Need help w/ Dolby Atmos speaker placement

B

Brian Smith

Enthusiast
System: Denon 6500H and Emotiva T2, C2, B1, E1 speakers

I will have my speakers set up as a standard 5.1 system. I would like to add a pair of Atmos speakers but I can't install speakers in the ceiling as I am renting my current home. I love some advice on my next best option.

Here is what I am thinking:

Option 1 - Add some Elac 2.0 Dolby upfiring modules to my front and rear speakers. The issue is they will be a different timbre, especially with soft domes vs AMT ribbon tweeters. In addition, the Elacs would hang about an inch off the rear Emotiva speakers and be a different aesthetic look.

Option 2 - Buy a pair of Emotiva E1 on wall speakers and mount them high on the wall. My concern with this approach is this is not a Dolby Atmos approved layout. Also, the speakers will be straight firing out into the room. Lastly, I don't know if this arrangement would work with Dolby Atmos and my Denon receiver?

If I were to add a pair of height speakers should I put them in the front or rear for Dolby Atmos?

Thanks in advance for any/all help! I'm really confused on how to add Dolby Atmos to my current setup.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I will have my speakers set up as a standard 5.1 system. I would like to add a pair of Atmos speakers but I can't install speakers in the ceiling as I am renting my current home. I love some advice on my next best option.

Option 1 - Add some Elac 2.0 Dolby upfiring modules to my front and rear speakers. The issue is they will be a different timbre, especially with soft domes vs AMT ribbon tweeters. In addition, the Elacs would hang about an inch off the rear Emotiva speakers and be a different aesthetic look.

Option 2 - Buy a pair of Emotiva E1 on wall speakers and mount them high on the wall. My concern with this approach is this is not a Dolby Atmos approved layout. Also, the speakers will be straight firing out into the room. Lastly, I don't know if this arrangement would work with Dolby Atmos and my Denon receiver?

If I were to add a pair of height speakers should I put them in the front or rear for Dolby Atmos?

Thanks in advance for any/all help! I'm really confused on how to add Dolby Atmos to my current setup.
What about the SVS prime elevations? From what I understand they are excellent for atmos and they can be ceiling mounted not just high on the wall. This way you get the overhead effect but you dont have to cut into the ceiling or anything.

From what I understand they are an excellent choice for atmos because they can direct sound right at the listener and they are not set into the ceiling so some of the compromises with sound with in ceilings are not an issue with the elevations

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Also if you want to timber match does emotiva have good bookshelves you could then ceiling mount and direct to the listening position. Bookshelves do make great atmos speakers if someone wants to make the time and elbow grease to ceiling mount them

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What about the SVS prime elevations? From what I understand they are excellent for atmos and they can be ceiling mounted not just high on the wall. This way you get the overhead effect but you dont have to cut into the ceiling or anything.

From what I understand they are an excellent choice for atmos because they can direct sound right at the listener and they are not set into the ceiling so some of the compromises with sound with in ceilings are not an issue with the elevations
These would be a good choice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you are not allowed to install ceiling speakers due to the lease agreement, then mounting speakers on the wall all the way up the ceiling pointing at you is fine. I think this will sound 100% better than any up-firing speakers.

If the house has an attic, you might ask the owner if you are allowed to install ceiling speakers. This will actually increase the value of the house because the ceiling speakers will become part of the house. Just make sure the owner approves of the speakers. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As ADTG said, mount them high up on the wall should work. I would also use swivel joints so you can aim them at an downward angle to the mlp.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I think if you are not allowed to install ceiling speakers due to the lease agreement, then mounting speakers on the wall all the way up the ceiling pointing at you is fine. I think this will sound 100% better than any up-firing speakers.

If the house has an attic, you might ask the owner if you are allowed to install ceiling speakers. This will actually increase the value of the house because the ceiling speakers will become part of the house. Just make sure the owner approves of the speakers. :D
You think bookshelf speakers are ok for apartments

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I don't need any Big Bookshelf speakers but I do want a pair that will match well with a center and surrounds for a 5.1. with a small sub. I live in a apartment can't do Big with the sub. I'm thinking no more than a 10" sub maybe even a 8" sub. Just enough to fill in the low end nothing that hits really hard I live on the second floor in an apartment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis