Negatron 2 our final Home Theater/Stereo room build thread

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
We just purchased our new house in Mexico, and this will be our new build thread (old one was Ellis Family Go Big or Go Home). Our living room will become our new Home Theater/Stereo (No dedicated room this time). The room is 19' wide with a 30' boveda ceiling, and is approximately 20' from the loft to the windows/doors. The distance from the bar to the windows is 30'. We plan on mounting a projector to the ceiling of the loft floor, and have the screen come down in front of light blocking curtains installed over the windows. The entrances to the wine cellar, and upstairs will be blocked off with sliding barn doors. The walls are about 1' thick clay brick, and the ceiling is also brick with the floors being Cantera black marble. This is def a live room that will be a challenge to tune.

I am starting this setup virtually from scratch, and it will be taking a while to get it back up and running again.

Equipment I have:
Yamaha cxa5100
14 channel DIY amp...to be disassembled, and amps to be either installed inside of biamped speakers or next to them (along with minidsp 2x4 crossovers). Amps will be plugged into Insteon outdoor outlets, and individually turned on and off according to how many channels are required at the time.
JBL surround speakers from my old setup will be used for Atmos/Auro3d channels. Klipsch k402 speaker will be converted to a 2 way Synergy style speaker, and then I will make more to have a 5 channel setup utilizing my old EV DH1A drivers.
195" SeymourAV screen (new frame will have to be made, as I used the old frame to make our new equipment racks the screen will lower down in front of the speakers. I am trying to figure out the sliding rails for each side of the screen, and a way to motorized the screen lowering, and raising from the area between the 2 windows. I am thinking that the rails should go in the front 2 corners for stability.

Project RPM 1.3 Carbon turntable with Sumiko cartridge
OPPO 203
Furman power strips
Monoprice 75' XLR cables for the front 3 channels
Pioneer bluray player for ripping movies to our Unraid NAS
T channel audio rack. I will be modifying the config for the new setup, and making it about 10' wide, but lowering it to counter level.

Either coming or planning on getting: (no particular order)

1: $600 worth of Roxul for sound panels on order
2: 4k projector ?
3: Some sort of slide rails for moving the screen into position, and some sort of motor assembly controlled via Insteon
4: Dirac ?
5: Sub?
6: Bass shakers?

I am sure there will be more additions. Question marks mean brands, and models unknown at this time.

The first shot is a rear one showing the windows which will be the front wall. The screen is 15' wide and will decend down in front of the front 3 channels. We will install room darkening curtains on the whole front wall, as well as the side wall, and all windows that will let light in. I will be making bass traps for the front corners, and installing first reflection panels on the side walls, plus some acoustic panels above the windows, and wherever else we can without too muchobstruction to the dining room. We also will be installing pictures on the walls to help (what little they will, but also to maintain a nice living room look instead of a man cave like I had before...although I will miss that, but we can not do that this time).
The living room will only have the speakers, turntable, projector, and screen visible...all the rest of the equipment will be on the loft above.

The 2nd picture shows the loft above, kitchen, dining room, and living room. I am hoping that treating the room only for the first 15' from the floor will be enough. I will post pics as we progress.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Awesome looking crib. Looking forward to the pictures when you get it sorted out.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Thanks, I am hoping to have it completed by Christmas. Hopefully I will have the rack, and height channels completed by the end of August.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Nice! The 15ft screen sounds awesome!!! I imagine a pair of 15in ported subs from HSU or Rythmik would be sweet in that space. You will want action movies on a 15ft screen to really have nice LFE. :)

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
We had 2 DYS10 subs in our 2 car garage theater with the same 15' wide 2.4 aspect screen, and we loved it. Can't wait to get this one up and running.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
We had 2 DYS10 subs in our 2 car garage theater with the same 25' wide 2.4 aspect screen, and we loved it. Can't wait to get this one up and running.
Wow! 25ft! That’s awesome! :)
Ya bass is like salt, season to taste. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Congratulations on the house looking forward to seeing the the new theater room!

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Thanks, progress is slow due to lack of cash, but it will be progressing every month.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, progress is slow due to lack of cash, but it will be progressing every month.
Oh man can I relate to that bought a house last year and yeah the first priority is not the audio budget although I wish it could be Lol

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
After seeing the thread with the Mequite veneered speakers...I am going to check into having my cabinets made with Mesquite veneer too.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
A little progress in parts accumulation, and plans...

1: I have 3 Nelson Pass ACA amp parts kits on the way for bridged mono for the front 3 K402 Synergy horns when they are built.

2: 2 12' wide by 13'wide black stage curtains have arrived and will be installed to 2 electric curtain rails soon to cover the wall of glass. I still need to save up for 3 more windows to be covered with curtains and electric curtain rails.

3: I am having a custom wood French cleats installed all around the room twice 4' apart for hanging acoustic panels and my height channels.

4: After the first of the year I will be building 4 Klipsch Bass bins, with 18x10 horns, and EV DH1A drivers.

5: I am also making new amp cases for each of the main channels, and the surround channels. The front 3 will be ACA balanced moons for the horns, and B&O 125w bridged moons for the woofers. For The surrounds I will be using the B&O 50w bridged for the horns, and 125w bridged for the Belle bass bin copies.

6: I am running now running fiber optic HDMI cable from the rack to the FP. The cable is longer than I needed but the next size down was too short, and the price was right on a Amazon flash sale.

7: Dune Pro 4k box is on the way for streaming all my movies from my Unraid NAS. This one should be powerful enough to stop stuttering with 4k movies on my Kodi boxes.

8: I will be also ordering when I get the cash 2 MiniDSP 8x8 kits for my crossovers. Eventually I will get a Dirac for tuning too.

Well that is about it for now I will post up some pics after the French cleat and curtains are installed.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
A little progress in parts accumulation, and plans...

1: I have 3 Nelson Pass ACA amp parts kits on the way for bridged mono for the front 3 K402 Synergy horns when they are built.

2: 2 12' wide by 13'wide black stage curtains have arrived and will be installed to 2 electric curtain rails soon to cover the wall of glass. I still need to save up for 3 more windows to be covered with curtains and electric curtain rails.

3: I am having a custom wood French cleats installed all around the room twice 4' apart for hanging acoustic panels and my height channels.

4: After the first of the year I will be building 4 Klipsch Bass bins, with 18x10 horns, and EV DH1A drivers.

5: I am also making new amp cases for each of the main channels, and the surround channels. The front 3 will be ACA balanced moons for the horns, and B&O 125w bridged moons for the woofers. For The surrounds I will be using the B&O 50w bridged for the horns, and 125w bridged for the Belle bass bin copies.

6: I am running now running fiber optic HDMI cable from the rack to the FP. The cable is longer than I needed but the next size down was too short, and the price was right on a Amazon flash sale.

7: Dune Pro 4k box is on the way for streaming all my movies from my Unraid NAS. This one should be powerful enough to stop stuttering with 4k movies on my Kodi boxes.

8: I will be also ordering when I get the cash 2 MiniDSP 8x8 kits for my crossovers. Eventually I will get a Dirac for tuning too.

Well that is about it for now I will post up some pics after the French cleat and curtains are installed.

Man this room is gonna be epic! I can't wait to start seeing some pics

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Oh man can I relate to that bought a house last year and yeah the first priority is not the audio budget although I wish it could be Lol
Matters are even worse since i am retired, and I told my wife just give me xxx amount of dollars for me to spend every month. I should have said more. LOL

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Matters are even worse since i am retired, and I told my wife just give me xxx amount of dollars for me to spend every month. I should have said more. LOL
Hah hah! True that!

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Thanks, I am hoping to have it completed by Christmas. Hopefully I will have the rack, and height channels completed by the end of August.
Looks like that goal will not be happening... maybe 2019 Xmas.
This weekend I will be having some electrical work done, French cleats installed, and the main set of curtains installed. I will then be installing my height channels, and using them as mains (in the height position) until I get the Klipsch Bass bins made. I know it will not be the correct way To run my setup with my heights run as mains, but it should only be for a couple of months until the bass bins are made. Hopefully I will get some cash at Xmas to help me make more progress. I am still working out how to hookup my electric curtains to my CQC HA Software, as I am not sure on which relays, and wiring. I am getting mixed replies on how to do it so I will try the least expensive route first which is just wiring it With my Insteon garage door opener. If that doesnt work then I will try a plug in module, and try that. Last resort will be to purchase another zwave or insteon relay. I know it will work...just need to figure it out.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Update... I just ordered 4 Klipsch rp160m speakers in cherry. These will be used as my front channels until my k402s are ready...once the fronts are ready these will be used as my surrounds, and surround back speakers.For the time being I will use my 4 channel Yamaha Pro amp for powering them until I get the B&O AMP modules installed in their case. Hopefully I will have 7 channels plus 4 Atmos channels by November. Next year will be projector, screen, and new AVP time.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Update... I now have 4 RP150Ms for my Atmos channels, which are currently being used as surrounds , and will also be used for front height channels as soon as I get the brackets, and mod them.
I have been working on a new 8020 rack, and it is complete except for having the shelves stained cherry, and having my old 1 1/2" thick shelves glued together to make the top, and sides. I should be taking the shelves to my carpenter next week for him to do the woodworking.
I also have acquired almost all the parts now for assembling my 10 channel balanced amp. My friend will be machining a new back, and making a new center piece for the front plate early next month. Both the rack, and the amp should be done sometime next month.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis