Never Have I Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A few days ago I go into my local Fifth Third bank to deposit money into my Philippine Sister's checking account. Most of the time she prefers me to just give her the candy bar money that I have collected. However, this time my Philippine Sister asked me to just deposit it b/c she had her Verizon bill coming due. Keep in mind that I have deposited money into her checking account many times over the years all w/o a hitch.

So, I walk in to the bank and explain to the teller that I was depositing said money. Only to be told unless I have the last 4 #'s of my Philippine Sister's checking account # or her last 4 of her SS# that I could not deposit money into her account. Now granted my Philippine Sister and I have known each other for over a decade but that does NOT mean I know her SS#. How on earth would I know her bank account #? As such, I was not able to deposit money into her account. She was charged $38 b/c her Verizon payment bounced.

Never have I ever been to a bank that did not want my money. I was not withdrawing funds from her account nor was I depositing a large sum of money. For heaven's sake what is the BIG deal? :eek::eek::eek: I was NOT asking for a balance or anything regarding her account. Just depositing less than $200. Geez!!!!!!!!

Just yesterday I go into my local Target to place an order for a new computer desk. Here is the one that I wanted to order:

https://www.target.com/p/cyrus-workstation-cherry-z-line/-/A-15914817

When I approached the counter a young very pregnant female was very busy talking to her coworkers instead of taking care of customers in line. However, I over-looked that given that she was pregnant. Finally she asked if she could help me. I told her that I wanted to order the desk linked above b/c it is not an item that can be purchased in store. She looked it up and finally found it after like 15 minutes!!!!!

The idea was for me to order this desk and have it shipped to the specific Target location that I was placing the order with. The young lady said that the desk could NOT be shipped to the store. I inquired why and never really got an answer? Really?? She then told me I could have it shipped to my home. That is where the problem is. I will NOT order large items like that b/c I would be very lucky to even get them.

Both UPS/FED EX is always taking my packages to the apartment complex across from where I live. Neither seems to get it right. Even when they do, they are good about just putting my packages in front of my door and not letting me know that they did. Have had packages missing just b/c of that very reason. So, I then asked the young lady if there was a way to get around that? Once again I was told no. As such, I guess Target did not want my money either. ;););)

So what did I do you ask? Well, I drove across the expressway and went into Staples. Customer service there looked the Cyrus desk up and told me it was $199! I showed them the price Target had and they matched it. I pick it up in a few days!!!!!! :):):) Just don't understand to what has happened to good old fashioned customer service. It does NOT exist anymore. What a day.

Cheers,

Phil

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry for your experience Phil. People have become lazy, and can’t see past their own little bubbles. People used to take pride in going above and beyond, but now everyone is like, no, I just don’t care about anything unless there’s something in it for me. Thank you social media for making everyone soooooo self important, to the point of disgustingness. People have also become so narcissistic that they can’t even go down the freeway at 80mph without their worthless phones in front of their stupid faces. I spent a fair amount of time on the road and probably 30% or so are looking at their phones. I wanna run em off the road so bad...
Thanks for sharing the vent tube!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry for your experience Phil. People have become lazy, and can’t see past their own little bubbles. People used to take pride in going above and beyond, but now everyone is like, no, I just don’t care about anything unless there’s something in it for me. Thank you social media for making everyone soooooo self important, to the point of disgustingness. People have also become so narcissistic that they can’t even go down the freeway at 80mph without their worthless phones in front of their stupid faces. I spent a fair amount of time on the road and probably 30% or so are looking at their phones. I wanna run em off the road so bad...
Thanks for sharing the vent tube!
Yeah Bill phones are becoming a real problem for drivers no doubt. I am just trying hard to fathom the notion that Fifth Third did not take my money nor did Target. The pregnant gal even encouraged me to go to a different competitor like Staples to see if I could order my desk there. Obviously Target did not want my money, but Staples sure did. I have been eyeing the Cyrus Workstation for a good while now. Finally got around to ordering me one. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A few days ago I go into my local Fifth Third bank to deposit money into my Philippine Sister's checking account. Most of the time she prefers me to just give her the candy bar money that I have collected. However, this time my Philippine Sister asked me to just deposit it b/c she had her Verizon bill coming due. Keep in mind that I have deposited money into her checking account many times over the years all w/o a hitch.

So, I walk in to the bank and explain to the teller that I was depositing said money. Only to be told unless I have the last 4 #'s of my Philippine Sister's checking account # or her last 4 of her SS# that I could not deposit money into her account. Now granted my Philippine Sister and I have known each other for over a decade but that does NOT mean I know her SS#. How on earth would I know her bank account #? As such, I was not able to deposit money into her account. She was charged $38 b/c her Verizon payment bounced.

Never have I ever been to a bank that did not want my money. I was not withdrawing funds from her account nor was I depositing a large sum of money. For heaven's sake what is the BIG deal? :eek::eek::eek: I was NOT asking for a balance or anything regarding her account. Just depositing less than $200. Geez!!!!!!!!

Just yesterday I go into my local Target to place an order for a new computer desk. Here is the one that I wanted to order:

When I approached the counter a young very pregnant female was very busy talking to her coworkers instead of taking care of customers in line. However, I over-looked that given that she was pregnant. Finally she asked if she could help me. I told her that I wanted to order the desk linked above b/c it is not an item that can be purchased in store. She looked it up and finally found it after like 15 minutes!!!!!

The idea was for me to order this desk and have it shipped to the specific Target location that I was placing the order with. The young lady said that the desk could NOT be shipped to the store. I inquired why and never really got an answer? Really?? She then told me I could have it shipped to my home. That is where the problem is. I will NOT order large items like that b/c I would be very lucky to even get them.

Both UPS/FED EX is always taking my packages to the apartment complex across from where I live. Neither seems to get it right. Even when they do, they are good about just putting my packages in front of my door and not letting me know that they did. Have had packages missing just b/c of that very reason. So, I then asked the young lady if there was a way to get around that? Once again I was told no. As such, I guess Target did not want my money either. ;););)

So what did I do you ask? Well, I drove across the expressway and went into Staples. Customer service there looked the Cyrus desk up and told me it was $199! I showed them the price Target had and they matched it. I pick it up in a few days!!!!!! :):):) Just don't understand to what has happened to good old fashioned customer service. It does NOT exist anymore. What a day.

Cheers,

Phil
It is a sign of the times that it is now difficult to put money into an account. Certainly it is difficult to understand how this could be a problem. However, I have seen some pretty ingenious abuses happen (usually relating to divorces and simply wanting the other party to feel pain or be embarrassed). For example, if someone knew their ex doesn't look at bank statements very closely, they could make the child support payments by depositing them directly in the account while verbally saying they'll never pay. This would cause the parent supposed to receive the payment to take the other to court (eating up time and money that the parent with the kids doesn't have). For the person making the deposits, it doesn't cost them much as the child support payments were required and they are not worried about building a case since all they need is to have their lawyer ask for bank records to prove he made the payments all along.
I know it is a convoluted and petty scenario, but you'd be surprised what people will do to spite an ex.
I suspect a few instances along these lines could cause the banks to be a little wary of deposits that do not involve the account holder.
I had to set up a joint account with my daughter so I could put money into her account while she is away at college. It is effectively her account, but I can do an on-line transfer from my accounts without any glitches. They would not let me make a deposit in my daughter's account even though I have her SSN, account number, and the same freakin' mailing address! So 5/3 is actually being liberal (as compared to WF)!

As far as Target, I suspect the gal you were dealing with is more the problem than Target's policies. I have ordered several items on-line (from my computer at home) for in-store pick-up and it is a pretty easy system. Being pregnant, she likely went FIGMO (military acronym for "F%@#-it, I Got My Orders", whereupon knowing they have been re-assigned, they become worthless for the few days before they leave).

But, in the end, Staples sound like the better place to give your money!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It is a sign of the times that it is now difficult to put money into an account. Certainly it is difficult to understand how this could be a problem. However, I have seen some pretty ingenious abuses happen (usually relating to divorces and simply wanting the other party to feel pain or be embarrassed). For example, if someone knew their ex doesn't look at bank statements very closely, they could make the child support payments by depositing them directly in the account while verbally saying they'll never pay. This would cause the parent supposed to receive the payment to take the other to court (eating up time and money that the parent with the kids doesn't have). For the person making the deposits, it doesn't cost them much as the child support payments were required and they are not worried about building a case since all they need is to have their lawyer ask for bank records to prove he made the payments all along.
I know it is a convoluted and petty scenario, but you'd be surprised what people will do to spite an ex.
I suspect a few instances along these lines could cause the banks to be a little wary of deposits that do not involve the account holder.
I had to set up a joint account with my daughter so I could put money into her account while she is away at college. It is effectively her account, but I can do an on-line transfer from my accounts without any glitches. They would not let me make a deposit in my daughter's account even though I have her SSN, account number, and the same freakin' mailing address! So 5/3 is actually being liberal (as compared to WF)!

As far as Target, I suspect the gal you were dealing with is more the problem than Target's policies. I have ordered several items on-line (from my computer at home) for in-store pick-up and it is a pretty easy system. Being pregnant, she likely went FIGMO (military acronym for "F%@#-it, I Got My Orders", whereupon knowing they have been re-assigned, they become worthless for the few days before they leave).

But, in the end, Staples sound like the better place to give your money!
Very interesting Kurt. We are on the same page. However, I was just depositing a low sum of money. Nothing more nothing less. If I were withdrawing w/o the proper info it would make more sense to me. Or, even if I were depositing a larger sum of money that too would be more understandable. I never asked for any pertinent info whatsoever about my Philippine Sister's account.

On the web page that I linked up above, it clearly says not available in store and no options to ship to the store front. That is why I went to the store and inquired why and to see if there was a way to get around that. As you point out, the pregnant female merely did not have a clue what she was doing. Nor, did she even seem to give a sh*t. That is why Staples got my money and not Target. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Very interesting Kurt. We are on the same page. However, I was just depositing a low sum of money. Nothing more nothing less. If I were withdrawing w/o the proper info it would make more sense to me. Or, even if I were depositing a larger sum of money that too would be more understandable. I never asked for any pertinent info whatsoever about my Philippine Sister's account.

On the web page that I linked up above, it clearly says not available in store and no options to ship to the store front. That is why I went to the store and inquired why and to see if there was a way to get around that. As you point out, the pregnant female merely did not have a clue what she was doing. Nor, did she even seem to give a sh*t. That is why Staples got my money and not Target. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
The bank is worried you are sending money to some terrorist cell in the Phillipines.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The bank is worried you are sending money to some terrorist cell in the Phillipines.
That is a good point. But, less than $200 is not going to get them much. Now, if I was doing that on a very regular basis, then I could understand their concern. Or, even if I were to deposit a rather large sum of money. But, less than $200......LOL!!!! :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
That is a good point. But, less than $200 is not going to get them much. Now, if I was doing that on a very regular basis, then I could understand their concern. Or, even if I were to deposit a rather large sum of money. But, less than $200......LOL!!!! :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil
It's not just your under $200, it's a lot of other persons "under $200"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you are depositing money to an account why on earth wouldn't you have the account number?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you are depositing money to an account why on earth wouldn't you have the account number?
Because every time that I have done so in the past I gave enough info about my Philippine Sister to complete the said deposit. All w/o an issue. Plus, I do not deposit her money most of the time. Instead, I just hand her the cash. Otherwise, if it was done on a more regular basis, then I would have such info. Be rest assured, I will have her account deposit slip for now on. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because every time that I have done so in the past I gave enough info about my Philippine Sister to complete the said deposit. All w/o an issue. Plus, I do not deposit her money most of the time. Instead, I just hand her the cash. Otherwise, if it was done on a more regular basis, then I would have such info. Be rest assured, I will have her account deposit slip for now on. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Phil,
It's just that I'd never even thought of doing it without an account number as I don't want to screw around while I'm at the teller's window (if I even have to go in)...for their sake as well as my own. I've done a lot of banking for myself and my businesses over the years so more a matter of just being efficient up front, going in prepared, etc. Really wouldn't expect the teller to guess at an individual's account details that someone might want to deposit to...don't even like the idea.

ps On any use of the SS number by the financial institutions or any other office of government aside from the SSA bugs me, too. Why our credit can be stolen too easily for one....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil,
It's just that I'd never even thought of doing it without an account number as I don't want to screw around while I'm at the teller's window (if I even have to go in)...for their sake as well as my own. I've done a lot of banking for myself and my businesses over the years so more a matter of just being efficient up front, going in prepared, etc. Really wouldn't expect the teller to guess at an individual's account details that someone might want to deposit to...don't even like the idea.
Very true. Never looked at it like that. It would be very easy to make a mistake given the circumstances. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I always go inside as I never have liked the drive-up window. That is, when it comes to banking.

Cheers,

Phil

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
In my experience, Target the store and target.com are entirely isolated from each other. One will have sales not offered by the other, and more often than not the store will refuse to price match their own website. I don't even bother checking their website any more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Very true. Never looked at it like that. It would be very easy to make a mistake given the circumstances. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I always go inside as I never have liked the drive-up window. That is, when it comes to banking.

Cheers,

Phil
No worries, check my ps I added, too :) I do most of my banking electronically, and did for business as much as possible (but we got paid by check, transfer, draft...rarely credit card). Identifying a correct account could definitely be an issue depending on the bank and personnel involved....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In my experience, Target the store and target.com are entirely isolated from each other. One will have sales not offered by the other, and more often than not the store will refuse to price match their own website. I don't even bother checking their website any more.
I was not aware of that fact. Makes a lot of sense given my experience dealing with them. I prefer another location on the North end of town. But, getting there and dealing w/traffic is problematic. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I feel for you, Phil. I must say in my world this would be just another day. Money simply doesn't open all doors where I come from. Sometimes that's a good thing, I guess. Often people take pride in not bending way down for some loud Russian idiot yelling he could buy you, your store, grandmother and your cat.

As far as the bank goes, even a small amount can tip someones account into a red zone. You can hurt people this way. There's a law here that says that, for example, you have no right to receive some sort of benefit if your monthly income goes over a certain amount. So by giving me even 20$ a month you could make me loose some sort of benefit (war veteran, more than three children etc.). Having someone's last four digits doesn't make this impossible, but it makes it more difficult.

Banks in my part of the world are taking it to extreme; if you have someone's account number in full and you make a deposit, they will NEVER tell you whether you deposited into the right account. Even the smallest mistake in writing down the account number can make your life hell.

Just keep in mind, please, that I'm on your side and don't think this is OK. I just think I know what it's about.

People should also be very careful about the type of the money in circulation at the moment. Abandoning the gold standards wasn't the last of it. A lot of laws changed since and now the money is becoming a private property of the banks. It is their product that, since it doesn't reflect any material counter-value, is not dependent on any real estate owner's decisions or gold owner's decisions. Since the banks are issuing money as a result of a mere political decision, they managed to lobby a great deal of control over how it is being spent and used. Like MS Windows, you never really own your money. You merely rent it. This becomes obvious whenever you're in some sort of trouble with the banks. A hint of suspicion and you're divorced from your money in matter of seconds.

So Scandinavia abandoning cash is not something that warms my heart.

Service industry gets hurt in another way. That is a profit margin game. It's just the fact that less and less can you improve your position by going the extra mile. That was the old way and more expensive. It's a lot cheaper reminding people they're expendable. "Be nice or else..."

When I see a lady expecting a baby and giving that little about her job, I ask myself how far her superiors went? Perhaps they just made her realize that after her maternity leave she's not to expect her job waiting for her and she's is trying to hurt them.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Cheers,

Phil
Most banks will allow a third party to deposit money in an account that's not their own, but a manager needs to be involved.

The bank wasn't "getting" anything from you if the money was going into her account unless they charge a service fee for the transaction.

Could you have gone to a Verizon store and paid the bill?

The pregnant woman/girl probably makes $7.50/hour- this falls under a Homer Simpson quote (paraphrased)- "Just because I hear you doesn't mean I care".

In order for customer service to work, the people who are tasked with providing it need to understand how to do it and their superiors need to train their employees. Because so many have adopted online shopping, the cost of training employees is seen as an option and many big box stores are proving this every day- if you have gone to Home Depot, it's usually a glaring example of where to not ask questions unless someone has to cut something to length, get it from a high shelf or mix it. The floor workers tend to be clueless, but the CS people are usually OK- some are very good.

WRT UPS/FedX and other shippers- if you call and ask for a supervisor, bad delivery habits can change- often, by them replacing the driver.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
People should also be very careful about the type of the money in circulation at the moment. Abandoning the gold standards wasn't the last of it. A lot of laws changed since and now the money is becoming a private property of the banks. It is their product that, since it doesn't reflect any material counter-value, is not dependent on any real estate owner's decisions or gold owner's decisions. Since the banks are issuing money as a result of a mere political decision, they managed to lobby a great deal of control over how it is being spent and used. Like MS Windows, you never really own your money. You merely rent it. This becomes obvious whenever you're in some sort of trouble with the banks. A hint of suspicion and you're divorced from your money in matter of seconds.

So Scandinavia abandoning cash is not something that warms my heart.

Service industry gets hurt in another way. That is a profit margin game. It's just the fact that less and less can you improve your position by going the extra mile. That was the old way and more expensive. It's a lot cheaper reminding people they're expendable. "Be nice or else..."

When I see a lady expecting a baby and giving that little about her job, I ask myself how far her superiors went? Perhaps they just made her realize that her maternity leave she's not to expect her job waiting for her and she's is trying to hurt them.
US dollars are a promise to pay, nothing more. If the US government wants to recoup the money in offshore accounts and pay off a good chunk of the deficit (yeah, right!- let's just call it a 'cash grab', which is all it would be), they could change the currency and create an exchange rate that's in their favor, for a fee and with a time limit AND if the accounting doesn't add up the way the people show, the money that was hidden would be taxed at an exorbitant rate. If people want something for the money being hidden, they'll need to exchange it and once the US government declares the Dollar null and void, no other country would take it in exchange for their currency.

I don't expect this to happen- if it does, it would likely be 'the straw that broke the camel's back' before complete anarchy breaks out. I do suspect that the increase in ex-patriation that started during Obama's last term would increase drastically, though.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Most banks will allow a third party to deposit money in an account that's not their own, but a manager needs to be involved.

The bank wasn't "getting" anything from you if the money was going into her account unless they charge a service fee for the transaction.

Could you have gone to a Verizon store and paid the bill?

The pregnant woman/girl probably makes $7.50/hour- this falls under a Homer Simpson quote (paraphrased)- "Just because I hear you doesn't mean I care".

In order for customer service to work, the people who are tasked with providing it need to understand how to do it and their superiors need to train their employees. Because so many have adopted online shopping, the cost of training employees is seen as an option and many big box stores are proving this every day- if you have gone to Home Depot, it's usually a glaring example of where to not ask questions unless someone has to cut something to length, get it from a high shelf or mix it. The floor workers tend to be clueless, but the CS people are usually OK- some are very good.

WRT UPS/FedX and other shippers- if you call and ask for a supervisor, bad delivery habits can change- often, by them replacing the driver.
It would have done little good to go to Verizon and pay her phone bill. The reason being, it is set up for auto debit resulting in not enough time to stop payment. Not too long ago I did actually go into my local Verizon and pay her bill before she set up auto debit. Come to find out the dumb-a$$ took her money even though it was already paid. I watched the CS Rep pull her account up and he told me what the payment was. As such, I paid it in full.

Only later that day I discovered my other Philippine Sister had already paid it. One thing I really did notice though when I went into the Verizon store-all the employees were playing on their personal phones. So, instead of actually checking to see if the bill had been paid the CS Rep was more interested/distracted by his phone. What a shame!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis