Need some streaming reliability

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A pleb? JHC, TLS Guy, you really should try to control your emotions. We're talking about a four square inch, $80 device that can be replaced in minutes, and if you're having streaming problems it actually seems to work. Yes, it is more limiting than some web-browser based system, but many of us don't go past Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu, when we're on our HT systems and not a laptop or tablet. I'm sure that's because we have limited intellects and a narrow view of the available content, but being rude to mental weaklings like us is not cool.
I can assure there is a whole world of goodies out there if you look. I don't want corporate clowns making my viewing and listening choices for me. So yes I think Linux boxes like the Sony I mentioned really are the way to go. The ability to stream from a browser is a huge advantage and well worth the extra cost. So that is my recommendation for streaming.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I never browse the web on my 120" screen. I just watch movies on Netflix and Amazon, like most people.

Whatever works well and is less expensive is good. ;)

I browse the web on my iPad4, which is a $600 device for the plebs. :cool:

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
For $600 I can build an I5 computer with a 1TB hard drive, 4GB of memory with a 25" LED monitor and even a blu ray drive. Can't imagine being constrained by an Ipad. :) I smiled. I'm just poking fun. So I have a question about the Sony streamer. Can I put the streaming apps on the start screen just like the BD players do? So far I have only used Netflix and Pandora so I would start with those two on the start screen. Now the big question. Can the Sony streamer stream from a hard drive on my local area network like my Squeezeboxes do? If the answer is yes, I'll order one tomorrow.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

For $600 I can build an I5 computer with a 1TB hard drive, 4GB of memory with a 25" LED monitor and even a blu ray drive. Can't imagine being constrained by an Ipad. :) I smiled. I'm just poking fun. So I have a question about the Sony streamer. Can I put the streaming apps on the start screen just like the BD players do? So far I have only used Netflix and Pandora so I would start with those two on the start screen. Now the big question. Can the Sony streamer stream from a hard drive on my local area network like my Squeezeboxes do? If the answer is yes, I'll order one tomorrow.
Yes, it does go to Netflix, Hulu, VUDU YouTube, NPR and many more. It also has an icon that takes you straight to the Berlin Philharmonic Digital concert Hall without opening a browser.

It has built in Google Chrome and Flash Player. It is very versatile. Basically it is a Barebones Linux HTPC plus, with lot of built in apps to avoid opening a browser. However if I want MetPlayer, I have to get there via Google Chrome. It also has built in Google TV.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Back to the key question. Will it stream music files from hard drive on my network? Or is it incapable of getting off the internet?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Back to the key question. Will it stream music files from hard drive on my network? Or is it incapable of getting off the internet?
It won't stream music files over your home Network.

It works for us fine in Eagan as we have no use for that function there.

This highlights the problem for all these proprietary boxes, some do this and some do that, but only a well designed HTPC will do it all.

We have had a lot of comments on these forums about HTPCs being obsolete because of all these "funny" boxes. I could not disagree more. An HTPC is a vital component of a well designed AV system. My HTPC is my most used peripheral input device now. It has been useful and handy beyond my expectations.

If you want it all I'm convinced an HTPC is the way to go.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
OK, then, thanks for the input guys. I'll order a Roku 2 tomorrow, unstall it in the bedroom system and see if it solves the problem. If it does, I'll order the Sony unit for the family room system. If it doesn't fix the problem, I'll sell it on Ebay and consider myself a country dweller who has to deal with the compromises of living in the country. I'm used to that. Thanks again.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is likely that you can make a google TV device stream from network. It is probably as simple as downloading an application to it, but it might be more complex.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It is likely that you can make a google TV device stream from network. It is probably as simple as downloading an application to it, but it might be more complex.
Maybe. I sure can't find anything relevant. There are some very expensive streamers that do it all. By the way, there is yet another one here and it is half the price of the Sony.

G

Grador

If you're network shares are on a computer and not a NAS, you could run the plex media server and install plex for google TV on the device.

I'm quite bored today so you get a bit of free research into something you're not that interested in.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
No I actually am interested in it. I have the music files copied on to about 4 hard drives on the network as well as on a NAS. I'll check out the Plex server.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I downloaded Plex only to discover that it is web based. That means a bandwidth charge for listening to my music files. I need something accesses my network off the web. I guess my trusty old Squeezebox is still the answer.

G

Grador

Plex should only be web based when you're not on local network? That's in the form of a question as I'm not horribly familiar with plex.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK, then, thanks for the input guys. I'll order a Roku 2 tomorrow, unstall it in the bedroom system and see if it solves the problem. If it does, I'll order the Sony unit for the family room system. If it doesn't fix the problem, I'll sell it on Ebay and consider myself a country dweller who has to deal with the compromises of living in the country. I'm used to that. Thanks again.
Sell it?

Just order it from Amazon and return it if it does not work for you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only reason I bought my Apple TV to watch Netflix is because of the great music streaming capability - I stream lossless music from iPad/iPhone directly to my Denon.

Yeah, most things have limits.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Plex should only be web based when you're not on local network? That's in the form of a question as I'm not horribly familiar with plex.
No, I installed it and tried it. It puts your hard drive in the "cloud." There is a NAS version of the software. I might fuss with that later.

G

Grador

No, I installed it and tried it. It puts your hard drive in the "cloud." There is a NAS version of the software. I might fuss with that later.
Yeah, that sounds like no fun at all then.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
If you order the Roku direct it has a 30-day money back guarantee. Since there's a non-trivial chance that it won't solve your dilemma, I'd recommend that route, even though it is available at a slightly lower price elsewhere. That's what I did, because I wasn't convinced it would solve my problem either, I needed proof.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
If you order the Roku direct it has a 30-day money back guarantee. Since there's a non-trivial chance that it won't solve your dilemma, I'd recommend that route, even though it is available at a slightly lower price elsewhere. That's what I did, because I wasn't convinced it would solve my problem either, I needed proof.
Agreed and done.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Since your connection finally works normally, your local wireless network is fine. If it regularly stops and starts, then you have a local problem.

I agree with others, get a Roku. I have Sony and Panasonic blu-ray players and a Panasonic plasma all of which have Netflix, the Roku outperforms them all. How Roku does this is a mystery, as the box is dirt cheap. Better buffers? I dunno. I also have a HDTV, WD TV Live and Google TV, Roku is faster and with better UI.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis