Need help with floorspeakers and subwoofer configuration

P

Pitman

Audioholic Intern
Speakers/sub have a single "crossover" in the avr. What sub crossover? Many subs do have an LFE setting for input that bypasses the sub's own low pass filter (very few subs have a crossover at all).
Oh no I misword it, it was a low pass filter knob at the back, not a crossover knob sorry...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh no I misword it, it was a low pass filter knob at the back, not a crossover knob sorry...
Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out....if its a low pass filter knob on the back of the sub or speaker, just set that to off or the highest level possible. You don't want to combine/cascade a different low pass filter with that coming from the avr.

P

Pitman

Audioholic Intern
Speakers/sub have a single "crossover" in the avr. What sub crossover? Many subs do have an LFE setting for input that bypasses the sub's own low pass filter (very few subs have a crossover at all).
It sure helps to have someone like you here haha thank you!!! sorry for being so noob at this. But thank you for pointing that out my friend.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
On his AVR....those 8's are going to fight that sub...best solution would be to return the towers for bookshelves. (if possible) I see those towers were on sale for almost half price though.
I’d still run them small over bookshelves , but 8” subs could probably handle full range signal . Especially since regular towers can maybe sub tower is flatter to 20 were a regular tower falls off at 40-50.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It sure helps to have someone like you here haha thank you!!! sorry for being so noob at this. But thank you for pointing that out my friend.
Can be confusing as many subs have what is marked a "crossover" but is just a low pass filter (particularly if you only have it setup with an input, would need separate output for actually high passing speakers, and not a common feature). Then there's the LPF of LFE (low pass filter of the low frequency effects channel) setting in some avrs (which is a way to limit the content of .1 ch for multich content that has such a channel).

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Can be confusing as many subs have what is marked a "crossover" but is just a low pass filter (particularly if you only have it setup with an input, would need separate output for actually high passing speakers, and not a common feature). Then there's the LPF of LFE (low pass filter of the low frequency effects channel) setting in some avrs (which is a way to limit the content of .1 ch for multich content that has such a channel).
The dial on the back of subs I set to 150hz or whatever the max is , I let avr handle the x over. Phase for 0 on my subs but sometimes people with rew know to change it .
set gain to half on-my big sub and 25% on my smaller ones.

P

Pitman

Audioholic Intern
Guys, can you help me understand this? It mentions about using a Y splitter. I don't understand what this means. Right now, I only use 1 RCA cable from the AVR's Subwoofer OUTPUT to my DN10 subwoofer's LFE input. The front speakers have LFE input but I'm not using that, I use speaker cables from AVR to Front speakers. What is "loss of control" means in this manual? Thoughts? thank you!
Screenshot_4.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guys, can you help me understand this? It mentions about using a Y splitter. I don't understand what this means. Right now, I only use 1 RCA cable from the AVR's Subwoofer OUTPUT to my DN10 subwoofer's LFE input. The front speakers have LFE input but I'm not using that, I use speaker cables from AVR to Front speakers. What is "loss of control" means in this manual? Thoughts? thank you!View attachment 60465
You're fine as is for what you're doing. What manual is this from, the speakers with powered woofers I assume? If the avr actually had separately independent sub pre-outs (the most common up til now is 2 indpendent sub pre-outs, such as used by Denon & Marantz in their Audyssey XT32/SubEQ equipped avrs, altho their most recent models can do up to four subs in such a manner....this is still just level and delay per sub, they're generally eq'd together), then if you put a splitter on one of them I suppose that could be construed as loss of control. Most avrs, though, even with two sub pre-outs are just an internal y-splitter, both pre-outs are identical. If using speakers with powered woofers as long as they were equidistant to your listening position it really wouldn't be a problem otoh. A splitter like this I assume is what they're talking about so you could use a regular male to male sub cable to each speaker.

P

Pitman

Audioholic Intern
You're fine as is for what you're doing. What manual is this from, the speakers with powered woofers I assume? If the avr actually had separately independent sub pre-outs (the most common up til now is 2 indpendent sub pre-outs, such as used by Denon & Marantz in their Audyssey XT32/SubEQ equipped avrs, altho their most recent models can do up to four subs in such a manner....this is still just level and delay per sub, they're generally eq'd together), then if you put a splitter on one of them I suppose that could be construed as loss of control. Most avrs, though, even with two sub pre-outs are just an internal y-splitter, both pre-outs are identical. If using speakers with powered woofers as long as they were equidistant to your listening position it really wouldn't be a problem otoh. A splitter like this I assume is what they're talking about so you could use a regular male to male sub cable to each speaker.
Hello there again my friend. Yes, this is the manual for the Def Tech speakers. So if I understand you correctly, I don't need to mess with the LFE connections of my front speakers even though they have an input available. AVR to front speakers using speaker cables, AVR to SUB's LFE input using RCA cable. I'm ok in this wiring? thank you!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello there again my friend. Yes, this is the manual for the Def Tech speakers. So if I understand you correctly, I don't need to mess with the LFE connections of my front speakers even though they have an input available. AVR to front speakers using speaker cables, AVR to SUB's LFE input using RCA cable. I'm ok in this wiring? thank you!!!
Depends if you want to use the powered woofers via the sub pre-outs. Thought you were going with DefTec's advise and not doing that, using your sub instead and just using speakers (connected with speaker wire) set to small/use bass management.

P

Pitman

Audioholic Intern
Depends if you want to use the powered woofers via the sub pre-outs. Thought you were going with DefTec's advise and not doing that, using your sub instead and just using speakers (connected with speaker wire) set to small/use bass management.
I tried it last night. Setting the speakers to Small, setting the crossover to 80hz, putting the low pass filter knob to max at the back of the sub. When set up this way, the built in sub of front speakers barely make sound anymore even at full volume. I have to put the volume of the DN10 Subwoofer to around 80% just to really feel and hear it. Overall sound sitting on my couch wasn't that good at all. Sounded weak. So I changed the front speakers to LARGE, crossover to 80hz still, the built in sub worked and sounded good around 60% volume. Sat on my couch, the overall bass sound sounded bigger and better. I don't know why it is better that way when the Deftech support said to set it to SMALL. One guy on the forum link posted above, also said the same thing. No matter what he did to his configuration, setting the speakers to SMALL didnt work out for him. This is my experience too...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried it last night. Setting the speakers to Small, setting the crossover to 80hz, putting the low pass filter knob to max at the back of the sub. When set up this way, the built in sub of front speakers barely make sound anymore even at full volume. I have to put the volume of the DN10 Subwoofer to around 80% just to really feel and hear it. Overall sound sitting on my couch wasn't that good at all. Sounded weak. So I changed the front speakers to LARGE, crossover to 80hz still, the built in sub worked and sounded good around 60% volume. Sat on my couch, the overall bass sound sounded bigger and better. I don't know why it is better that way when the Deftech support said to set it to SMALL. One guy on the forum link posted above, also said the same thing. No matter what he did to his configuration, setting the speakers to SMALL didnt work out for him. This is my experience too...
Hard to know the level of bass you want, some like more than others. Did you use the Yamaha double bass/LFE+Main type settings when you changed speaker to large?

P

Pitman

Audioholic Intern
Hard to know the level of bass you want, some like more than others. Did you use the Yamaha double bass/LFE+Main type settings when you changed speaker to large?
So this is what I noticed in the bass configuration. There is "subwoofer" and there is "extra bass". If I set the "extra bass" to NOT USED. The DN10 Sub doesn't make a sound. The only way to make the DN10 work is to Enable "extra bass" which confuses me as to what that means. I thought "subwoofer" is all I need for the DN10 to work. I don't know why I needed to enable "extra bass".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So this is what I noticed in the bass configuration. There is "subwoofer" and there is "extra bass". If I set the "extra bass" to NOT USED. The DN10 Sub doesn't make a sound. The only way to make the DN10 work is to Enable "extra bass" which confuses me as to what that means. I thought "subwoofer" is all I need for the DN10 to work. I don't know why I needed to enable "extra bass".
Not all that familiar with Yamaha, they use a different language somewhat. Subwoofer vs extra bass I'm not sure what that means. What particular model do you have and did you check the manual for guidelines? Could somewhat depend on the mode you're in as well as what codec/source is involved.

P

Pitman

Audioholic Intern
Not all that familiar with Yamaha, they use a different language somewhat. Subwoofer vs extra bass I'm not sure what that means. What particular model do you have and did you check the manual for guidelines? Could somewhat depend on the mode you're in as well as what codec/source is involved.
I have a Yamaha RX-871. The manual says Extra Bass Sets the speakers to produce the front channel low-frequency components. When ON, Both the front speakers and subwoofer produce the front channel lowfrequency components.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Yamaha RX-871. The manual says Extra Bass Sets the speakers to produce the front channel low-frequency components. When ON, Both the front speakers and subwoofer produce the front channel lowfrequency components.
Sounds similar to what I get in several avrs as LFE vs LFE+Main (in my Denons) or using the DoubleBass setting (in my Onkyo). Probably just means using front L/R speakers full range and taking the content from those speakers as well to the sub up to your "crossover".

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds similar to what I get in several avrs as LFE vs LFE+Main (in my Denons) or using the DoubleBass setting (in my Onkyo). Probably just means using front L/R speakers full range and taking the content from those speakers as well to the sub up to your "crossover".
On older avrs it’s a double bass , but on my old Yamaha you can set fronts to both so sub and fronts do bass duty .
I’d just go full range if I was op see how it sounds .

Last edited:
P

Pitman

Audioholic Intern
On older avrs it’s a double bass , but on my old Yamaha you can set fronts to both so sub and fronts do bass duty .
I’d just go full range if I was op see how it sounds .
Thank you. This is actually what I set it up now, full range/large speakers. It just sounded bigger/fuller filling up the room. I'm not sure if there are cancellation happening between the built in bass of front speakers and my subwoofer, to be honest I don't know how to tell haha.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you. This is actually what I set it up now, full range/large speakers. It just sounded bigger/fuller filling up the room. I'm not sure if there are cancellation happening between the built in bass of front speakers and my subwoofer, to be honest I don't know how to tell haha.
I have it set up that way In both my setups my ears aren’t trained enough to see if there’s any cancellations. Only of of them I can set exact crosssover and 80hz doesn’t sound any better as a crossover although that’s by the book.I ran these full a few times although they stop at 40hz ..

Last edited:
B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
okay now iam confused i just bought definitive speakers the towers have 10inch sub and center has a 8 inch sub. definitive, marantz, and SVS told me to set the AVR to large + mains for the 3 front speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis