Need help with setting the PEQ on my subwoofer for a Yamaha rx3080

L

ldollio1

Audiophyte
Trying to see which frequencies to focus on, having a hard time understanding the PEQ for the sub woofer

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Nice sub. My understanding is that YPAO doesn't affect subwoofers, and the SB4000 doesn't have automatic equalization, so to use the PEQs you really need a measurement system like REW (you can search this site for threads about how to set it up) or OmniMic, which is a proprietary full solution from Parts Express. There are other alternatives too. Tuning by ear with test tones is possible, but crude and subject to trial and error.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is this in lieu of YPAO or in combo with YPAO? Other setup details? What are you particularly trying to do?

In any case @AcuDefTechGuy is fairly familiar with the ins/outs of the PEQ....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you talking about using the PEQ on your subwoofer or the PEQ on the RX-A3080?

If using the PEQ on the Subwoofer, then just set YPAO to THROUGH mode on the Yamaha.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Are you talking about using the PEQ on your subwoofer or the PEQ on the RX-A3080?

If using the PEQ on the Subwoofer, then just set YPAO to THROUGH mode on the Yamaha.
That won't set the PEQ properly though. With Audessey it would predistort the sub signal so the PEQ is unnecessary, but from what I've read YPAO doesn't. Correct?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That won't set the PEQ properly though. With Audessey it would predistort the sub signal so the PEQ is unnecessary, but from what I've read YPAO doesn't. Correct?
Set the PEQ on the SVS sub properly?

Bypass mode will just send the LFE/Sub signal untouched (pass through, no EQ) from the RX-A3080 to the SVS sub. Then the SVS Sub can do whatever needs to be done.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Set the PEQ on the SVS sub properly?

Bypass mode will just send the LFE/Sub signal untouched (pass through, no EQ) from the RX-A3080 to the SVS sub. Then the SVS Sub can do whatever needs to be done.
And that's the fundamental question - he wants to know how to set the PEQs in the sub.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
All true, but he still needs a measuring device to figure what the PEQ settings should be.
Indeed, I used REW after running Audyssey to adjust the PEQ. Some has suggested to run REW and adjust PEQ before running Audyssey, and when I have time I'll try that as well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Indeed, I used REW after running Audyssey to adjust the PEQ. Some has suggested to run REW and adjust PEQ before running Audyssey, and when I have time I'll try that as well.
Adjusting PEQ after Audyssey should get you a little better result, nothing significant to be audible though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
he wants to know how to set the PEQs in the sub.
Very carefully. :D

Personally I would only change the PEQ from 20Hz-80Hz.

If he feels that the bass is overall lacking, then he could manually increase the PEQ by 0.5dB increments in the 20Hz-80Hz regions to suit his personal preference. For example, set 20Hz to +0.5dB, 40Hz to +0.5dB, 60Hz to +0.5dB, 80Hz to +0.5dB, etc.

If he wants the bass curve to look a certain way, then he would have to do the REW measurements with the UMIK-1 Mic and play around with the manual PEQ and go back and forth until the FR graph looks the way he wants.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Adjusting PEQ after Audyssey should get you a little better result, nothing significant to be audible though.
Agreed, but I thought YPAO does nothing about subwoofers. Correct?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed, but I thought YPAO does nothing about subwoofers. Correct?
If you are referring to the much older models, that is correct. In fact, for those models PEQ was limited to 63 Hz sub or not.. I am sure ADTG knows a lot about the newer version.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I did not unhook the bottom cabinet. If I had unhooked the bottom cabinet and just hooked the top cabinet, the FR would not go below 60Hz much.
Curious about what’s happening below 40hz. It’s pretty flat going down to about 100then rises going down to 40 and then it’s a cliff. I know your speakers go below that and can see some in the graph but that looks very odd.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis