Need help selecting used sub for large room.

Y

Yakapo7

Audiophyte
room is 20 x 20 x 10. Also room is open on one side to the home. you could say it’s 20’x35’x10’

mains - JBL L820
AVR - Yamaha RX V6A
primary use - music 90%

budget - $300 (for used subwoofer)

I presume sealed would be ideal for msuic. Or should I go ported since I’m on a limited budget? What brands should I look for? What size and wattage?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With that budget and that room, size, you kind of have to take what you can get. You can't really be picky. I definitely would not get hung up on sealed vs ported. I would look at getting a couple Dayton SUB-1200s or one of these Monoprice SW-15s. You will be lucky to get a good used sub within your budget, in fact, I wouldn't bother unless you see a killer deal on something.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I presume sealed would be ideal for msuic.
You presume incorrectly. Despite all of the naysayers out there, competently designed modern ported subs sound just as good for music as any sealed.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

With a room that size and shape (a big square, ugh!) you'll want two subs if you want to avoid the unavoidable null that you will generate with 1 sub anywhere in the room. The 2nd sub is to be placed somewhere else to cover that null (and makes its own too). The two together with proper placement will allow the listening position to not just have a big nasty null. So whatever you get, get two of them. Even if that means two cheaper Daytons or something.

If you can increase budget by $100, you could go for two BIC F12 subs ($200 each). They're pretty solid for their cost.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Brands I'd look for would be the same we generally recommend around here....SVS, Hsu, Power Sound Audio, Rythmik, RSL, Monolith, JTR, etc. Mostly I'd avoid Klipsch, Definitive Technology and Polk (some of the poor reputation of ported subs can be traced to some of these brands' subs, too). I like shadyj's suggestions (he's our sub/speaker reviewer, fyi). You could look for a while for a used one to come up, too, they don't come up all that often, especially within your budget. Might be easier if you just mention where you're looking or some subs you spotted for consideration. Wattage doesn't mean a lot, hopefully the sub designer provided for adequate amplification for the particular driver/box.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Got caught up in “LFE-Main, Double Bass and Extra Bass” tinkering after reading another thread and put my little droid(RX-V6A) back into service this afternoon. I’m listening to music using two Dayton Audio SUB-1200s. Really enjoy them.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
room is 20 x 20 x 10. Also room is open on one side to the home. you could say it’s 20’x35’x10’

mains - JBL L820
AVR - Yamaha RX V6A
primary use - music 90%

budget - $300 (for used subwoofer)

I presume sealed would be ideal for msuic. Or should I go ported since I’m on a limited budget? What brands should I look for? What size and wattage?
Keep saving your $

Y

Yakapo7

Audiophyte
Ok, I’m going over budget and negotiating a deal on a used PC 2000 pro. here’s why. In the past, I’ve had small rooms with shorter ceilings and I never cared much for subwoofers (when using towers). Of course I’ve only had cheap boomy subs.

Now that I’m in this large room, none of the speakers I’ve tried sound right. I came to the realization that what’s missing is the bass. This may be basic stuff, but I thought subs were just for movies. I’ll spend more than I intended, but it should last me a good while.

edit
another reason for the pc2000 pro is that it has such a narrow footprint. It will not take up much space and it will keep the wifey happy.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, I’m going over budget and negotiating a deal on a used PC 2000 pro. here’s why. In the past, I’ve had small rooms with shorter ceilings and I never cared much for subwoofers (when using towers). Of course I’ve only had cheap boomy subs.

Now that I’m in this large room, none of the speakers I’ve tried sound right. I came to the realization that what’s missing is the bass. This may be basic stuff, but I thought subs were just for movies. I’ll spend more than I intended, but it should last me a good while.

edit
another reason for the pc2000 pro is that it has such a narrow footprint. It will not take up much space and it will keep the wifey happy.
The PC2000 Pro is an excellent choice for a sub. You get it set up and dialed in properly I think you're really in for a pleasant surprise.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis