Netflix: The Witcher

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Noooo! GOT’s The Red Witch had a Devil baby!!
Had a Wall 700ft tall! umm did I Mention lots of naked ladies? Had white walker’s eating baby’s! Had Giant people! :p just picking guys!
Yes, GoT was epic! The first two seasons were kind of slow and the budget lacking (I remember the great "battle" on the beach, supposedly with "thousands" of soldiers and there were, what, maybe 100 or so stand-ins - looked silly). As the series went on it got better and better - "Battle of the Bastards" was incredible cinema, as good as anything I have ever seen on TV!

Season 8 smelt like arse. Sorry.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, GoT was epic! The first two seasons were kind of slow and the budget lacking (I remember the great "battle" on the beach, supposedly with "thousands" of soldiers and there were, what, maybe 100 or so stand-ins - looked silly). As the series went on it got better and better - "Battle of the Bastards" was incredible cinema, as good as anything I have ever seen on TV!

Season 8 smelt like arse. Sorry.
Noooo man!! Season 8 was Awesome!! :D

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Haters gonna hate. Haha. :D

But I did watch the entire S01 of The Witcher.

I had many face palm moments. Like the Dragon scene. OMG. Embarrassing.
Yeah, the dragon scene... Reminded me of this:
1578856849165.png

Except without this guy:
1578856913874.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Haters gonna hate. Haha. :D

But I did watch the entire S01 of The Witcher.

I had many face palm moments. Like the Dragon scene. OMG. Embarrassing.
I can't defend the dragon scene. That looked like something from a CW tv show...

Do not judge this show on the merits of a single dragon tho folks!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I can't defend the dragon scene. That looked like something from a CW tv show...

Do not judge this show on the merits of a single dragon tho folks!
Yeah I want to defend this but yeah the dragon... Just yeah but the rest of the show is great!

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I just started to watch the series last week...so far I like it.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, you probably won't be shocked to learn that I just finished with the first season.
It was very short but pretty satisfying. Much better than I expected. Some sneak peeks shown Henry Cavill as Legolas wannabe. Thank gods he wasn't.
Plenty of online news comparing it to GoT. It isn't and it would be wrong to do so. Besides both being in the high fantasy genre, that is all.
So overall, you LOVED "The Witcher", or just "pretty satisfying" and "better than expected"? :D

First, I knew nothing about this "Witcher" world. Never read anything about it. I just saw the commercials with Henry Cavil and thought it looked super cool. And fantasy is definitely my favorite genre.

I really wanted to love this Witcher series. My expectation was extremely high. Maybe it was way too high and fell off the cliff. :D

Again, I knew absolutely nothing about Witcher. But I felt like Witcher S01 was extremely "rushed" and disorganized (for someone who has no knowledge of Witcher) -- even more rushed than Game of Thrones S08.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
It's just that they needed some exposition and lay of the land, like the beginning of the Lord of the Rings movie or the Dark Crystal Age of Resistance. The Witcher show assumes you've read the books and know the world. I needed 5-10 minutes at the beginning to understand what the heck was going on.
There's so many side conversations talking about stuff that the Witcher did in the past in other locations we haven't seen yet. It's annoying for people that are new to the world.
I'm slowly getting through the show, but it's like watching paint dry at times, then it will be crazy action for a while and then wizard girl Yennifer will do something cool, and then it gets boring again and I give up on the show.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So overall, you LOVED "The Witcher", or just "pretty satisfying" and "better than expected"? :D

First, I knew nothing about this "Witcher" world. Never read anything about it. I just saw the commercials with Henry Cavil and thought it looked super cool. And fantasy is definitely my favorite genre.

I really wanted to love this Witcher series. My expectation was extremely high. Maybe it was way too high and fell off the cliff. :D

Again, I knew absolutely nothing about Witcher. But I felt like Witcher S01 was extremely "rushed" and disorganized (for someone who has no knowledge of Witcher) -- even more rushed than Game of Thrones S08.
I stopped having high expectations for movies and shows once virtue signaling and woked-ness became the norm... lol

I'm gonna say give season 2 a chance. I think your reasoning is sound and you have some legitimate criticisms that I can understand. Particularly the rushed feeling and the confusing timelines. The world building could have used a lot more work too. Despite those flaws I really enjoyed it, but I also understood a lot of stuff that probably had you scratching your head.

This first season is an amalgam of 4 or 5 different short stories that don't really do much more than introduce you to the characters. They're going to start getting into the actual novels now and I'm kind of hoping the dynamic duo from GoT are going to be doing the adaptation. There's no question they dropped the ball when they ran out of source material, but they did great when they had it. Running out of source material won't be an issue with The Witcher, lol.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have to admit I got lost in all the timelines a few episodes into Witcher. I’ll need to start over probably. LOL :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have to admit I got lost in all the timelines a few episodes into Witcher. I’ll need to start over probably. LOL :)
Once I found out about the time line shenanigans it was easy enough to figure out. I was able to get SWMBO to see it as well ... but you have to know about it going in.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Ok, As I've mentioned I spent too much time playing mostly witcher 3 and some 2, I know the lore well as well as most of key stories and relations. That said, I generally have low expectations of modern Hollywood.

With that out of the way, my overall score for the 1st season is 7/10, so closer to pretty satisfying. Definitely weaker at some of finer points. I didn't like in particular some of the castings. Cavill was a spectacular Geralt, Jaskier was dead on point. I wish I could say the same for the rest of the crew. Speaking of Jaskier - showrunners forgot to age him according to an episode time period. This doesn't apply to witcher and witches. They both much longer life spans.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's just that they needed some exposition and lay of the land, like the beginning of the Lord of the Rings movie or the Dark Crystal Age of Resistance. The Witcher show assumes you've read the books and know the world. I needed 5-10 minutes at the beginning to understand what the heck was going on.
There's so many side conversations talking about stuff that the Witcher did in the past in other locations we haven't seen yet. It's annoying for people that are new to the world.
I'm slowly getting through the show, but it's like watching paint dry at times, then it will be crazy action for a while and then wizard girl Yennifer will do something cool, and then it gets boring again and I give up on the show.
Holes, miscasting, inconsistencies, erratic pacing and editing, assuming the audience knows the story already, it just didn’t feel like it was put together well. Not well crafted.

I gave up on the show many times, but because so many people love the show, I just had to finish watching.

I feel like if this were done by HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, or Starz, it would have been so much better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, As I've mentioned I spent too much time playing mostly witcher 3 and some 2, I know the lore well as well as most of key stories and relations. That said, I generally have low expectations of modern Hollywood.

With that out of the way, my overall score for the 1st season is 7/10, so closer to pretty satisfying. Definitely weaker at some of finer points. I didn't like in particular some of the castings. Cavill was a spectacular Geralt, Jaskier was dead on point. I wish I could say the same for the rest of the crew. Speaking of Jaskier - showrunners forgot to age him according to an episode time period. This doesn't apply to witcher and witches. They both much longer life spans.
That’s fair. I give this show a 6.9/10. :D

I guess it’s not too bad, but I had great expectations and S01 was nowhere near great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis