I've read thru were the ones listed on SVS's description. Being a current owner a 12.1 driver I was thinking of upgrading. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not it would make a big difference? I emailed SVS and they said it'll only be 100 bucks to existing owners of 12.1 or 12.2 plus drivers once they build up enough safety stock so it's not that expensive. I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to sub details such as the ones listed on the site hence my asking. I usually rely on all of you for that type of info :rolleyes:

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
New SVS driver.

Sheep said:
In many ways it looks cheaper then the ISD...

SheepStar
What do you mean? It has that cool yellow part that you will never see on the inside of the sub!

By the way, if SVS wanted to cut costs, they would manufacturer the drivers in China like nearly every other speaker manufacture.

I applaud SVS for continuing to manufacture their products in the USA. I am also impressed that they continue to improve all of their products, including the entry level models, because not everyone can afford to spend over $1000 for a decent subwoofer.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jcPanny said:
What do you mean? It has that cool yellow part that you will never see on the inside of the sub!
The spider?

I mean, the basket looks cheaper, and the cone looks like it has less excursion.

jcPanny said:
By the way, if SVS wanted to cut costs, they would manufacturer the drivers in China like nearly every other speaker manufacture.
Velodyne doesn't.

jcPanny said:
I applaud SVS for continuing to manufacture their products in the USA. I am also impressed that they continue to improve all of their products, including the entry level models, because not everyone can afford to spend over $1000 for a decent subwoofer.
They can get the same performance and reduced costs by making their prodcuts in bulk in china.

SheepStar

C

cyberbri

Banned
The new NSD is supposed to be "on par" with the previous version of the Plus driver, the 12.2. The Plus driver was also recently upgraded to the 12.3:

J

jwp975

Enthusiast
[

They can get the same performance and reduced costs by making their prodcuts in bulk in china.

SheepStar[/QUOTE]

Matter of fact lets just send all our jobs to China. That way all of us Americans can be door greeters at Walmart.

Thanks bro!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja

SheepStar

jwp: Matter of fact lets just send all our jobs to China. That way all of us Americans can be door greeters at Walmart.

Thanks bro!
He's Canadian. He doesn't care. SVS sends the Cannucks cash for some of the amps they utilize.

Sheep: The spider?

I mean, the basket looks cheaper, and the cone looks like it has less excursion.
The stamped baskets are definitely a bit less rugged. But you have to admit, the magnet structure on both the NSD and Plus resemble the Bully driver.

The inner cone has nothing to do with excursion. The surround and spider dictate Xmax. That's one heck of a surround if you ask me. It's about identical to the new Plus driver.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jwp975 said:
Sheep said:

SheepStar
Matter of fact lets just send all our jobs to China. That way all of us Americans can be door greeters at Walmart.

Thanks bro!
Wow, talk about taken out of context. :rolleyes:

SheepStar

T

Tom Vodhanel

Manufacturer
Hi all,

Xsus (suspension travel) will be largely determined by the surround and spider. Xmax(linear cone travel) will be determined by the "motor"(voice coil, t yoke, back plate, top plate, ect) Xsus is how far a driver cones moves...Xmax is how far it moves while maintaining a relatively linear stroke. So you will usually have drivers with more xsus than xmax. The NSD has a little more xsus and about 30% more xmax(compared to the isd).

I agree the basket isn't going to win any beauty contests...but it functions perfectly for the application. And going with a "bare bones" frame here allowed us to spend more on the "motor". This is our "entry" level driver...and it has >20mm of clean stroke(xmax) each way now..:)

Tom V.
SVS

annunaki

annunaki

Tom,

That (20mm one way linear) is impressive! Especially for the entry level driver!!!!

J

jwp975

Enthusiast
Sheep said:
Wow, talk about taken out of context. :rolleyes:

SheepStar
Not really but hey look I don't want this thread to deviate from its original topic. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the talk of American jobs are produced on a different soil.

I

ironmike86

Audioholic Intern
jwp975 said:
[

SheepStar

Thanks bro![/QUOTE]
I went with SVS because the were made in North America/USA comparing other speakers that were equal or any other item if theres a choice between China or North America as long as the product is equal or better which usually is the case JMO

M

MUCHO

Audioholic Intern
vaf3 said:
There is also a new plus model driver out... the 12.3. The only specs on it I've read thru were the ones listed on SVS's description. Being a current owner a 12.1 driver I was thinking of upgrading. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not it would make a big difference? I emailed SVS and they said it'll only be 100 bucks to existing owners of 12.1 or 12.2 plus drivers once they build up enough safety stock so it's not that expensive. I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to sub details such as the ones listed on the site hence my asking. I usually rely on all of you for that type of info :rolleyes:
Based on what I have read - the main difference is seen with music, not HT (explosions). Although I'm 80/20 HT/music I'm going to get it.

From what I have read the 12.1 driver has a bigger maximum output albeit with distortion that most people can't hear anyways but when it comes to clean output the 12.2 puts out 2-3 more dB which is a lot. The 12.3 is supposed to top the 12.2 by about 1 dB in clean output.

Worth it? You decide.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I went with SVS because the were made in North America/USA comparing other speakers that were equal or any other item if theres a choice between China or North America as long as the product is equal or better which usually is the case JMO
Wow, so JUST because they are made in china, you won't buy it? ROFL!

BTW, you have no idea how much stuff you own is made in China.

Have fun paying for all that home cookin'

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jwp975 said:
Not really but hey look I don't want this thread to deviate from its original topic. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the talk of American jobs are produced on a different soil.
American jobs? ROFL. A job is a job, and the best man should get it, not the most American.

SheepStar

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
American jobs? ROFL. A job is a job, and the best man should get it, not the most American.

SheepStar
It would best to stop now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis