Negatron 2 our final Home Theater/Stereo room build thread

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
A big thanks to Chris on the Klipsch forums for sharing his knowledge, and helping me in building the first 3 channels. Now I am going to try and use the info on the first builds and make a smaller version out of mdf for my surrounds. The smaller ones will be modeled off of the short side of the k402. This will be about the size of a 2' cube. I am also thinking of trying to make a pair of subs to go under the new smaller versions.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Changes are enroute now...
1: 3 Ampcamp amps for the front 3 compression drivers.
2: 2 MiniDSP DDRC88As for crossovers and Dirac for biamping 5 channels plus dirac on 10 channels...plus subs

Front 3 speakers will have the amp camp mono for the compression drivers, and 2 Icepower asx125btl for each speaker cabinet (1 module per woofer driver).

Equipment leaving...Musical Fidelity mx vynl, 2 minidsp 2x4hds, 4 Klipsch rp160ms, Xilica xp4080, and a Dune HD PRO 4K player. I will post up for sale items if I cannot sell locally.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Update: I have come up with a new design for a rack inside of a cabinet. The new design will keep all the equipment concealed, free of dust (I know it will not be 100% free of dust, but it will be considerably better than my current setup), and will provide cooling . The rack shelves are made of 1 1/4" wide steel plate that has been cut, welded, and painted with charcoal grey metallic automotive paint by a body shop. The rack shelves are completed and each of the metal rack shelves will be supported by 7 1 1/4" Parota wood rods. each of the rods has a 1/4' 3" long piece of allthread, attached via threaded inserts on each end of the rods. 1st step for assembly will be to attach each of the 7 rods the topside of the bottom of the cabinet via 7 1/4" allthread and then 7 hockey pucks swill be attached to the bottom of the cabinet. once this is done, I will lay 1 metal shelf on top of the 7 Parota rods, and then lay a 1" thick Parota wood shelf on top of the metal shelf. Next, I will screw the next 7 rods through the metal shelf to the 1st layer of 7 Parota wood rods... then I will keep doing this until all 4 shelves and the top and bottom Parota is completed. Then we will measure the distance from the top of the bottom piece of the cabinet to the bottom of the top piece of the cabinet (for the construction ofslatted panels).. The front and sides will be made of 1 Parota wood frame that has black grill cloth attached to it, and then 1x1 strips of Perota wood will be run vertically with each piece separated by approximately 1". I have not decided if i want the rear to also have slats or just a frame with grill cloth, yet. The cabinet will be a bit over 6' wide x 4' high, by 28" deep. I will also be installing LED lighting facing downward from the top of the cabinet.

The end of the month we will be building a pair of Joseph Crowe subwoofers. The cabinets will be made of plywood and then wrapped with 1" Parota wood. Sometime next moth they subs should be ready for testing, and then the cabinets will be sent to my carpenter to mod with Parota wood.

Then the long awaited MEH wood horns will be started. The first 1 or 2 will be made of MDF stacked layers, and if they come out as expected, I will try 2 or 3 of them out of stacked Parota wood. The MDF versions will be painted to match the charcoal grey shelves. The last part of the the horns will be to try them cabinet less, and if i like them that way they will be complete...if not I will make cabinets out of MDF for the 2 MDF horns and paint them to match the MDF MEH. Then I will look at how the Parota horns look with a mdf cabinet. If the contrast looks nice I will most likely stop there.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Update: I have come up with a new design for a rack inside of a cabinet. The new design will keep all the equipment concealed, free of dust (I know it will not be 100% free of dust, but it will be considerably better than my current setup), and will provide cooling . The rack shelves are made of 1 1/4" wide steel plate that has been cut, welded, and painted with charcoal grey metallic automotive paint by a body shop. The rack shelves are completed and each of the metal rack shelves will be supported by 7 1 1/4" Parota wood rods. each of the rods has a 1/4' 3" long piece of allthread, attached via threaded inserts on each end of the rods. 1st step for assembly will be to attach each of the 7 rods the topside of the bottom of the cabinet via 7 1/4" allthread and then 7 hockey pucks swill be attached to the bottom of the cabinet. once this is done, I will lay 1 metal shelf on top of the 7 Parota rods, and then lay a 1" thick Parota wood shelf on top of the metal shelf. Next, I will screw the next 7 rods through the metal shelf to the 1st layer of 7 Parota wood rods... then I will keep doing this until all 4 shelves and the top and bottom Parota is completed. Then we will measure the distance from the top of the bottom piece of the cabinet to the bottom of the top piece of the cabinet (for the construction ofslatted panels).. The front and sides will be made of 1 Parota wood frame that has black grill cloth attached to it, and then 1x1 strips of Perota wood will be run vertically with each piece separated by approximately 1". I have not decided if i want the rear to also have slats or just a frame with grill cloth, yet. The cabinet will be a bit over 6' wide x 4' high, by 28" deep. I will also be installing LED lighting facing downward from the top of the cabinet.

The end of the month we will be building a pair of Joseph Crowe subwoofers. The cabinets will be made of plywood and then wrapped with 1" Parota wood. Sometime next moth they subs should be ready for testing, and then the cabinets will be sent to my carpenter to mod with Parota wood.

Then the long awaited MEH wood horns will be started. The first 1 or 2 will be made of MDF stacked layers, and if they come out as expected, I will try 2 or 3 of them out of stacked Parota wood. The MDF versions will be painted to match the charcoal grey shelves. The last part of the the horns will be to try them cabinet less, and if i like them that way they will be complete...if not I will make cabinets out of MDF for the 2 MDF horns and paint them to match the MDF MEH. Then I will look at how the Parota horns look with a mdf cabinet. If the contrast looks nice I will most likely stop there.
It really would be great to have pictures of the construction of this room and speakers. It all sounds interesting, but hard to follow without pictures.

This is the thread I made during the construction of my room.

The end result.

I would be really interested in seeing your project with pictures.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
It really would be great to have pictures of the construction of this room and speakers. It all sounds interesting, but hard to follow without pictures.

This is the thread I made during the construction of my room.

The end result.

I would be really interested in seeing your project with pictures.
The house was built already when we bought it. The house is constructed of 1' thick cinder block walls and than covered with stucco, on the inside it is a textured coating of some sort. the floors are all Canterra marble with a few rugs in the listening area. The first floor is 40' long and 19' wide with 10' ceiling for the first 20' and then a 32' Boveda ceiling for the rest of the floor.

Pics are of the room the way it was when we bought the house.
wm_full (2).jpg
wm_full (1).jpg

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
First picture is similar to the cabinet we are building, but 4h' x 6'w x 29"d. The cabinet will also have slotted wood on 3 or 4 sides too with the recessed areas for ventilation and covered inside ith black speaker grill material... 2nd pic is what Parota wood looks like 3rd pic is a pic of1 of 4a completed metal shelf supports...1" Perota wood will be sandwiched on top of the metal shelf and the parota wood round columns. I have no other pics as the wood is still being fabricated, but i should be assembling next week and will post new pics then.
front panel.jpg
Perota wood.jpg
rack painted.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

First picture is similar to the cabinet we are building, but 4h' x 6'w x 29"d. The cabinet will also have slotted wood on 3 or 4 sides too with the recessed areas for ventilation and covered inside ith black speaker grill material... 2nd pic is what Parota wood looks like 3rd pic is a pic of1 of 4a completed metal shelf supports...1" Perota wood will be sandwiched on top of the metal shelf and the parota wood round columns. I have no other pics as the wood is still being fabricated, but i should be assembling next week and will post new pics then.View attachment 60645View attachment 60646View attachment 60647
Thanks! Where did you get that speaker design from?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's a design by a fellow named chrisA on the Klipsch and otherdiy forums. Even by your merciless high standards, I think you would dig 'em. (Flat freq *and* phase response, crossover below the voice discrimination band, point source synergy horn, ridiculous low distortion dynamics, they do a lot of things right.)

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Thanks! Where did you get that speaker design from?
Are you taking about the first picture in the post about the rack? It is a speaker, but it is not designed by ChrisA...now the K402 MEH speakers I currently have and built are designed and tuned by ChrisA. I made them different then others did as I run them vertically and the horn protrudes from the cabinet. .
Here is the ChrisA designed MEH horns I built under the guidance of ChrisA. These are 4' tall and 25" wide.

My new horns will be made from CNC cut, stacked MDF to become a 25" x25" horn that is at least 1" thick, and if it performs like I think it will I will be making 2 or 3 from stacked Parota wood. I am selling the horns to a Klipsch forum guy when I get my all wood horns built and I used ChrisAs specs to make the new smaller ones

MEH.jpg

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It's a design by a fellow named chrisA on the Klipsch and otherdiy forums. Even by your merciless high standards, I think you would dig 'em. (Flat freq *and* phase response, crossover below the voice discrimination band, point source synergy horn, ridiculous low distortion dynamics, they do a lot of things right.)
Thanks for that tip. So, for anyone else confused about the design parameters here. This is the thread in question.
That is going to require a really well balanced bass system to complement all that mid and HF power.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Today I went to the carpenter to see how the first shelf is coming...we set the spot for the large oval for the wiring to go, and also where all the dowel holes will go. The carpenter hopes to have the rack part of the rack/cabinet ready for me to bring home and test assemble. If all goes right he will come to my house and sand, oil, seal and do the final coats. Then he will measure for the doors, and ventilated rear panel. Hopefully in another week I will be assembling in our living room and reorganizing my equipment to the new rack, rerunning all the wiring, and installing lighting.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Update: I have 2 F20 subs temporarily assembled...awaiting my Mesquite hardwood for skinning. Hopefully sometime next week I will have them at home. Next will bet he exterior for the cabinet which will now have a Mesquite wood exterior and a more conventional door look, and then I will work on the first prototype of the wood 24" MEH speaker.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis