Need help deciding on a projector

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Let me start with a link to show you how ambient light can mess with a projected image. Unfortunately, it's not your room and was shot after dark, so I'm using lights in the room, but you want to know how ambient light messes with a projected image.

http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

Now, I am down with front projection in a family room, but any ambient light is going to negatively impact what is on screen, and you will have to suck up the loss in quality. The fact that you have those speakers in that particular room indicates to me that you have some serious addiction problems already. (ha!) So, you will have to balance your need for image quality against the desire for perfection.

With the speakers where they are, and your setup, you really are in a motorized acoustically transparent screen situation it seems to me. Your ceiling is tough, and I would probably look to build a soffit in front of the speaker area which you can mount a screen behind (or in) to hide it, and have the screen drop down in front of your existing speaker system. I like that the area where the screen will be is reasonably dark without any direct light falling on that wall, but obviously, any ambient light will impact things, and the white walls and CEILING are especially bad in the projector world. Any chance to add some darker colors to that room?

From there, a projector like the Sony HW45ES still delivers about the best image available under $2,000 on the market. From there, a JVC RS420 or RS440 is an incredibly good way to go. Maybe get one of those for under $3,000.

No, I don't see a way to avoid an AT screen with the way things are setup.

Moving the screen forward a bit will allow you to get to a 120" diagonal for a bit more reasonable of a cost. But, you want a tab-tensioned screen, and those will run you about $2,000 at the very least for a quality model from DaLite or Draper. Yes, tab-tensioned, yes, acoustically transparent for best results.

Short throw, as you already found out, demands a perfectly flat screen, which causes issues when the screen is retractable.

In my world, I get rid of all the gear up front, move the subs out of the line of site, or leave them just under the screen, go to a flat center channel, and put the main L/R speakers on either side of the screen area. Put the motorized screen on the front wall into a soffit and have it drop down about 5" or so off the wall and put a 85" flat panel TV on the front wall so you get top-shelf daytime viewing with lights on or off, then press a button on the remote and switch to the projector and 133" of diagonal for movie night.
I really really appreciate the time you have spent in this thread and the other one the information you have given me is excellent stuff and very helpful.

Being a living room there are going to be some compromises. I won't be able to pull the towers back they measure and sound best at least 2 ft from the wall. I use 3 towers because quiet frankly I can't stand center channels. Period. The subs measured best behind my couches so that's where they were moved. So they are an non issue.

I plan to use the projector only at night and the room is dark with the lights off during the day it's pitch black almost during the night light control will not be an issue. I'll use the TV for the day.

I'm not sure what the item you mentioned building for the projector is. Could you link me a picture of it if possible?

As much as I love this you stated it best in another thread. The look I'm after is not complete perfection with the projector. That's impossible in a living room. But I'm willing to sacrifice some quality for complete and absolute IMMERSION. I liked that word you used. That's the word I'm looking for. The audio experience is good enough now that I want to lose myself in the visual as much as the audio.

I think I can get there better with a projector versus a TV. As you said and I believe it completely a big TV is simply..... A big TV.
Plus this is something you may understand. I've always had an issue with the intensity the perfection of HD. I love the softness of the cinema screen and want to replicate it.

Please keep your ideas and knowledge coming they are helping me learn a lot

S

snyderkv

Enthusiast
The giant surround speakers everywhere is very un living room like or WAF friendly. Suggest a dedicated room but if style and minimalism isn't your thing I'd suggest simply a large ass TV. Samsung has an 82" 4k 240hz for like $2400 bucks. I had one and it blew my 100" projector away. I don't think you'll fit much larger than a 100" projector and if you did, you'll still need a light rejecting screen which would cost you another couple grand for the best one. You can go ghetto style and just do a wall but you have too much light, hence a dedicated room or expensive light rejecting screen like DNP Supernova Blade (which I'm selling)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The giant surround speakers everywhere is very un living room like or WAF friendly. Suggest a dedicated room but if style and minimalism isn't your thing I'd suggest simply a large ass TV. Samsung has an 82" 4k 240hz for like $2400 bucks. I had one and it blew my 100" projector away. I don't think you'll fit much larger than a 100" projector and if you did, you'll still need a light rejecting screen which would cost you another couple grand for the best one. You can go ghetto style and just do a wall but you have too much light, hence a dedicated room or expensive light rejecting screen like DNP Supernova Blade (which I'm selling)
Hah hah hey thanks for the info.

I'm a lifelong bachelor and have no wife to worry about LOL. So I don't have that limitation er I mean distraction dough! I mean beautiful blessing in my life.:eek:

I can't use the bedroom I would prefer to convert so in the living room I had to compromise. I actually set up a 120 inch screen on that wall it looks badass.

Yeah the speakers are big unfortunately but it's a big wide open challenging area. So big speakers it had to be. I liked the endgame set up. Budget projector but it looks great good enough light control during the day that I really enjoy the picture even then

Best 700 bucks I ever spent. And for the record I'm really not a big fan of oleds and 4k and all that stuff at least not right now

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hah hah hey thanks for the info.

I'm a lifelong bachelor and have no wife to worry about LOL. So I don't have that limitation er I mean distraction dough! I mean beautiful blessing in my life.:eek:

I can't use the bedroom I would prefer to convert so in the living room I had to compromise. I actually set up a 120 inch screen on that wall it looks badass.

Yeah the speakers are big unfortunately but it's a big wide open challenging area. So big speakers it had to be. I liked the endgame set up. Budget projector but it looks great good enough light control during the day that I really enjoy the picture even then

Best 700 bucks I ever spent. And for the record I'm really not a big fan of oleds and 4k and all that stuff at least not right now
Good for you bachelor! Waf is stupid. Big speakers rule!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wait a sec! I just realized.... Does this mean my room has no style?!?!:eek: Lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis