ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello all,
My gaming experience is somewhat limited to the GOW series, NFS series and not much else. I have played GOW 3 so many times and also 1 and 2 that I have even played them on NUR (no upgrade run) to add more difficulty and a different dimension to the games. This is getting old, but I have no experience with any other series new or old. Could someone direct me to some newer or older games for PS3 that would follow the above mentioned games. Even suggest something that does not resemble GOW or NFS that you find challenging and exciting, I realize that's a broad statement, I'd just like some avenues to pursue that you guys have experience with. Thank you for the time.
Jeff

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If you don't have the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games, get those. If you are down with RPGs of various types check out Demon's Souls, Eternal Sonata, and Valkyria Chronicles. For Action/Adventure check out the Uncharted games. Super Street Fighter IV and Blazblue for fighting games.

I can't comment too much on those games because I never play my consoles. I have several more games that I haven't played yet so I dunno if they're worth recommending or not :/

ahblaza

ahblaza

If you don't have the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games, get those. If you are down with RPGs of various types check out Demon's Souls, Eternal Sonata, and Valkyria Chronicles. For Action/Adventure check out the Uncharted games. Super Street Fighter IV and Blazblue for fighting games.

I can't comment too much on those games because I never play my consoles. I have several more games that I haven't played yet so I dunno if they're worth recommending or not :/
Thank you phillip, never even heard of those games, where am I at, been so closed minded on the GOW and NFS series that I never considered anything else. Thank you again for the informative reply, I will check your suggestions.
Jeff

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Dude, run don't walk to pick up Batman: Arkham Asylum. Best game I've played in a long time. The ONLY bad thing I can say about it is that it wasn't long enough. When I finished it, I was bummed and wanted more. Great story, great graphics, great voice acting. Mark Hammill and Kevin Conroy kick the crap out of Heath Ledger and Christian Bale.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
If you don't have the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games, get those.
I absolutely HATED Ninja Gaiden Sigma. The game was ridiculously hard in some parts. But not hard in a good way, hard in a BS, cheap-shot way. You get hit by bombs and stars from Ninja that aren't even on the screen. Then you finally get to the last boss and he's like the easiest one in the game.

I actually cracked the screen on my old TV cause I threw a pillow at it so hard. I didn't even bother to pick up the second one. :mad:

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The ninja gaiden games have always been hard/challenging/stupidly hard, but I'm pretty sure the sigma games are easier than the ones they're based off of...I'll have to double check though.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Dude, run don't walk to pick up Batman: Arkham Asylum. Best game I've played in a long time. The ONLY bad thing I can say about it is that it wasn't long enough. When I finished it, I was bummed and wanted more. Great story, great graphics, great voice acting. Mark Hammill and Kevin Conroy kick the crap out of Heath Ledger and Christian Bale.
darien, thanks for the heads up, I considered the Ninja series but did not pursue it. I like your suggestion with the Batman: I like story line, great graphics and a lot of action. I will definately get that one. I preordered NFS Hot Pursuit and have not even tried it yet, too occupied with GOW 3, really chalenging with no weapon upgrades and no magic upgrades and no health upgrades on Chaos mode, crazy stuff. Thanks.
Jeff

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I absolutely HATED Ninja Gaiden Sigma. The game was ridiculously hard in some parts. But not hard in a good way, hard in a BS, cheap-shot way. You get hit by bombs and stars from Ninja that aren't even on the screen. Then you finally get to the last boss and he's like the easiest one in the game.
First time I played NGS I felt the same way... just a ridiculously cheap game. I've beat plenty of difficult games, but for that one I actually let my ego go and got dropped down to ninja dog (easy) mode because those stupid exploding shurikens from out of nowhere in the 3rd chapter just ruined my day.

So I beat the game.

For some reason though I immediately came back to it. I was embarrased at the idea that I had to settle for an easy mode complete. That's just brutal. I skipped normal mode this time and went straight to hard mode.

Not gonna lie... I spammed wall attacks much of my way through hard mode but damn did it feel way easier and managable than I remembered my first time through. Adding minions to bosses didn't even make a difference thanks to the art of the wall attack spam :D but i still never felt like I was all that skilled at the game. halfway through I did finally bother to learn some moves (pathetic, i know, but it's tough to practive moves against exploding shurikens thrown at your back!). There was one challenge in hard mode that I was very proud to complete (it involved 100 giant ogres in a colleseum, 3 at at any given time IIRC)

Anyways I finished the game on hard mode and was satisfied with how good I was getting. At this point everything I felt cheap in easy/normal mode was a cinch as long as I used positioning and skill to my advantage.

...so of course I started up very hard mode.

Holy crap the first chapter was total hell! Purple Ninjas in level one, where you have barely any real moves at your disposal? That's beyond cheap!!!!!!!! After I slogged through the earlier stuff and finally got unlocked the important move (i think it was the air juggle? STSSST or STSSSS one of those) in chapter 3 or so I actually made my way through very hard mode with a sense of dominance! That's when I actually started to enjoy the game. On my third damn play through. It WAS very hard, actually, but I was finally skilled enough to deal with it. It was on this difficulty level that I really felt I was enjoying every moment.

And then I got to the UBER CHALLENGE. Holy crap. IIRC it's basically 61 red ninjas in a row (easy with spamming quick charges and the right weapon)... and then 39 of those berserkers.. 3 at a time? I tried it about 50 times. I pretty much never failed to wipe out the weak little red ninja trios but when the berserkers would hit I would feel proud to wipe out even five of them. Finally I QUIT THAT GAME RIGHT THERE!!

I could have finished the last chapter and skipped that challenge. It would have been fun and I could have attempted Master Ninja Mode (All Red Ninjas in the first chapter? Holy crap!)

But that challenge just made me lose faith in myself at a game i for a time thought i was getting really good at. Anyone who's completed that particular fiend challenge has my utmost respect. It requires absolutely perfect execution and timing.

It's really a good game. I genuinely feel that way. As much as I love some action games like God of War and even Devil May Cry, they don't have anywhere near the type of action system depth that Ninja gaiden sigma actually has. NGS is a fighting game at heart disguised as an action game. Once you bother to learn the nuances, like a BlazBlue or a Street Fighter, only then do you really appreciate the design process that went into it. The heart and soul of NGS is its balanced combat system. It's a game that initially feels mediocre but grew on me a LOT. I can't begin to stress just how much fun the game gets once you get a feel for how the combo system works. the STSSST/STSSSS move is beyond useful... it's vital!

With that said I also freaking hate platforming with Ryu. The phrase "**** YOU RYU" has much meaning to me.

Now regarding the easy last boss... I think it was intentional because the "true final boss" right before that last chapter usually drains most usable items.

One of these days I'm going to swallow my pride and finish very hard mode. I'll never be able to beat that fiend challenge... it's for the hardcore.

Anyways I also love the Eternal Sonata recommendation. Not only a consistently difficult game but one that gets funner as you progress through the game. The writing was about on God of War level so I would definitely say it had its flaws in that department but also engaged me. I played the whole thing on Japanese with english subtitles, but I vaguely recall the english dub being difficult to listen to.

I actually like pretty much all of Philip's recommendations. Never played Demon's Souls but I own both Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles and love me. I also love the Uncharted games. and Super Street Fighter IV/Blazblue are just excellent. I never really got into SSFIV for whatever reason but blazblue is exceptionally quick, fluid, complex, and fun. I definitely plan to pick up continuum shift some time. I just wish i didn't suck at fighting games... understanding the various concepts in that game is like quantum physics.. it takes dedication.. and then you go online after a month of training just to learn the ins and outs and get your *** handed to you by some noob! :p

Last edited:
Speculant

Speculant

Audioholic
If you want something totally different, get Heavy Rain, the graphics are amazing and the game is fun, but a different fun than GOW is.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I second the recommendation for Demon Souls. It will kick your a$$ but is still fun. It has a STEEP learning curve but I could not stop playing it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The game I played and enjoyed most this year was without question Red Dead Redemption. Completely fun, good story, stunning graphics, and a never ending supply of things to do or just ride around.

I agree with Matt - both of the Uncharted games should be at the top of your list. Good balance between action and platforming and lots to unlock. Both have been out for a while, so you should be able to pick up both fairly cheap even new.

Oldy but goody: Metal Gear Solid 4. Even if you have never played the others, this game is still absolutely EPIC. This one is a MUST OWN if you ask me.

Heavy Rain is another EXCELLENT game. A very involving story and unique control scheme, whether you use Move or a standard controller.

Castlevania is a lot like NGS - you really have to back track levels and beat the extra challenges to get upgrades just so you can survive the higher levels. Now that I am fairly upgraded, I can handle most anything but it maintains a fairly high level of difficulty. I liked NGS, but after the first playthrough, I got tired of it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haha. Castlevania got a best of the year award: "Best God of War clone" LOL. I have been enjoying it so far; I am about 75% complete.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Mass Effect 2 is now out for the PS3...
Since the OP's original post mentioned how many times he had repeated the same games, this is perfect. Took me over 50 hrs to beat the 1st time and you'll want to do it multiple times just to see how different conversations and choices cause the game to play out.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
It's unfortunate that ME1 is not on the PS3 as well. There is a lot of stuff that happens in the 1st one that transitions into the 2nd one, and depending on your choices different people will appear in the 2nd one. Unfortunately PS3 owners, at least right now, only have the one story line. You let the Rex die, You let the Council Die, You killed the Rachnid Queen, and quite a few others. Hopefully they will get the 1st one over at some point, but at least for now you have the 2nd one.

Mass Effect is an awesome series. I agree with the suggestion for this one as it easily has 40 hrs of playtime for the first playthrough, with all DLC, and you'll want to do more playthroughs trying all the different choices and characters you can.

Enjoy!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It's unfortunate that ME1 is not on the PS3 as well. There is a lot of stuff that happens in the 1st one that transitions into the 2nd one, and depending on your choices different people will appear in the 2nd one. Unfortunately PS3 owners, at least right now, only have the one story line. You let the Rex die, You let the Council Die, You killed the Rachnid Queen, and quite a few others. Hopefully they will get the 1st one over at some point, but at least for now you have the 2nd one.

Mass Effect is an awesome series. I agree with the suggestion for this one as it easily has 40 hrs of playtime for the first playthrough, with all DLC, and you'll want to do more playthroughs trying all the different choices and characters you can.

Enjoy!!
Actually, in the opening sequence of ME2 where they are telling you the story from ME1, they let you make a few decisions that will affect how the game plays and it says that ME2 data will be pulled into ME3 when it comes out so your outcome from ME2 affects ME3 as well. The creators wanted to make sure this functionality was still present in the games on the PS3.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis