Netflix: The Witcher

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I feel like if this were done by HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, or Starz, it would have been so much better.
It's not really about who's paying for the show, but actual show creators, the people in less glamorous jobs such as editors, scriptwriters, casting directors, and producers. I whole heartily agree that much improvement could be done there.

Netflix did spectacular jobs with many original TV series and so did Amazon. In the same spirit HBO, Showtime had their own share of misfires -
Angry Boys, Ja'mie: Private School Girl, John from Cincinnati just to name a few "crown jewels" from HBO
and from Cinemax:
Roadies,
Happyish,
White Famous, Dice

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I stopped having high expectations for movies and shows once virtue signaling and woked-ness became the norm... lol

I'm gonna say give season 2 a chance. I think your reasoning is sound and you have some legitimate criticisms that I can understand. Particularly the rushed feeling and the confusing timelines. The world building could have used a lot more work too. Despite those flaws I really enjoyed it, but I also understood a lot of stuff that probably had you scratching your head.

This first season is an amalgam of 4 or 5 different short stories that don't really do much more than introduce you to the characters. They're going to start getting into the actual novels now and I'm kind of hoping the dynamic duo from GoT are going to be doing the adaptation. There's no question they dropped the ball when they ran out of source material, but they did great when they had it. Running out of source material won't be an issue with The Witcher, lol.
Oh, I’ll watch S02. There were some good things. So hopefully they’ll do a better job. My expectations are now extremely low for S02, so maybe I’ll like it. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's not really about who's paying for the show, but actual show creators, the people in less glamorous jobs such as editors, scriptwriters, casting directors, and producers. I whole heartily agree that much improvement could be done there.

Netflix did spectacular jobs with many original TV series and so did Amazon. In the same spirit HBO, Showtime had their own share of misfires -
Angry Boys, Ja'mie: Private School Girl, John from Cincinnati just to name a few "crown jewels" from HBO
and from Cinemax:
Roadies,
Happyish,
White Famous, Dice
Any network could have issues. But I just feel that Witcher deserved more than what Netflix provided - better creators and writers. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Netflix did spectacular jobs with many original TV series and so did Amazon.
That's the list I'm interested in seeing. I know it gets mentioned from time to time but my memory is sh!t and I'm getting desperate for something decent. An oldie that Amazon added recently is Romeo is Bleeding in case you haven't seen it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
QUOTE="AcuDefTechGuy, post: 1363118, member: 26997"]
Oh, I’ll watch S02. There were some good things. So hopefully they’ll do a better job. My expectations are now extremely low for S02, so maybe I’ll like it. :D
[/QUOTE]
From what I've read the second season will be linear and less jumping around in the timeline. Also things will heat up as this season is introducing us to the main characters next season gets into the books

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe Netflix produces too many series. So the ratio of bad to good series is a lot higher than with HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc.

There are many awesome Netflix series for sure, but can’t recall them all.

Great:
1. Daredevil
2. Ozark
3. House of Card S01-04, don’t watch S05, pretend it was never made
4. The OA

Crap:
1. Jessica Jones
2. Iron Fist
3. Luke Cage
4. Defenders
5. Hemlock Grove
6. House of Cards S05

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I loved Jessica Jones and the OA really just annoyed the hell out of me with the ending...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe Netflix produces too many series. So the ratio of bad to good series is a lot higher than with HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc.

There are many awesome Netflix series for sure, but can’t recall them all.

Great:
1. Daredevil
2. Ozark
3. House of Card S01-04, don’t watch S05, pretend it was never made
4. The OA

Crap:
1. Jessica Jones
2. Iron Fist
3. Luke Cage
4. Defenders
5. Hemlock Grove
6. House of Cards S05
To add to first like Strange Things, Dark, How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast).
On Amazon:
Good Omens
The Expanse
Bosch
Fleabag
Goliath
Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan
The Boys
I haven't seen it, but The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel said to be good

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Dark Crystal Age of Resistance was an A, everything about it was perfect to me. So I'm wondering why that hasn't been renewed for a second season yet, but The Witcher was renewed before it even came out, and its getting mixed reviews. I'd give it a C- so far.
I loved How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) !

The Dragon Prince, an animated fantasy series on Netflix is really good too. Great characters, story, humor, great pacing and editing!

Roman Empire and Norsemen are great!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To add to first like Strange Things, Dark, How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast).
On Amazon:
Good Omens
The Expanse
Bosch
Fleabag
Goliath
Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan
The Boys
I haven't seen it, but The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel said to be good
From your list, I would take only

1. Bosch
2. Goliath
3. Jack Ryan
4. The Boys
5. Strange Things S01 - I quit S02 because I got bored fast

I guess "The Expanse" is alright, but still not on my list. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would put Jack Ryan a bit lower. 2nd season wasn’t as good as the 1st :)

I haven’t seen Bosch so adding that to my watchlist.

Loved Goliath and The Boys and the first season of Stranger Things.

I also loved Altered Carbon. That’s one that should maybe be on the list. :)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I would put Jack Ryan a bit lower. 2nd season wasn’t as good as the 1st :)

I haven’t seen Bosch so adding that to my watchlist.

Loved Goliath and The Boys and the first season of Stranger Things.

I also loved Altered Carbon. That’s one that should maybe be on the list. :)
Altered Carbon was excellent!

F

felipe

Audioholic
I recently watched S1 of the Witcher. Some call it the “GoT killer”? I personally have never seen GoT so I can’t compare, but I thought the Witcher wasn’t too bad at all. It got progressively better in production quality episode after episode IMO. I believe its worth a watch ;).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What, No one watched "Dark"?
I would have if I shpekenzied. I probably will now (since you mentioned it) as a going to sleep thing with the volume low. Sub titles aren't a total deal breaker but watching the text and the show is sometimes tough. I wish they would tell you up front when it's not in American. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently watched S1 of the Witcher. Some call it the “GoT killer”? I personally have never seen GoT so I can’t compare, but I thought the Witcher wasn’t too bad at all. It got progressively better in production quality episode after episode IMO. I believe its worth a watch ;).
GoT killer is really stretching it, but it does have the potential imo. As all over the place as it was, I liked the first season of The Witcher better than the first season of GoT. GoT didn't really kick it into gear until season 4 or 5 for me. Up until then watching it felt more like a chore. EVERYONE I know kept nudging me to keep going so I did and it eventually lived up to the hype.

Til they ran out of source material and season 8 happened...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis