need recommendation

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
yeah i think im going to audition the ascends.

if the rf 7 iiis offered a pair of bookshelves id just put in my order now since i have a subwoofer. dont really need towers.
now you guys put some new kinks into my thinking talking about midrange now and 3 ways are better etc.
3 ways aren’t always better. Blanket statements like that cause fights btw ;)

If you want solid bookshelves, check out the RP600M. The audiophiles in the industry have all recognized them as the secret that no one has seemed to find. It’s an amazing pair for $550. Has that signature Klipsch sound but still plenty smooth. They’ve ironed out all the kinks in their previous line and really nailed this one. Supposedly. I want to go back and hear them again. Didn’t like them all that much better than the old RP series.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
RAAL makes some magnificent tweeters, but I would only use them in a three-way speaker. The only speaker that Ascend makes that I would want with the RAAL tweeter is the three-way tower Sierra with upgraded RAAL tweeter. Other than that, I would stick with the dome tweeter from Ascend.
Even the Horizon 3-way to match up?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I flew down there only to have Dave be sick on me :eek:

Planning to back this summer. Not flying ;)

You should bring your Phil-3’s down and compare them! That’s something I’d definitely fly down to hear.
Ah... I remember you talking about that... He was still sick?! Bummer. That was a wicked cold, though. Whatever I had knocked me on my @$$, and hard too!

BTW, It'll be easier to bring Sierra Towers here. I'll gladly share if you want! ;) Side by side: Phil 3s, BMRs, and those! :cool:

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Ah... I remember you talking about that... He was still sick?! Bummer. That was a wicked cold, though. Whatever I had knocked me on my @$$, and hard too!

BTW, It'll be easier to bring Sierra Towers here. I'll gladly share if you want! ;) Side by side: Phil 3s, BMRs, and those! :cool:
Sadly yes.

Dunno if Dave will let me borrow a pair of his towers :p Might be worth an ask :)

Although if I remember correctly, there is someone here in North Bay that has or is planning on having the Sierra Towers w/ Raal. Maybe we’ll all get together and have a huge shootout! :)

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
i was just quoted $3195 shipped for klipsch rf 7 iii pair and rc 64 iii center
internet authorized dealer warranty included
damn

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
damn
Call and get your Ascend visit set up. ;) Can you return those Klipsch if you don't like? Could be a fun shoot-out.
Have you actually heard those RF7s?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing wrong with big woofers on a two-way speaker, so long as directivity can still be matched with the tweeter, and the crossover can be achieved low enough to prevent breakup. So you pretty much need a horn. But the results can be excellent.
So on other tweeters are you saying 6.5 or 6in woofers would be ideal?

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
Call and get your Ascend visit set up. ;) Can you return those Klipsch if you don't like? Could be a fun shoot-out.
Have you actually heard those RF7s?
ill ask if i can return but the dealer is in KY

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So on other tweeters are you saying 6.5 or 6in woofers would be ideal?
There is no ideal, there is just whatever fits your performance targets the best. 6" or 6.5" can work well with a wide variety of tweeters, but I would not use RAAL ribbons in a two-way speaker with a 6.5". The RAAL tweeters do not handle lower-treble/upper mids very well. Really good tweeter for its intended bandwidth, however. You could probably use one in a 4.5" two-way, providing that woofer has good high-frequency behavior. I suppose it can work with a 5.25" since Ascend uses that type of configuration. My guess is that it is using a relatively high-order high-pass filter.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
There is no ideal, there is just whatever fits your performance targets the best. 6" or 6.5" can work well with a wide variety of tweeters, but I would not use RAAL ribbons in a two-way speaker with a 6.5". The RAAL tweeters do not handle lower-treble/upper mids very well. Really good tweeter for its intended bandwidth, however. You could probably use one in a 4.5" two-way, providing that woofer has good high-frequency behavior. I suppose it can work with a 5.25" since Ascend uses that type of configuration. My guess is that it is using a relatively high-order high-pass filter.
Ascend even uses it with a 6” :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ok, that one looks like it would work too.
Just foolin around Shady. :cool:
Hey, Off topic, I think I'm getting Labyrinth 2-5. ;) Can't find 1 as a disc. But I really want to hear that all, in all it's multi-channel glory!
Cheers!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
IIRC, Dennis is x'ng his Philharmonitor and mini Phil in the low 3000's: 1 is 3K, and the other 3250. Not too familiar with the specs on that Raal since its not mass market.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oops, I thought the Sierra2 used a 5.25".
The specs on their web say 5.25. For the Tower... The sierra2 has a 6" woof
Edit... oops... multitasking. at least this is where my mistake and attention are suffering. ;) :eek:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
damn
Damn holy sh@$!t that's a smoking deal. Can I have your dealers # if you decline? LOL.

Seriously though just make sure they have a return policy but there's a very very good chance once you hear those beautiful beasts you won't be returning them at all

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Damn holy sh@$!t that's a smoking deal. Can I have your dealers # if you decline? LOL.

Seriously though just make sure they have a return policy but there's a very very good chance once you hear those beautiful beasts you won't be returning them at all
Those Klipsch are the real deal and my end game speaker down the road

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic

Hehe if you want some smoking deals just let me know ;)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Heh I wasn't bashing 2-ways at all, just voicing a concern. With the 1350Hz crossover, Klipsch obviously has that part covered (I think for 10's you don't design higher than 1500). I would love to listen to RF7's some day, and if I won the lottery they'd populate one of the rooms of my custom built house :p. I'd also pay someone to build a huge transmission line enclosure for the same drivers, because reasons.

$3200 shipped is crazy good for those. You should jump on that.

B

bglav

Audiophyte
Hi Brady,
I had the rf7 ii system with the center, mains and surrounds in 5.1 for about 4 years. Powered with an emotiva xpa5 200wpc amp.

I haven't heard the 7iiis, so keep that in mind, but in my experience, the 7iis towers had a glaring weakness in the midrange. For me, it was distractingly bad and they didn't at all match the center and surrounds. I tried a few different eqs and processors but I could never get it to sound good to my ears.

The pros of the 7's series is that, provided you have a good amp, your ears will give out before they run out of headroom. The towers have a ton of bass and can sound awesome for movies. My biggest issues were:
1. The horns can be unpleasantly shrill for my taste. Some people love that sound though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt on that
2. The drivers and the horn don't blend (especially in the towers). It sounds like 2 different speakers, and when most of the sound comes from the horn, it sounds super thin (especially for dialog). EQ boosting in the midrange just muddies it, as the 8 in driver doesn't work well in upper mids and the horn doesn't sounds great as it tries to reach down to the mids..

My experience was that for some music and movies, the RF 7s were a "holy crap" experience that was amazing. Then for a lot of other songs or movies, they sounded terrible. Songs with a lot of symbols were brutal.

I sold those 3 years ago and went with the Ascend Sierra 2 bookshelves and my center, mains and bought some cheaper ascends for the surrounds. I use a rythmik sub with these now. For me, this is a much better experience.
1. the sound is much clearer now. Mid range voices are clear and textured and the RAAL blends NEARLY perfectly with the 5.25 in driver. If you get the towers, that is even better since there is a dedicated midrange on them
2. Within reason, no matter how I EQ the ascends, the sound very good with all material. Instead of EQ'ing the RF7iis to fix the speaker issues (shrill highs, muffled mids), I'm just adjusting them to taste.
3. You lose some bass for sure, but can always ad more subs. I've found a good sealed sub blends really well and makes up for a lot of the loss of bass from the individual speaker. If you get the towers and horizon, that won't be as much of an issue anyway.

Anyway, just wanted to drop my two cents in. Hope this is helpful. The best solution is always to hear them for yourself and decide, but I know that isn't always practical.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis