Need help configuring audio for large Atmos theater

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Decided to move the projector behind the back false wall, increase the screen to 240", and get a more powerful projector... Just found a deal and pulled the trigger on this 7,000 ANSI lumen beast: https://www.christiedigital.com/products/projectors/all-projectors/hs-series/christie-4k7-hs/specifications
Gotta admit you've got balls not having an AV company handle all of this, because you're in the price bracket that, for me at least, demands customer service.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Gotta admit you've got balls not having an AV company handle all of this, because you're in the price bracket that, for me at least, demands customer service.
Think he’s got some sort of av guru forgot his name that’s helping him choose gear , so far seems to have done pretty well . What’s ops budget 70k+ now after adding projector?
what’s the gurus name ? And an installer is helping op also.

R

RuffTimo

Enthusiast
Hahaha, jumping from 160’s to 240”! Baller! Don’t know much about that specific Christie projector, but I’m guessing you were sold on the 7000 lumens?
Yep! Plus Christie's reputation as a commercial projection leader, plus I found a crazy good deal for a brand new one, nearly 50% off... :)

R

RuffTimo

Enthusiast
7000 lumens nice !!
Sounds pretty epic , I don’t have the budget nor the space for a theater room living with parents lol no job right now. Can’t wait to see pics of your build ! Like a mini imax :cool:
Biggest tv I have is non hdr 55” and I gotta bring it downstairs eventually . 240” screen wow nice ?!!!! Is that wall too wall?
Not quite wall to wall, the room is huge: 22' 7" wide, this screen will be 18' wide, leaving 2' on either side, which we'll cover in black velvet.

R

RuffTimo

Enthusiast
I'm assuming with the purchase of that projector, you've upped your overall budget considerably TS. Nice PJ by the way .
Only had to up the projector budget by $1,500 to go from the NZ7 to this, I found a crazy good deal, but now I may have to get a different lens, outboard processing for better tone-mapping, a drop ceiling with a glass window in the back that we didn't have before, so that stuff adds up! But no longer will we have a projector in the middle of the room in a hush box, so there's that...

R

RuffTimo

Enthusiast
Think he’s got some sort of av guru forgot his name that’s helping him choose gear , so far seems to have done pretty well . What’s ops budget 70k+ now after adding projector?
what’s the gurus name ? And an installer is helping op also.
Yep, Steve w/ HT Gurus, he's been amazing, I highly recommend him and his YouTube videos, which is how I discovered him... highly educational about all things HT, deeper and more insightful than other HT videos I've found, especially when it comes to speaker placement and room layout, which is what I needed because we haven't built our home yet. And yeah, your guess on the budget is pretty close, and yes we'll have a separate local installer, Steve is just the designer.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, Steve w/ HT Gurus, he's been amazing, I highly recommend him and his YouTube videos, which is how I discovered him... highly educational about all things HT, deeper and more insightful than other HT videos I've found, especially when it comes to speaker placement and room layout, which is what I needed because we haven't built our home yet. And yeah, your guess on the budget is pretty close, and yes we'll have a separate local installer, Steve is just the designer.
glad you found someone useful on there, so many people who don’t understand audio who makes videos . Mostly haters of center channels I see .. which have their place . But not needed for acoustic transparent screens .

Wow yeah I can’t dream of ever affording to build a home , jobs pay so little here. I can’t even find a desk job right now bad knees/ back injury lol I can’t even carry my plasma or 15” sealed diy sub anymore.
But that’s the best time to make a theater so you can run wires and stuff ahead of time and not have to fool around and rip everything apart twice .

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Steve is the best I encourage anyone to subscribe to his channel on YouTube he has a series of like 40 videos that cover everything I mean everything you can think of to setup your theater.

Speaker placement how to calculate your power needs. How to set up atmos how to run different room eq better. How to use a mini DSP how to use crown and behringers dsp for subs. I mean anything you can think of about home theater he covers and does how to videos on great guy

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Steve is the best I encourage anyone to subscribe to his channel on YouTube he has a series of like 40 videos that cover everything I mean everything you can think of to setup your theater.

Speaker placement how to calculate your power needs. How to set up atmos how to run different room eq better. How to use a mini DSP how to use crown and behringers dsp for subs. I mean anything you can think of about home theater he covers and does how to videos on great guy
Just wish I could carry my diy sub or my plasma , can’t lift weights bicep tear couldn’t be fixed. back injury from lifting heavy drain snake 400 pounds .
That’s incredible he tells you how to do all that stuff lol? Most YouTubers are crazy o_O and focus on bashing center Chanel’s and stuff .

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So one guy is making recommendations and a local company is doing the work? Hope everything works well but for my money I'd want the "HT Guru" on site if it were my money.

Even manufacturers like this do the onsite install to insure the system is intergrated to the room properly.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Great responses, everyone, thank you! The delay was worth it. :)

Some answers:

Stage: planning stage. House plans should go to engineering later this week, even then it's not 100% final. Can still shrink the room, make it deeper (increase ceiling height), etc.

Budget: ~$50K, could go to $100K if absolutely necessary (would have to sell the truck ;).

Welcome to AH.
You are doing this project correctly by starting to ask question early in your planning stage as many others wait until sheetrock is about to be placed and ready to install.

As to hiring a pro, may want to ask if you can see actual installs nearby. Your budget may not be enough for a pro job unless you can do a good part of the installation?

Keep us informed and add some pictures along the way.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis