Need help deciding on receiver. I have a few choices....

H

HDTVFREAK

Junior Audioholic
Thanks again for the help!!

Here are some receivers on my radar.

Yamaha RX V27000 or the RX V1800

Pioneer Elite VSX-01 THX or Elite VSX-03 or
Pioneer 1018

I am using Def Tech 7002 fronts, either 2003 or 2500 center, and BPX surrounds. HT room is 36 X 16 ft.

Price is not an issue with these...so which one is best for me? If there are any other choices that are better than these that are close in price range of them let me know.

Thanks again.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If budget is not a concern, I'd add at least 3ch of outboard amp to any receiver you choose. That's a big room to fill.

Just simply due to personal preference based on limited experiences, I'd opt for Denon, Onkyo, or Marantz if only for Audyssey product.

H

HDTVFREAK

Junior Audioholic
Ok.....

so which Denon or Onkyo would you recommend.

I am clueless, so you are basically saying that Denon or Onkyo carries that extra 3 channel outboard amp with their receivers?

Which ones would "fill the room" enough?

Thanks

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think those receivers are too light for their price. But if weight is an issue you can go with them.

I suggest an Onkyo SR805(600) if you want power from the receiver There is one being sold in the classifieds. I suggest you pick it up. The receiver weighs 50 lbs and will drive very very well for a receiver. It's THX Ultra certified too. It also comes with pre-amp outs and million listening modes. Make sure you get an ultra-quiet fan for the 805 it can get hot.

If the weight is too much look at my receiver the 705. It does a nice job. for the 400 price.

Yamaha's are good receivers so if you want to go that way you would be in good shape IMO.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

I am clueless, so you are basically saying that Denon or Onkyo carries that extra 3 channel outboard amp with their receivers?

Thanks
I was being a bit misleading or unclear. Instead of the actual room size, it's the distance you sit from the speakers that actually matters. If you sit only 8 ft away in your 36ft long room, I wouldn't listen to what I said necessarily. If OTOH you are sitting 25ft away . . . then I was suggesting adding ANOTHER component in addition to your receiver. Receivers typically don't have amplifier sections that can power movie theater volumes from 25ft, and the extent of this possibility is totally dependent on the characteristics of your speakers chosen as well.

p.s. SPL decreases exponentially with distance.

H

HDTVFREAK

Junior Audioholic
Well in response to that...

I will have two main viewing rows. One sits apprx 13-14 ft away, and the second row is 20 ft away.

What specifically do I need to use as a set up to drive the Def Tech 7002's that I will be using?

Thanks

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
7002's are towers are sort of two ways. So I don't know if you really need an external amp for them. If you get an 805 you probably wouldn't need one. They are rated at 8ohms. Though I bet they do dip down to 4. I think an Onkyo 805 would have sufficient power to drives those speakers in stereo music playing and in home theater applications. The reason I point you to an 805 is because it has a large power supply. Especially for a receiver. Anything 805 and above from Onkyo will do the job. IMO.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
3 channel outboard is a separate AMP

Thanks
OP he is suggesting you buy an external amp to drive the two fronts and center speaker. The Deno or Onkyo don't have an outboard 3 channel amp; they have pre-outs which could be conencted to an external amp. Actually most AVRs except very low end have preouts and an external amp could be added later. Howeverthee Def tech speakers have a fairly high efficiency ( 92 dB) and most decent power ( at lesat 100-110 watt RMS per channel) AVRs will drive the def tech 7002s and 2500 very well.

So don't exclude Yamaha, Pioneer, and Marantz. And be careful if you get a Denon; some of the lower end models do not produce that much power.

Because of the shape of your room and the two rows of seating and where you plan to put your rear surrounds ( you have discussed your HT threater layout in other threads; very nice setup by the way) you should be fine.

Good Luck,

MidCow2

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I will have two main viewing rows. One sits apprx 13-14 ft away, and the second row is 20 ft away.

What specifically do I need to use as a set up to drive the Def Tech 7002's that I will be using?

Thanks
Basically with Cow said. You could even use a mch amp, connected to the receiver by way of preouts. You connect any amp to any receiver by way of preouts.

If you end of using an outboard amp for all of your channels, you do not necessarily need a receiver, and could look at pre/pros. However, funny thing is that the pre/pros cost more, evenout with the amp section.

My advice: just use the receiver for now if you want. You can always add the amp later. OTOH, 20 ft, greater than movie theater volumes, I think you will add it pretty quickly. Just don't blow so much on receiver that you have don't money left to add amp if needed, cuz I think you will.

the front row is a good distance to start with acoustically, because that's right about at the de facto rec of 38% room length.

If you do end up using outboard amp for your 5.1, or 7.1 for that matter, and have a receiver acting as pre/pro, you can always use the receiver's amp section to run a second set of side surround (if you wanted to have dedicated side surrounds per row).

Also please budget for room treatments. HT's are desired to be very dead.

minimum rec would be treat first reflections at sidewalls and ceiling perhaps. Corner treatments for bass. Some go to crazier extents, and deaden the entire front wall, but still you want to deal with primary reflections firstly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis