Need some streaming reliability

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
It won't stream music files over your home Network.
There are several options for music - Plex, Airplay (via the Airtight app), Vimu player (also great support for local video streaming), Google Music (maybe others). Google TV is a very versatile box, I just wish it was getting better faster!

Edit: I noticed in subsequent post you have a squeezebox. The Vimu player app for Google TV, should you get the Sony that was recommended, can use Logitech Media Server as your content source.

Last edited:
J

jcunwired

Audioholic
I downloaded Plex only to discover that it is web based. That means a bandwidth charge for listening to my music files. I need something accesses my network off the web. I guess my trusty old Squeezebox is still the answer.
My trusty old Squeezebox is always the answer :)

Plexpass is Plex via web, to get access to your content from anywhere. You don't need this if you are only interested in streaming local content. Via HTPC, Roku, Google, smartphone/tablet you need to install Plex application, in addition to Plex Media Server for sharing your library. I only use Plex to stream to mobile devices and the one display with only Roku attached (all local - no internet or remote streaming) and it works quite well. It will transcode source material on the fly if destination hardware can't support the original format. Very nifty.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the feedback. The Roku will be here in a few days. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I did some navigating around my network today and discovered a serious problem. Somehow my router and my satellite modem were on the same logical network. It shouldn't have worked at all. I can only guess the router was acting as a bridge. I reconfigured the IP addresses and put the two devices on separate networks. Doing that resolved several minor glitches I had with the wifi hotspot and my inability to reach the modem configuration routine. I can't help but wonder if the streaming issue I had could have been due to the modem fighting it out with the router to maintain the data stream. I'll stream something tonight and find out. Logic tells me this network conflict could very well have been at the bottom of my streaming problem. We shall see. Computers aways have to be lead by the hand. They never think for themselves. ;) At any rate, the network is running very nicely now so the streaming problem may have been a blessing in disguise.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I did some navigating around my network today and discovered a serious problem. Somehow my router and my satellite modem were on the same logical network. It shouldn't have worked at all. I can only guess the router was acting as a bridge. I reconfigured the IP addresses and put the two devices on separate networks. Doing that resolved several minor glitches I had with the wifi hotspot and my inability to reach the modem configuration routine. I can't help but wonder if the streaming issue I had could have been due to the modem fighting it out with the router to maintain the data stream. I'll stream something tonight and find out. Logic tells me this network conflict could very well have been at the bottom of my streaming problem. We shall see. Computers aways have to be lead by the hand. They never think for themselves. ;) At any rate, the network is running very nicely now so the streaming problem may have been a blessing in disguise.
That is very likely the cause of your problem with streaming to the BD player.

As I said, I have had no trouble streaming to a couple of Wi-Fi Panasonic BD players.

That conflict is a good thing to have discovered.

V

valeriyastoo

Audiophyte
Recording:

Hey,

I can propose something better , also did not want to have to checkout sometime in such streaming sites ... Therefore, since I'll use a software called Tunebite Premium with all the side of the Internet (Youtube, Netflix, Spotify ....) music and video record all you want. Only pay once for the software and then never again. No hidden costs, subscriptions or son stuff. And the coolest is that you can find on the homepage of Audials direct instructions on how you can record from which website.

This is the URL:

How to record and download Netflix Movies

I hope it will run with you :)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Well TLS, it wasn't the problem. I'm still baffled by how the two DHCP sources coexisted on the same network but they did. I had the router setup to capture all the DHCP requests so, perhaps, the modem got buried in terms of IP address and never had a chance to conflict. I watched two episodes of Borgia last night, one on the Panasonic and one on the Samsung. The Panasonic did much better to be sure but still had 3 periods of loading data during the episode. The Samsung was bad enough that I quit about 3/4 of the way through and fell asleep. The Roku should be here soon. Hopefully it will help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well TLS, it wasn't the problem. I'm still baffled by how the two DHCP sources coexisted on the same network but they did. I had the router setup to capture all the DHCP requests so, perhaps, the modem got buried in terms of IP address and never had a chance to conflict. I watched two episodes of Borgia last night, one on the Panasonic and one on the Samsung. The Panasonic did much better to be sure but still had 3 periods of loading data during the episode. The Samsung was bad enough that I quit about 3/4 of the way through and fell asleep. The Roku should be here soon. Hopefully it will help.
It sounds then, that there is still a bottle neck. Since you are rural it might be your Internet provider. In Minnesota, the rural providers are all over the map, in terms of the quality and consistency of service they provide.

Fortunately our provider, is Paul Bunyan communications and they were the first in the nation to have 100% fiber to all customers, no matter their location. I'm in the middle of a State Forrest and have better service here than from Comcast in the Twin Cities.

It will be interesting to see if your Roku box has more buffering, however I doubt it as they are all low CPU capacity Linux boxes, but we will see.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
There would seem to be a lot of possibilities here. All DHCP implementations I'm aware of (which I admit isn't very many in terms of all the ones available) support multiple DHCP servers, though it is still possible to get chaos with some implementations if you try, like manually assigning the same specific, narrow IP address range to two different DHCP servers. Ignoring that case, it might just be that one of the DHCP servers always responds first to a client request, and the when the server offers an IP address the client ignores all other offers. Or it could be dumb luck, in that the two DHCP implementations happen to have different address allocation algorithms that just don't happen to conflict with a small number of devices. Without looking at the particular DHCP code for the servers and the clients it is impossible to know, but even if there were conflicts they wouldn't manifest themselves just as stream interruption problems, the entire connection would probably be dropped and have to be reestablished.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
There would seem to be a lot of possibilities here. All DHCP implementations I'm aware of (which I admit isn't very many in terms of all the ones available) support multiple DHCP servers, though it is still possible to get chaos with some implementations if you try, like manually assigning the same specific, narrow IP address range to two different DHCP servers. Ignoring that case, it might just be that one of the DHCP servers always responds first to a client request, and the when the server offers an IP address the client ignores all other offers. Or it could be dumb luck, in that the two DHCP implementations happen to have different address allocation algorithms that just don't happen to conflict with a small number of devices. Without looking at the particular DHCP code for the servers and the clients it is impossible to know, but even if there were conflicts they wouldn't manifest themselves just as stream interruption problems, the entire connection would probably be dropped and have to be reestablished.
I agree completely. The hardware chain goes from satellite modem to router to switch with the nodes connected to two switches and the WiFi clients, of course, entering the network through the router's access point. Since I told the router to fill all DHCP requests, I'm pretty sure the modem simply didn't get any requests and therefore didn't conflict. Nevertheless they shouldn't be on the same logical network and now they aren't. The network is completely stable so I'm pretty confident with the configuration. I even set up a second physical network on the router so that I can move the network between the satellite and 3G mobile connections. That, too, works like a charm, giving me a backup connection if we get an equipment failure at hughes or heavy cloud cover. Even though my business is in my home, it is still a pretty slick LAN for a residence.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It sounds then, that there is still a bottle neck. Since you are rural it might be your Internet provider. In Minnesota, the rural providers are all over the map, in terms of the quality and consistency of service they provide.

Fortunately our provider, is Paul Bunyan communications and they were the first in the nation to have 100% fiber to all customers, no matter their location. I'm in the middle of a State Forrest and have better service here than from Comcast in the Twin Cities.

It will be interesting to see if your Roku box has more buffering, however I doubt it as they are all low CPU capacity Linux boxes, but we will see.
You're a lucky man. I've tried everything including ordering a T1 line. Our amateur telephone company simply refused to do it. There is broadband internet service just 3 1/2 miles away but it might as well be in a different state since I can't connect to it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You're a lucky man. I've tried everything including ordering a T1 line. Our amateur telephone company simply refused to do it. There is broadband internet service just 3 1/2 miles away but it might as well be in a different state since I can't connect to it.
If your telephone company are rural and using copper, to provide high speed Internet, they are loosing money.

You need too many boosters with copper, every 3.5 miles or so, at $360,000 a station, plus all the maintenance.

I worked closely with Paul Bunyan on this to develop a rural PON. (Passive optical network)

Stations are required only every 12 to 25 miles depending on the number of residencies.

Although the fiber cable is $1.4 per foot and there are thousands of miles in this rural network, it has paid off well. The cable is partitioned for phone, Internet and HD TV. This latter can only be provided with fiber, so opened a new market.

Standard Internet is 13 Mbps up and down and you can pay extra for $25 up and down.

It has kept the coop's cost well in line. In fact it is so efficient, the Feds forced a rate increase, to help subsidize the cost on improving Internet service for areas like yours.

Tell your company to contact Paul Bunyan communications. They are very nice helpful folks and will tell them how to set up a rural PON economically. This was he first one completed in a rural setting in the US and broke new ground. It works like a charm and has had only one failure here since installation.

Laying the cable.

I did my bit, as the cable layer broke down, and I replaced the fuel lines and fuel pump for them. While I was at it I redesigned the cable clamping system to the vibrator blade which made removing and reattaching the cable take seconds, instead of minutes.

Waiting outside the shop for parts to arrive.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Our amateur phone company uses copper but they resolve the issue by not providing broadband internet service. We have a 4G Verizon tower about 6 miles from here that degrades to 3G by the time it reaches my house. And, of course, you can put satellite anywhere. Those are the only options here and I have both of them. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Our amateur phone company uses copper but they resolve the issue by not providing broadband internet service. We have a 4G Verizon tower about 6 miles from here that degrades to 3G by the time it reaches my house. And, of course, you can put satellite anywhere. Those are the only options here and I have both of them. :)
Well I think the Feds are about force them to provide broadband. There is too much concern over the digital divide. Satellite Internet is less than ideal as I think you are finding out.

I really like to be paying a "tax" on my phone bill to help your amateurs get the job done, and they don't! I would really put the pressure on and if necessary get the Feds involved.

Their attitude is unacceptable and they are harming their customers economically. There are far too many phone systems dropping the ball on high speed Internet. There is no excuse. It is in their economic interest to get the up and running, plus there are funds to which I'm forced by the Feds to contribute to, that will help capitalize them for the project.

I would raise all hell with them if I were you.

I would be certain my coop are more profitable per customer served than your amateurs are by completing this project.

I assume if you are rural, you are served by a member coop. If that is so, lobby the board members, go to meetings and try and get elected to the board.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hey,

I can propose something better , also did not want to have to checkout sometime in such streaming sites ... Therefore, since I'll use a software called Tunebite Premium with all the side of the Internet (Youtube, Netflix, Spotify ....) music and video record all you want. Only pay once for the software and then never again. No hidden costs, subscriptions or son stuff. And the coolest is that you can find on the homepage of Audials direct instructions on how you can record from which website.

This is the URL:

How to record and download Netflix Movies

I hope it will run with you :)
Nice troll attempt. Reviews state your conversion software is sluggish, and the video raptor only supports Windows Explorer, which is a lousy streaming browser.

Sounds as if you need one of my sons to write you some decent software.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It isn't a coop, TLS, it is actually a phone company of sorts. It is called Century Link. They provide DSL in some areas, just not mine.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It isn't a coop, TLS, it is actually a phone company of sorts. It is called Century Link. They provide DSL in some areas, just not mine.
They're the third-largest telecom in the US...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's what happens when big business get their meat hooks into you. I bet they are collecting the subsidy for rural service.

I was astonished to find the Feds have a minimum price for Internet service. Our Coop got dinged for the cost being too low, so they added a subsidy payment to our bills.

I would push them hard all the same to give DSL to all their customers no matter where their location.

I guess I am lucky. Excellent friendly service from local people.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis