Need Help Choosing Speakers/Sub for 5.1 Setup

A

adham

Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm new to the audiophile world and I'm looking for suggestions to choose my speakers and sub. I have no idea where to start. I know this has been asked a million times but here's my setup along with pictures.

Just bought an Onkyo tx-nr777. I will be setting up a 5.1 channel system. My room is already pre-wired for on wall speakers so I'd like to get speakers that mount on the wall.

I watch a lot of sports and listen to a lot of music (all genres). I also enjoy a movie here and there.

Is there a popular system or set that's reputable and doesn't break the bank? I'd like to stay around the 600 dollar range for speakers and sub. Again, it's a 5.1 set-up.

The room is pretty big and and open to the kitchen area. Open floor plan in general. Room is 27x17. That's 27 feet long and 17 feet wide.

I'd like to order something in the next day or so. Getting eager to set things up!

Thanks for the help in advance.

A

adham

Enthusiast
Here are the pictures of the room/setup.
Everything is ready to be connected other than the sub connection on wall plate. Parts on the way.

Attachments

S

Stuiemac

Audiophyte
Personal opinion I know surround sound is exciting. But since you have a decent start with the receiver and a great little budget. Buy some great bookshelves and then add a sub or grab a sub and some bookshelves and then add the center channel and some towers once your budget allows. Growing the system is part of the fun. More importantly, you get some bookshelves and can move them to the rear and get some towers and run a phantom center. Then build up to a center if you have more than 2 people in the sweet spot. A good set of bookshelves can start in the 100 to 200 dollar range and you can upgrade and go from there.

Go to a store and listen to a few different sets In your price point and see what plucks your heart strings. We can make recommendations all day but it's not up to us and we all have different tastes.

S

Stuiemac

Audiophyte
Also if you really want a 5.1 no matter what, (there is no .1 included aka subwoofer) the jamo s803 5.0 package is 549 on Amazon. Good set. Have a pair in white for a bedroom for the lady. Great little speakers. Danish company that are fairly neutral and not quite revealing as horns but still very clear. Then you could later add towers or a sub to make it bigger and Fuller sounding.

A

adham

Enthusiast
Ok I suppose I can build a system over time rather than getting something all at once. So starting with 2 front speakers, would something like the Polk S15 bookshelf speakers be a good option?

Amazon has the pair for $159.
I'd prefer to hang them on the wall since the wiring is already there.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Tight budget and a big room... ~3600'3?
The Sub is going to be a sink for your budget, but in all honesty... consider shopping for the best single sub you can allow yourself to afford. Then down the road, add a second matching sub... and then maybe a third. ;)

Other than that... what are your goals with this? In terms of audio... are you wanting to build to a high end system? If that's the case, @everettT has it. Start with just two small bookshelves that you can repurpose as Surrounds down the road.
You likely won't find them in stores, but SVS Primes could be a place to start... maybe not ideal as wall mounts, but you can build a good system around their product.
Another ID company u could look at for small bookshelves geared toward the high end is Philharmonic Audio, Affordable Accuracy +. He also offers a Center that is budget friendly.
Also, Ascend Acoustics has their CBM170s on sale right now. I've heard good things about them for small speakers.
Just some ideas to maybe help out.
Happy Hunting!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Randomly... when it comes to Sub shopping, spend some time reading some of he reviews here at Audioholics. And there are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly cats here that can help you out on the path.
Just ideas for where to start: SVS again... if you build to 3 over time, the PB2000 might be one to consider. But of very high quality at a value price, Hsu Research is well respected (VTF2 at least for your room... VTF3 would be better, and VTF15Hmk2 better still).
Beyond them, there are a lot more very high quality, hard-hitting subs that become available starting around $1000-$1500... and these are still considered "affordable".
Regardless, you will want a sub, and I would advise a minimum of a 12" driver for your room.
Cheers!

S

Stuiemac

Audiophyte
Speakers really shouldn't hang on the wall. Not the fronts anyways. Too much reverb and other sound quality issues but you can try it and see how you feel about it. Inwalls can be a great solution for people with space and or astetic restrictions. They have their limitations for sound quality though. That's why I did suggest the jamos as they are available in white for those astetic concerns.

But yes as others stated what your goals are as far as use and what sounds good to you will be the big factor. I haven't tried the Polk s15s so I can't give my opinion on them. I do have Polk 3 way LSi inwalls and they are good for all uses. But I prefer horns and metallic compression drivers so the Polk's don't pluck my heart strings with their ring radiator tweeters. The highs never sound crisp enough for me. They are great and I am sure many people could give you a better answer on the s15s.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Just bought an Onkyo tx-nr777. I will be setting up a 5.1 channel system. My room is already pre-wired for on wall speakers so I'd like to get speakers that mount on the wall.

I watch a lot of sports and listen to a lot of music (all genres). I also enjoy a movie here and there.

Is there a popular system or set that's reputable and doesn't break the bank? I'd like to stay around the 600 dollar range for speakers and sub. Again, it's a 5.1 set-up.
Lot of music, 5.1, large room and a $600 budget? Something will have to give I'm afraid, perhaps 2 somethings.

The room is a fixed size so that isn't negotiable. If you like your music than you like your music so that stays as well. That leaves just the numbers then; 5.1 and $600. Ironically, spending too little up front often results in spending more in the end. Why? Because you find what was purchased isn't sufficient and you have to upgrade to realize your goal. In the process you end up spending money twice.

As the others have mentioned, on-wall speakers are a sound quality compromise. If the type of music you listen to is for the discerning individual than you might find they won't faithfully reproduce it. If you're OK with that just be sure the speakers do not have a rear port. The other concern is the subwoofer... $400 is the starting point for anything good for music. Those subs are fairly small - frequently with drivers just 10" - which will likely struggle with the volume of space you have. That leaves just $200 for 5 speakers. Not really doable.

If you want to build up over time instead you could consider an RSL CG3 2.1 system for a little more than your budget. The speakers and sub are going to be on the small side but they are quality pieces. For roughly the same amount you could buy just the RSL SpeedWoofer 10S and get a pair of WaveCrest HVL-1 speakers. That would be another nice 2.1 system

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some good ideas so far. I'm curious about importance of aesthetic/size of speaker (color? what max size are you thinking of?). Also listening levels, i.e. how loud do you need this to be? The starting with a 2.1 for your budget would be a better way to go IMO....

A

adham

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input. I guess my budget doesn't really make sense. Looks like I'm going to to start small and build my way up. No rush.

I'd like a nice setup but not necessarily very high end like some mentioned. Occasionally, I would listen to music somewhat loud but not everyday.

As far as aesthetics, I like the look of the in-wall speakers like the Polk RT265. I get that they are a sound compromise compared to the bookshelfs.
The wife isn't going to go for anything on a speaker stand and with the windows there, there's nowhere to put the speakers other than on the wall or in the wall.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Check the systems here for some good deals.
https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=spksystems&skip_redirect_suffix=&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc

Of note:
The Definitive Tech ProCinema 400 at $250 (or the 600 for $350) is a good deal for a budget sat/sub system. However, you will need to add wall brackerts to your budget as they are not included.
I would rather see you extend your budget to $800 and get the Boston Acoustics package with the towers.
The Canton satellite/sub movie 95 system for $339 is likely a good option as well. Note that wall brackets are included with this system. I have not heard it, but Canton seems to provide good value (at the discounted A4L prices) They are a large German speaker company that does not seem too concerned with the USA market, which is why you likely do not know the name.

I don't think any of these sat/sub systems will do a good job filling your space at a decent volume, but if you need to go this direction, I don't think you will find better options price-wise.

Last edited:
S

Stuiemac

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the input. I guess my budget doesn't really make sense. Looks like I'm going to to start small and build my way up. No rush.

I'd like a nice setup but not necessarily very high end like some mentioned. Occasionally, I would listen to music somewhat loud but not everyday.

As far as aesthetics, I like the look of the in-wall speakers like the Polk RT265. I get that they are a sound compromise compared to the bookshelfs.
The wife isn't going to go for anything on a speaker stand and with the windows there, there's nowhere to put the speakers other than on the wall or in the wall.
Hey great idea on building it up! Did you already get the 265s ordered? I think they are a great inwall solution but they are large so please take note of the framing and or possible framing changes. Also if you haven't already ordered them see if you can find the LS265 either open box or used. They are a step up and worth the extra effort on finding a deal. I found a pair of ls265 and a ls255c on Amazon open box direct from audioquest. The 3 combined came out to just over 500$! The 265s definitely have a decent amount of starting bass. I was happy enough with it that I didn't go upstairs to steal a sub from the theater for nearly 2 weeks. They are great for larger rooms, the family room is 17 x 23 so that should give you an idea. Their sensitivity is great easy to power and they look wonderful (but large! Peeled off the little Polk sticker and painted the grills)
Lastly if you are going inwall and looking for surround remember the rears aren't all that important for quality. (Especially in a non treated room) so feel free to go cheaper on those. The fronts are the most important speakers you can get by far! Oh and if she is concerned with the astetics check out the jamo sub woofer. It's little it's white or wood or black, it's narrow and it digs deep and hits plenty hard for everything except massive rooms or dedicated rooms. I ended up ordering one for the family room with the Polk in walls because the lady is not a fan of seeing the KSW12. I likely will add a second but I'm picky about the sub crawl. Anyways good luck if you can't find the LS I am sure you will be happy with the RT line. If not return them or wait and upgrade down the line! Have fun and happy listening!

A

adham

Enthusiast
I went ahead with the Polk 265rt speakers for the front. Got the pair for about $360. Would it be wise to buy another pair for the rears or should I go with something cheaper like the polk 65rt speakers? I figured the price difference is only $100 for the pair and the 265's are better I'm sure. I know for movies the rears don't have to be the best, but do they make a difference music wise?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I went ahead with the Polk 265rt speakers for the front. Got the pair for about $360. Would it be wise to buy another pair for the rears or should I go with something cheaper like the polk 65rt speakers? I figured the price difference is only $100 for the pair and the 265's are better I'm sure. I know for movies the rears don't have to be the best, but do they make a difference music wise?
ill be the one. Go ahead and spend the extra hundred bucks. You will hear that surrounds don’t matter and all that but I’m the bread crumbs in the butter, and will tell you to go ahead and match them.
Now, I’m not saying that if you have some awesome golden ear mains, or something that you should match those(although you can), but I also don’t believe surround speakers should be treated as the lowest common denominator. Crappy speakers are crappy no matter what job they’re doing, and they can hurt performance. So yeah, go for it.

S

Stuiemac

Audiophyte
Agreed if the budget supports it you can happily spend it. For movies surrounds just have to keep up with output of the mains. The nice thing with having decent surrounds is having the speakers set to extended stereo for entertaining many people. Basically it will run your surrounds as a flipped stereo pair giving you good (not great but good) sound over the entire room at lower volumes so that the room fills with sound but one side doesn't have to blast half the room.

Depending on how difficult the framing lines up with the install the ceiling speakers could be much easier. They make matching ceiling speakers but they lack the extra woofer so you could feel they lack the same presence.

Good luck have fun.

A

adham

Enthusiast
That's what I'm thinking as far as better sound for music/entertaining and for only $129 more. Looks like the placement for the rear wiring is perfect. No studs in the way.

Going to get the fronts put in first and go from there.

As far as placement goes, it looks like I can get away with putting them a couple of inches from the left and right of the TV. Or should I put them in the left/right corners where the wires are located?

Attachments

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
but I’m the bread crumbs in the butter, and will tell you to go ahead and match them.
Crappy speakers are crappy no matter what job they’re doing, and they can hurt performance. So yeah, go for it.
"I'm the bread crumbs in the butter".................I love a great phrase. That was good stuff right there.
I had to mull that over to make sure I got it. Nice.

And you are correct. Crap is crap. And, surrounds probably won't make or break anything you listen to today.
Both ideas can breath in the context you put them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis