Need low profile fronts for 2.1 system. Should I use center channel speakers?

B

BobStrauss

Enthusiast
About to wall mount a new 65" TV and I'd like some bookshelf speakers to go beneath it, preferably low profile so they lay flat on my existing cabinet. The form factor of a soundbar would be great, but I don't want to sacrifice on audio quality, plus I already have a sub (Rythmik LV12R) I love.

In this situation, would it be all right to use center channels for my fronts?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In the interest of sound quality that you are after, I’d say no. The off axis performance of most horizontal “center” speakers won’t lend to being mains. For me, I’d rather build a riser for the tv or wall mount it. Or mount the BS speakers on the wall next to it. Or both!

B

BobStrauss

Enthusiast
Unfortunately, if I mount the speakers on the wall next to the TV, that'll require me to relocate a sub in a way that's a huge PITA.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. Just curious. Why would the sub have to move?

B

BobStrauss

Enthusiast
Our furniture would have to be shifted to accommodate that. It's really pretty tight in my living room as it is.

Rather than a center channel, are there any bookshelf speakers that would be okay to lay flat?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Understood. Maybe @shadyJ can offer suggestions for that. I do know they’re are LCR speakers that you can use vertically and horizontally, but afaik they’re likely too be too wide/tall to fit where you want.

B

BobStrauss

Enthusiast
My wife would be happiest if I just bought something like the ZVOX SB700, which I know has a sub output that would allow me to use my existing sub. However, I'm guessing you'd still recommend some kind of bookshelf/center/LCR speakers with a receiver over that?

I really appreciate the advice, by the way.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. Mine would too, but I also pay the mortgage!!!

Something like that could work. Just temper your expectations. Yes I would personally recommend a regular type of speaker but I understand compromise.
Glad I can offer some kind of help. Though it feels like not much.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Our furniture would have to be shifted to accommodate that. It's really pretty tight in my living room as it is.

Rather than a center channel, are there any bookshelf speakers that would be okay to lay flat?
If you use standard speakers with vertically aligned drivers, you will have major lobing issues if you turn them on their side. So you need a speaker with a coaxial driver like this KEF.

Another alternative would be this SEAS Loki kit.

As far as know those would be your only options.

B

BobStrauss

Enthusiast
Before my latest TV purchase we were using a Denon AVR-891 paired with three Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelf speakers (used as l/c/r) and that Rythmik LV12R. I understand it's nothing compared to most systems the enthusiasts here have, but we were quite happy with it. I'd hate to downgrade, whatever I do. If the ZVox would be just as good, I wouldn't feel bad about it.

My spouse makes as much as I do so I have to listen to her! A little bit at least.

B

BobStrauss

Enthusiast
I was hoping to spend less than $400 for a pair but I have some flexibility. I’m used to Boston Acoustics A26s, which are less than $150 each, so I don’t need anything that much nicer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why can't you use the Bostons still? If placing them literally under the tv I'd think it'd be about the same as a soundbar in the same place (i.e. I'd want my speakers L/R to be spread out further than the size of the tv for a good stereo image).

B

BobStrauss

Enthusiast
They’re about 9” wide. Would prefer to have ones laying flat that are more like 5-6”.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They’re about 9” wide. Would prefer to have ones laying flat that are more like 5-6”.
To my mind once you're dealing with drivers that fit into such a box you're more in soundbar territory....smallest speakers I have (but not used as mains) could work, altho 6.5", the Ascend Acoustics 200SEs; they're sealed too which might help with front wall placement issues.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Why not wall mount just a little higher? I know it’s irritating when a display is toooo high, but a few inches to accommodate some speakers might not be horrible.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I used to use a NHT Super Zero laid on its side as a center. It worked quite well. Use a pair of them. Don't bother with three as it won't be needed in that narrow of a space.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I don't know how much space you have but HSU CCB-8s are great in any orientation due to their design. I pushed up my TV a few inches so I could use one as the center (actually all 3 Fronts are HSU CCB-8s in my 5.2.4 setup). They are amazing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis