Need help with setting the PEQ on my subwoofer for a Yamaha rx3080

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Curious about what’s happening below 40hz. It’s pretty flat going down to about 100then rises going down to 40 and then it’s a cliff. I know your speakers go below that and can see some in the graph but that looks very odd.
Well, the reference level is only about 70dB. So the YPAO FLAT is down about 5dB from 15-35Hz. Not exactly off the cliff.

I played some more afterward on manual PEQ. Bass is a little hot, but that's my personal preference. :D

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, the reference level is only about 70dB. So the YPAO FLAT is down about 5dB from 15-35Hz. Not exactly off the cliff.

I guessed it was 75db sweep. But this is the part that is confuses me. That’s a 15db drop between 40 and 35.

I’ve watched(and enjoy) pride prejudice and zombies. Not a bass monster movie but definitely some scenes that have nice hits. I’d think you’d want to see lily James stomping zombies in full glory!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does this graph mean that with the Flat setting the higher frequencies are more pronounced than when using Through?
I think FLAT sounded ”bright” even before I made any measurements.

So I prefer Through Mode + Manual PEQ to boost the bass (20-80Hz).

Of course, this is just for my room and my hearing. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I think FLAT sounded ”bright” even before I made any measurements.

So I prefer Through Mode + Manual PEQ to boost the bass (20-80Hz).

Of course, this is just for my room and my hearing. :D
I completely, agree Flat sounds bright to me as well. I mostly use the Through setting too. So you copy the Through setting to manual and adjust the bass? You didn't do any measurements to adjust? You boost the bass frequencies on the sub with the manual adjustments and go by ear?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I completely, agree Flat sounds bright to me as well. I mostly use the Through setting too. So you copy the Through setting to manual and adjust the bass? You didn't do any measurements to adjust? You boost the bass frequencies on the sub with the manual adjustments and go by ear?
That’s about right. :D

I did the REW measurements with the UMIK-1 mic mainly for “fun”.

But at the end of the day, it came down to getting the bass that I want (by ear), not a flat graph.

IOW, the bass that I want looks more like this, instead of flat. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
That’s about right. :D

I did the REW measurements with the UMIK-1 mic mainly for “fun”.

But at the end of the day, it came down to getting the bass that I want (by ear), not a flat graph.

IOW, the bass that I want looks more like this, instead of flat. :D
Yes sir , you do seem to enjoy your low frequencies. LOL

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis