Need help aligning SW to my L/Rs

N

NightHawkIX

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble pairing my front L/R speakers (Klipsch RP-280FA) to my Subs (Klipsh R-112SWs).

I've got 2 subs in the front corners and fairly well balanced using a mini DSP:

However, once I run a sweep pairing either L or R with the subs (crossover at 80hz), I start seeing a large dip at 70 and 100hz, and a sharp peak at 120hz:

I've tried several different subwoofer delays to get the speakers more in phase, but this is actually be best I could do (+6ms). Anything up or down makes it even worse.

I've also tried going without YPAO EQ (worse); and manual GEQ where I kill the L/R speakers 60hz output and bump the 160hz output. The result was worse. The GEQ on the Yamaha TSR700 doesn't feel fine enough for this kind of work.

I do plan on putting some 3" acoustic absorbers behind the L/R speakers on the front wall as well as directly to the sides to cut down on some SBIR effects, but I'm pretty sure that won't do much at the 70/100hz problem areas.

Any suggestions for what else I can try? Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble pairing my front L/R speakers (Klipsch RP-280FA) to my Subs (Klipsh R-112SWs).

I've got 2 subs in the front corners and fairly well balanced using a mini DSP:

However, once I run a sweep pairing either L or R with the subs (crossover at 80hz), I start seeing a large dip at 70 and 100hz, and a sharp peak at 120hz:

I've tried several different subwoofer delays to get the speakers more in phase, but this is actually be best I could do (+6ms). Anything up or down makes it even worse.

I've also tried going without YPAO EQ (worse); and manual GEQ where I kill the L/R speakers 60hz output and bump the 160hz output. The result was worse. The GEQ on the Yamaha TSR700 doesn't feel fine enough for this kind of work.

I do plan on putting some 3" acoustic absorbers behind the L/R speakers on the front wall as well as directly to the sides to cut down on some SBIR effects, but I'm pretty sure that won't do much at the 70/100hz problem areas.

Any suggestions for what else I can try? Thanks!
It looks to me as if your sub is 10 db too hot. Subs too hot are a big problem. Wanting to really hear that sub is a very bad and common error.
I would not worry about that very narrow dip. It will not be audible.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Re 70 and 100 Hz, issues like that typically are more worrisome because they look bad on the graph, than ultimately audible.

Frankly, I’d be more concerned about the broad overall depression between 120-600 Hz (save the ~300 bump). No way a depression that wide is not audible. I expect the overall sound is very “mid-rangy.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

N

NightHawkIX

Audioholic Intern
I think I've fixed that 120-600hz depression for the most part by moving the front speakers around, but there's a weird bump on the right channel at 90hz that I can't get rid of. I've tried adjusting the speaker position closer/further from the walls, changing crossovers to 100hz, manually changing SW distance on YPAO, but it's pretty stubborn. Do you guys think plugging the rear port might help here?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think I've fixed that 120-600hz depression for the most part by moving the front speakers around, but there's a weird bump on the right channel at 90hz that I can't get rid of. I've tried adjusting the speaker position closer/further from the walls, changing crossovers to 100hz, manually changing SW distance on YPAO, but it's pretty stubborn. Do you guys think plugging the rear port might help here?

That bump is absolutely nothing to worry about. However your sub is still too loud and that will help if you turn it down. Do not plug the port.

N

NightHawkIX

Audioholic Intern
Thanks- for the sub, I was following some of the advice I've seen for a house curve (in particular Wayne's great post on HTS :) ), and i set the the curve to be a +8dB slope from 30hz to 100hz range. I might go back and change it down to a +5dB and see how that sounds, but I'm currently enjoying the curve.

Last edited:
N

NightHawkIX

Audioholic Intern
Put up acoustic panels behind the main L/R and at the first reflection points on the sidewalls. Then re-ran Sub-EQ on the MiniDSP and YPAO.

Immediately noticed a big effects:
Clearer mids. Treble details restored, but not fatiguing. Cleaner bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis